cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Next on the List: Train Rides

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the next couple of years we're going to try to do the train rides near our destinations. One on the list will be the the Hiwassee Loop train ride out of Etowah, TN during our trip to the Chattanooga area.

On a different trip we'll stay at Pegasus Farm Campground and take the the Durbin and Greenbrier Valley RR out of Elkins, WV.

Any other one day RR excursions that you've enjoyed and would suggest?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
27 REPLIES 27

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Train Ride.

We stayed at Whit's End CG.

We stayed here.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
All of the others I am familiar with have been mentioned at least once so I won't repeat them, I did not see either of these mentioned (pardon me if they have been)

Blue Ridge Georgia Scenic Railroad, from Blue Ridge, GA to McCaysville, GA/Copperhill, TN

http://www.brscenic.com/

Georgia SAM short line RR that runs from Cordele, the GA Veterans State Park to Plains and Americus.

https://samshortline.com/

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
Agawa Canyon out of Sault Ste. Marie is a 114 mile one way day trip into the Canadian Wilderness. Well worth the trip.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
In October of 2016, I led our car club on a trip to Chama, NM. We rode in a 1934 Galloping Goose railcar from Chama to Cumbres Pass and back through the most gorgeous aspen I have ever seen. The C&TS RR and the Galloping Goose Historical Society run this trip every fall and it is worth every penny!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
SAM short line form Cordele GA to Plains. Train makes a stop and picks up at GA Veterans State Park. Worth a ride if you are spending time in the area.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
You'd think someone would have come up with a website of all the active tourist trains in North America, best I can find is the Top 10, or similar.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I definitely recommend the Cumbres & Toltec Steam Railroad. You ride the train one way and a bus the other. I recommend the train from Antonito to Chama and the bus back. That direction you start in the high arid desert like area and climb into and thru the mountain passes, gorges, and high alpine meadows, before descending in Chama. Going out on the open air car is great for picture taking.

You can also ride from either end to the midpoint (Ozier) and return via train rather than the bus. BTW, the food at Ozier is excellent!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Agawa Canyon Tour Train Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada - right over the border from Michigan - Breakfast on the train is included - great trip
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We had a fantastic ride about 5 or 6 years ago, we, read that as ME and 4 women, spent a few days at Chena Hot Springs doing some Aurora watching and then the AK RR from Fairbanks to Anchorage. That was more exciting than the Trans- Siberian RR. They have full service parlor car and they open one side of the baggage car and allow you to go back there and take photos or just watch the critters and scenery. They even put out folding chairs in the baggage car. It's a White Flag train and also delivers the Sunday paper to couple of 80+ years on their homestead miles from any other folks.

We not only stopped to let a family of four off in a snow field so they could do some back country snow camping, we picked up a group of about 6 or 8 twenty somethings who had been out camping.

Stopped in Denali and took a lot of photos of this big mountain covered in snow but without is normal cloud cover.

This past fall we took the White Pass and Yucon Route tourist train. Really a cool trip. Much better than driving it in the MoHo. I did get this shot of Big Foot.

I'm trying to get the DW interested in Verde Valley and seeing as how we're heading that way next week...
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Smoky Mountain Railway out of Bryson city NC

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to add the Texas State Railroad in Rusk, Texas to the list though I have not been on it since it was privatized a few years ago. There is even an RV campground at the Rusk end of the line at the former state park by the Rusk depot. I do have my concerns about the large number of family theme excursions since privatization, it seems most trips are now Easter or Polar Express themed.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave2001 wrote:
Cass Scenic Railroad is about 50 miles from your campground. Great ride up the mountain using shay locomotives. Definitely a good day trip.

X2 IMHO, this is the best train ride on the east coast! Their coal fired steam locomotives zig-zag up the side of a mountain and you ride in open air cars. The view is awesome especially in the fall when the leaves start changing color. If you book ahead, you may be able to stay overnight in a real caboose on top of Bald Knob.

Bald Knob

Video
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

htss
Explorer
Explorer
1880 train connects Keystone, SD and Hill City, SD. It is a fun ride.
https://www.1880train.com/
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids