cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Infantry Museum

GreenSalsa
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone visited the National Infantry Museum near Fort Benning, GA? Is it worth it?

How long of a stay would you recommend? 2-4 hours?

I have an opportunity to drive by there and I am trying to find out if it would be worth my time to spend a day there (between Fort Benning and the Museum).

Thanks
GreenSalsa lives in North Carolina, but dreams of life on the road...
9 REPLIES 9

GreenSalsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!
GreenSalsa lives in North Carolina, but dreams of life on the road...

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
we loved our visit there and would highly recommend it.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Both the Infantry Museum and the Civil War Naval Museum are worthy of your time. Set aside a day and enjoy the two of them.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Was there about a month ago. I would say about 3 hours is right. Restaurant inside, might give it a try, we ate there. It is a very nice facility. There is a Civil War Navel Museum in the town (think that what its called).
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

older_hippie
Explorer
Explorer
Worth the time, don't be in a hurry

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Visited the "new" museum a couple of years ago and worth in my opinion. Of course it is free. Very similar to the Marine one in Virginia.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Visiting Andersonville alone on a cold, misting Saturday morning was unnerving for me just like the Little Big Horn.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I understand they have built a new museum since we were there 20 years ago. But the old one was very nice.I would say 2 to 4 hours would be right. There are some things in the area too like Andersonville and the Confederate Naval Museum.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup but a long time ago when housed in an old WWII wooden building! Was interesting then but a young shavetail thinks lots of things are interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad