cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie on our way to Florida

Wind1957
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving Missouri on December 29th. Our first stop is overnight at Nashville KOA. We really wanted to stay at Stone Mountain December 30 and 31st. They are totally booked. Can anyone please recommend somewhere else to stop as we travel to Bonito Springs Florida. Really nervous as this is first time traveling and feel more comfortable booking sites before we leave. Do not want to stay at Walmarts.
Thank you in advance.
19 REPLIES 19

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Dittos on High Falls State Park in Ga. Make sure you go to the Riverside Campground which has some very large sites. The other one has small sites that are hard to get into.

Wind1957
Explorer
Explorer
tropical_ron wrote:
We tried to get in Sanctuary RV this year but they could not accomadate our 3 months stay...we called in August and they were booked !!! Better luck next year. Really nice campground; we'll be back.

We have a 30 amp site. Could only get the month of January and I was on a waiting list for months. Have heard its really nice and we are very excited.

Ginny

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:

We had an terrible site, pool was nasty dirty. All the different things in the park cost money for each thing. Spent a fortune for a family of 4. I'd much rather stay at a state park or Corp of engineer park.

To each his own, I guess.

But nobody forced you to do any of those things that you complained about costing money.

Most of them don't even exist in a State or Federal site.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam Spade wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
You really aren't missing much at Stone Mtn. It is probably our least favorite campground we have been to.

Why do you say that exactly ?

I think it has a LOT to offer, both right there on the grounds and it's only about 20 minutes from Metro Atlanta.

Lots of trees, nice lake and a golf course even.

We had an terrible site, pool was nasty dirty. All the different things in the park cost money for each thing. Spent a fortune for a family of 4. I'd much rather stay at a state park or Corp of engineer park.

To me being 20 min from ATL is not a plus, I've lived 30 minutes south of ATL for 9 years, and I've yet to find the draw of the place. The Mountains up north are nice, and a few of the lakes are ok. I can't wait to retire and go back to Alabama.

I guess it depends on what you like in a campground. My best friend that we camp with a couple of times a year likes more commercialized campgrounds, where we prefer to get away from things.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't stayed there yet. A few years ago it was a migrant farm camp. It has come a long way.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
tropical_ron wrote:
We tried to get in Sanctuary RV this year but they could not accomadate our 3 months stay...we called in August and they were booked !!! Better luck next year. Really nice campground; we'll be back.

When were there in February of this year they were running a lottery on spaces for next year - you should find out about it for 2018
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
You really aren't missing much at Stone Mtn. It is probably our least favorite campground we have been to.

Why do you say that exactly ?

I think it has a LOT to offer, both right there on the grounds and it's only about 20 minutes from Metro Atlanta.

Lots of trees, nice lake and a golf course even.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Wind1957 wrote:
Bears Den wrote:
Wind1957, where are you staying in Bonita Springs?

We are traveling to Sanctuary RV resort to stay month of January.

Excellent new park we stayed there the month of February this year -
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Wind1957
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:

We are traveling to Sanctuary RV resort to stay month of January.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If we're leaving from Nashville we stop at High Falls SP in GA about as far as we want to travel in a day. We'll be leaving Nashville Dec 21 and will stop there, Carrolls is 407 miles from Nashville, High Falls SP is 295. They have 50amp pullthrough sites and senior discount. It's a very nice park we always stay in the upper campground wher the pull throughs are most are good level sites and as we travel n the off season we have always gotten a site without reservations. It's about 2 miles off I75 but a straight shot from the Exit 198.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III

Check recreation.gov for the campgrounds on lake Allatoona, just north of ATL, there is also Redtop Mountain State Park on the lake.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cracker Barrel but it usually costs me $25.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...