cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Tier States, Best time for trip

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's another Best time to Visit thread. This one is for folks with no time restrictions, like retired folks who have toured or live in the areas.

Would like to take a trip from New England to the PNW, spending some time seeing the states west of MI and just south of the Canadian border. I'm thinking roughly 10 weeks next year.

I'm thinking I'd go late in the season, attempting to get home mid Oct, which means leaving the beginning of August. Any thoughts on this time frame? Figure for a few stops I'll need reservations, like Glacier.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
20 REPLIES 20

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Have been out that way in the summer months. Had snow on the ground in CO, WY & MT late May/early June. LOVE late August/early September in that area. Kids are heading back to school around mid-August in a lot of areas so after that point it does quite down SOME. And I emphasize SOME because it can still be busy. The bear jams and the like don't bother us-it adds a certain social aspect to the experience. Come September the male elk are bugling away, have their big racks and are beginning the rut. Baby animals aren't newborns anymore but are still babies and more visible than in the spring. If I had that kind of time I'd think about Jasper and Banff as well, but if you want to stay stateside don't miss WY and MT. The Rockies in CO are beautiful as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
I remember our Alaska trip and we drove thru Montana in late May. Great crisp, cool days, lots of green grass, no crowds. On our return in last August, Montana was great again. Later trips to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, S.Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan were all in the late summer and into October. Great weather and no crowds--school was back in session. So--IMO--we like the fall travel best.

LFish
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with above post and more info from Washington State: The spring months through May can be pretty wet. June is cloudy but it doesn't rain as much. After the 4th of July, the weather stays sunny and warm through the end of September. The best pass for the shoulder season is Snoqualmie Pass. You can check pass conditions at http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
A couple factors to think about in your decision on when to visit out here. (1) Spring: Snow at the higher elevations...some Mt. passes are closed until late spring/early summer because of the snow pack (e.g. the N. Cascades Highway (WA-20) here normally does get plowed for opening until about Memorial Day, the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP is even later. Mt. Passes in CO, UT, etc. are at higher elevations than these two.) Snow pack in Washington Cascades is currently at 120% of a normal year. The main highways get plowed, but research campgrounds for snowpack and opening dates. (2) Autumn: Fires. Each year the summer fire season in the mountains out here and in the arid regions in between seem to get worse and last longer. Last September the day before were to leave home to pull our TT to West Glacier, the fire near their exploded and the entire region was evacuated. Needless to say, our plans changed immediately. The huge region between and including the Cascades to the Rockies is prime each year. The Olympic Mts. not so much so.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Padlin you have targeted the heart of the watermelon.
The spring can also be a great time to out there.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The spring snow on the mountains is nice.

The fall colors and the elk horns is nice.

Less people when kids are in school.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos