cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

north ca coast.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
looking to take my mom on a short week - week and half trip up the coast north of marin county. come this july aug, (out of town during the bad heat time).
any recommendations for a older lady with a short walking distance. that trips/falls. uses a cane or walker.
want to see a lot of the ocean cliffs, maybe a museum or two, local known sights?
nothing to rush-rush, just a easy trip with lots of nothing time kinda thing.
me i have a 25 ft fifth wheel so can get in most anywhere, full hookups, to boon docking no problem.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun
5 REPLIES 5

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
at this time yes she has a wheel chair, a walker(with built in seat), and many canes.
all will be going along.
that beach chair will be interesting.
checked with my employers vac chart, and all of the weeks i want have open slots so next week will be calling up camp grounds to reserve a spot. want to try and do this early in the year so just maybe i can get in. and then claim time off work.
going to go after the 4th of july campers have gone home and back to work.
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
just out having fun

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
If she is willing to use a wheelchair, perhaps you can rent one and take it along on the trip. I have found that many so-called accessible places are designed for a person in a wheelchair with a pusher (think long ramps or boardwalks), not for a partially-able person who can walk but not very far.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
if she can find the placard, she has found the one she thought had been stolen, but can not find the replacement one.
yes i expect to do a lot of just driving around, thinking two or three camp places, and work out in the truck from them.
a mile walk, doubt she could do that (one way) in even three days.
but if it gets her out it will be worth any hassles.
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
just out having fun

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
MacKerricher State Park has a nearly-flat boardwalk that is about a mile long near the cliffs. A rollator-style walker with a seat would be better than a regular walker for this path. Then she could rest as needed. There are resting benches, but they are fairly far apart.

I found this info on the McK SP web page: "A beach wheelchair, free of charge, is available upon request for use at California State Park beaches in the Mendocino coast area. Call (707) 937-5721 at least 7 days in advance to reserve the beach wheelchair. Please note the wheelchair does not fold up and you will need a truck or SUV to transport the wheelchair from the kiosk or Visitor Center to the beach."

I use a rollator or walk with a cane myself and have a pretty limited range these days, but I still manage to have some very enjoyable trips. Last June I did the coast southbound from Newport, Oregon, to Bodega Bay.

Googling around for accessible Northern California led to a bunch of sites such as Accessible trails in Sonoma County. This website reminded me of how much I enjoyed visiting Fort Ross and being able to view it from an area that is off-limits to those without a disabled parking pass. Walking in from the regular parking area would have been impossible for me.

If you and your mother enjoy scenery as seen from your parked vehicle or on very short walks, explore harbors and boat launch areas. Bodega Bay and Bodega Head are good for scenery and people-watching.

Does she have a disabled parking placard? If yes, take that along. You can use it as long as she is in the vehicle; she doesn't have to be the driver. Some of the disabled parking spots have pretty good views. California State Parks offer a disabled discount pass, good for half off camping or day use. Info here. Both of these passes take some time to process and require a doctor's signature.

Have a great trip!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest staying in Pomo in Ft. Bragg (nice RV park) and then driving your truck each day to places like Mendocino for the cliffs and the shops. Russian Gulch, Van Damme, and other state parks are nice.

But the whole area is kind of hilly -- not easy for a walker.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."