cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Mexico winter suggestions

bedell
Explorer
Explorer
We hope to head to Tucson area in the winter but would like to spend a month or so in New Mexico on the way (from Colorado). Any suggestions of an nice RV park in NM? Social activities, conveniences near by, views etc. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
A suggestion: Head to Arizona and do your month in New Mexico on the way home. New Mexico is cold.

This is good advise. Or you could come to south Texas.
pawatt

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A suggestion: Head to Arizona and do your month in New Mexico on the way home. New Mexico is cold.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
I like Deming. The overnight temps usually get below freezing but the days are nice. Elevation is 4200 ft. Not much around for entertainment but day trips sightseeing are very nice.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Westay over night at 81 Palms in Demming one night every year we go down. It is very well up kept and very large spot. One of the nicest we've spent. Over the air Tv is all your going to get unless you set up a dish. Trains close by and I don't see much for entertainment in Demming. Friends of our stay a few weeks in TRC on the way home and seem to enjoy it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your criteria, I would suggest the Hacienda RV Resort at Las Cruces http://www.haciendarv.com/

I spend most of the winter in my RV at my ranch outside Deming. The days are usually nice, sunny & mild. It does get cold overnight in mid winter months(Jan-Feb). Each year is different, last winter we rarely got below freezing, but 3 yrs ago we had a week of single digit overnight lows. Its easy to prepare for the overnight temps and with a little common sense precautions, I haven't had any frozen RV water lines in 6 winters down there.
Tucson elevation is 2500-3000 depending on which area, and Deming/Las Cruces are about 4000 ft, which makes their avg overnight temps 3-5 degrees lower

bedell wrote:
We hope to head to Tucson area in the winter but would like to spend a month or so in New Mexico on the way (from Colorado). Any suggestions of an nice RV park in NM? Social activities, conveniences near by, views etc. Thanks.
Jim

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We once spent Christmas week in Las Cruces,NM. Water hose and outdoor faucet froze every night.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Albuquerque around New Years can get downright brutal. We spend a few days there visiting friends each year on the way to Arizona. I've seen 17 degrees with 35mph winds coming through Tijeres Canyon. Also snow along I-25 down as far south as Hatch, including Elephant Butte. Las Cruces and Alamogordo are a bit warmer, but as you go west on I-10 altitude starts to creep up and the wide open spaces mean more cold wind. Enjoy Tucson. A much better choice until spring.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nice park in Elephant Butte, NM right off 25. I have stayed there a number of times.
Nice folks, large sites, many activities. Cedar Cove RV Park.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends what months you are considering and if you don't mind cold weather camping as even the most southern points of NM have overnight temps below freezing Dec, Jan, and Feb. Elephant Butte, Deming, and Las Cruces all have good RV parks (see RvParkReviews.com) and are the warmer parts of the state during winter. We try to camp up to Halloween and have spent one Thanksgiving down in the towns mentioned above and experienced sub-freezing overnights but our rig we can camp into the low 20's.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Tucson is nice but NM depends on the time of year. Very cold north of I-10 in Dec & Jan. Have only passed through and not been north of Roswell/Alamogordo so cannot recommend a park. Stayed at 28 Palms ( I think that was the name) in Demming which was nice and the KOA just north of Carlsbad was OK.