cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to this. Best weather in winter??? Help?

readytogo94
Explorer
Explorer
My husband is 1 year or so from retiring and we're off after that. We are trying to gather all the info we can to decide where to stay in the winter. We live in Wisconsin and it sure isn't going to be there!

We do plain to travel, but we also are going to be on two social security checks and that's it so we have to be frugal. Although we will take advantage of boondocking, we do want to stay at one park long term once we get t here...and drive around in our car. We are planning to buy a used Class A motorhome...hubby is a mechanic and very handy. We'll have time to fix it up before we hit the road.

So far we have looked into the SW, mainly Arizona. I'm kind of thinking maybe Florida has nicer winter weather, more parks to choose from, and more to do...and I love that ocean. It will be a hard cell to hubs, but with more info...maybe.

Where have you found the best winter weather, the most to do, the nicest people and cheap campsites...all we need is basic hook ups, not a resort. We like the long term rates and will definitely join a club.

If anyone has ANYTHING that will help us decide where to go, please speak up. Every place is an option. We are getting rid of our apartment and will be free to travel. In the summer, we will RV camp out here in Wisconsin by family and, hey, our summers here are cool too.

In the meantime, no opinion is a useless opinion, good or bad. I am very social and am liking the idea of volunteering or working. Both of us are most comfy with down home people who are non-materialistic. We love animals and will be bringing our two mutts.

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Pam
50 REPLIES 50

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Best weather" is subjective.

You later say "around 70 most of the time" and the place in the continental U.S. that comes closest is the San Diego area (ocean side) where the winter temperatures tend to be in 50-70 F range without big daily temperature swings. However, winter is the rainy season, and the reason for not so much variation night to day is the temperature stability of the Pacific Ocean, carrying over to shore as moist air masses. Ocean temperature stability is also the reason the most popular wintering places are along the shorelines of South Florida, and just as with San Diego, this popularity and demand for housing makes "rent" quite expensive.

Once you get away from the ocean, temperatures are not "around" any particular figure "most of the time" because solar heating of the surface and radiation of that heat when dark or cloudy means average temperatures swing over a wider range day to night and day to day.

Desert climates have the biggest daily swings, and more variation as weather systems come through. Yuma, for example, enjoys daily highs in the 70-80 range November through March, but average daily lows are in the 40-50 range. Tucson's average daily highs are about 10F lower each of the winter months, the average daily lows 5 F lower than Yuma. In both places, short term extremes can go another 10 F higher, another 20 F lower than daily average lows and highs.

Rio Grande Valley, you can expect average daily highs around 60-70F during the winter months, with daily lows as much as 20F lower. But the extremes here can be scary, December and January highs have been below as 40F, as high as the mid-90s. Extreme daily lows have been in the 20s, but have also been as high as 70F.

The sort of climate I think you seek is most often found in tropical Oceana, where the latitude puts the climate in a warm zone, but the ocean keeps it from getting too hot from solar heating during the day. Moderation from ocean temperature stability also means that extreme highs and lows are fairly close to average highs and lows. Hawaii comes pretty close to "best", with winter month lows 65-70 at night in Honolulu, highs not much over 80 F during winter. Hawaii is far enough from the Equator that it does have measurable seasons, but they are subtle. But Hawaii is not a place you can drive your motorhome.

Your cost concerns are probably going to keep you from finding the "best" weather, so you might have to settle for the warmest weather that you can afford. I suggest the less heavily populated areas of the desert Southwest, and to be more consistently warm, this means somewhat south of Phoenix or southwestern corner of Arizona, southeastern corner of California.

I've lived in Central Florida, have wintered on the Gulf Coasts of Florida, Mississippi and Texas, and while often pleasant in winter months, the places are not frost-free and are subject to wide variations in local conditions as the continental air masses sweep through on a almost weekly schedule.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Birding is awesome in southern Arizona and southern Texas. They come up from Mexico in the winter. You won't be without birds. ๐Ÿ™‚

Although there are birds at the Salton Sea it's really not a very pleasant area and stinks quite often.

You've ruled out bugs so give Arizona a try. The sun almost every day does wonders for the soul! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
readytogo94 wrote:
Wow. You are all so kind and helpful.

We will definitrly try different places, including states that are not as busy for snobirds. I am looking at Alabama. I know people whoblove it there in winter.b

I am guessing we will end up in AZ and drive around to see the ocean ehen we feel like it.

I hate bugs. And hub is negative about Florida.bWe will see.

Laughing at wearing heavy clothes at at 50 degrees in the warm weather srates. in Wisconsin, I dont even wear a cost when its 50. Heck, at 30 I usually to just throw on a heavy sweatshirt.

So fsr, on psper, Yuma sounds good. We are not looking to spend a firtune. Our entertainment will be walking, hiking, checking out wildlife and birds, shooting, flea markets, chatting with friendly campers.

I would live tou be a host. I am a friendly people person. And we need to watch our budget.

Keep the great suggestions coming. We are going to buy a cheap used motorhome A or C as husband us a very handy man and a mechanic.

How is Nevada?

If you like Birding and settle on Yuma make sure you take a day trip to the Salton Sea, where the birding is awesome, until the Sea dries up that is. And make sure you drive up to Death Valley for a few days as it is a wonderful place to visit. I don't like Yuma as its wall to wall RVs for miles and miles but I understand its attraction. Someone told me once that Las Cruses and/or Alamogordo was the best kept snowbird secret in the USA and I believe it.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Since I live in Arizona & I have dogs so I will chime in here. First we are talking about winter so rattlesnakes will be hibernating. You are quite unlikely to see them after October and before mid-March. Second, if you're around when they are active they will try to avoid you if at all possible, if your dog isn't running loose it's pretty unlikely that it will come across one assuming you're here when the snakes are active.

As for valley fever yes it's possible, especially if the dog likes to dig. But not really very common. Over the years I've had 12 different dogs and only 1 ever got valley fever. It was easy to treat & she lived to be 14. Probably no worse a risk than lyme disease in other parts of the country.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

readytogo94
Explorer
Explorer
We will be camping in Wisconsin, our home state, in summer and autumn. Family there and summers arent that hot. So what we need is somewhere awesome snd cheap in the winter. A campground not in a big city is oerfect. We will be toading a car and csn get around. Some seasonal rates look way lower thsn apartment living. We dont care if its not fancy.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be more concerned about bees in AZ than rattlesnakes. In 7 years I have only seen one rattler, probably because they like warmer weather than you'd typically get in the winter. several people land in the hospital and die from bee stings every year. The bees are all Africanized and can be aggressive.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Millions of people live in Arizona and it seems the majority have dogs. Neither is a problem.
Yes, it CAN happen but it's no problem.......
Dogs can have issues in other states from ticks, fleas, alligators and copperheads, too.

To say it is 'not a problem' is a very "inaccurate" statement. It IS a problem and can be fatal to a large percent of those that get it. If diagnosed early it can be treated but is a long enduring process and not always a good outcome.

It is found in the ground which is EVERYWHERE in this region. Hard to pick a spot to camp where there is no ground!
http://www.vfce.arizona.edu/ValleyFeverInPets/VFID-dodogs.aspx

Ticks, fleas are preventable, NOT a severe and/or fatal disease.
Alligators? I don't let my dogs swim in the lakes of Florida.

Copperheads?
"The Southern Copperhead is limited in the state of Florida to the panhandle region, and is not particularly common there, which means most residents of Florida will not encounter one unless they leave the state.//...timber rattlesnakes have a limited range in Florida. .... and timber rattlesnakes are only found in northern Florida..... Florida's other venomous snakes occur in a variety of natural habitats, ranging from swamps..."

I don't camp in the swamps of Florida! :W

I was not aware of Valley Fever until a friend of mine's dog died from it in California. Finding out ONLY after an autopsy was performed.

'Many' more dogs that are not documented die from it because it goes diagnosed until it's too late and the dogs have to be euthanized the owners not knowing why unless an autopsy if performed which almost no owner wants to pay for.

I was made aware of it and "I" personally chose not to RV in that area with my dogs. I am glad I learned about it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Arizona? Do you have pets traveling with you?

"My" reason for not picking Arizona or anything west was rattle snakes and Valley Fever.

Millions of people live in Arizona and it seems the majority have dogs. Neither is a problem. Yes, it CAN happen but it's no problem.

Dogs can have issues in other states from ticks, fleas, alligators and copperheads, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
What makes me laugh is the snowbirds who all want to be south of the I4 corridor in Florida for the warm weather but don't want to pay for it. 60 degrees in northern Florida is still better than the 10 degrees you are fleeing from up north. I head to the northern part of the state in the winter for the 60 degree weather after a summer dealing with 96 degrees and 87% humidity.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona? Do you have pets traveling with you?

"My" reason for not picking Arizona or anything west was rattle snakes and Valley Fever.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Hottest spot in AZ (temperature).
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
pjsky wrote:
Yuma AZ is the sunniest, warmest, driest, most bug free place in the USA. We have spent 11 seasons(six months per year) there and will be going back for our 12th time his fall. I have said that when I die, I hope it is in Yuma because it is as close to heaven as one can be when alive. Nuff said.

Just don't die in the Summer or you might not think your in Heaven:B

The summers are VERY HOT.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to stay in 1 spot quite awhile, the southwest has some inexpensive private campgrounds for $300/ mo. or less. Not so much in Fl. If you don't like humidity you've got to get way south and west, mostly west. Don't forget Calif. Nice state parks. Also, consider desert areas.
Jayco-noslide

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I spent the last winter in Quartzsite. While I was in the LTVA with no hookups, there are many campgrounds in the area that have them. Very small town feel, great winter climate, and, although a little cooler than Yuma 90 miles to the southwest, an interesting area. A journal of the trip here.

Two years before I stayed in state & county parks along the Colorado river. A journal of that trip here.

While Florida is closer to my home in upstate NY, I have to admit I love the southwest. I keep planning to stay in Florida for the winter, but a few days putting up with the bugs & humidity, and I'm off to Arizona. I may try the Rio Grande Valley area of Texas this winter...