cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocean Lakes - Myrtle Beach SC

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but I did want to pop a quick review at the end of our stay here.

First of all, the place is huge. The sites are a mix of back-ins, pulls throughs, sand and grass, and concrete. There are also a bunch of cottages. All together there are close to 900 sites, and even off season the occupancy rate seems to be about 65%. It's hard to say because the maintenance staff plays some kind or musical chairs game with empty sites and the trailers they store for the winter, even thought there's a storage lot across the street. Also, one entire section is closed for the construction of a water park, which may explain the apparent occupancy rate. But there's no way around it, the place is big.

Everything you need is either on the property or within biking distance. On site there are several bath houses, a small store, laundry, a cafe type place to eat, golf cart rentals, and RV repair service.

There's a Walmart grocery across the boulevard, a super Walmart a mile away. There's a Camping World a mile away, and mobile service from Carolina RV. Enterprise car rental in Myrtle (not the airport) has pick up service right to your site.

There's a full liquor store about a mile south on business route 17 (something funky about SC liquor laws - beer and cigarettes are in a separate store from wine and liquor), and restaurant row north on Bus 17. We can recommend the Noizy Oyster for seafood. Get the steam bucket for 1 and an order of mussels.

Our site was 1 row back from the Atlantic Ocean beach.

It just doesn't get any better.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
25 REPLIES 25

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
...Every year, we hit Chuck's Steak House for dinner on the final night. Highly recommended. They're right on US 17. And on a table by the front door, they had a huge fish bowl full of golf tees with "Chuck's Steak House" printed on them. I still have a few left.

One of our favorites by far as well.

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed many times at Ocean Lakes, Pirate Land, and Travel Park in North Myrtle. Enjoyed each of them.

Think it was in Michigan, went in to a hardware store to get a tool I needed. On checking out I asked where a liquor store was. They said in back of store on left side. Good went back to checkout and said don't reckon you have milk also.
Great, bought all three at one store. Would have gone to 3 stores down here.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Great points. I'm nastolgic for the long gone Myrtle Beach too. And I never was there.

I also understand that any trip to the beach is better than no trip to the beach! Amen.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:
Odd man out...we stayed once last summer for 4 nights. It was a neat thing to experience ONCE. Otherwise, I didn't buy a camper to feel like I was in the city...I bought it to get out of the city.

Myrtle Beach, in general, feels like the Walmart of beaches.

First many of us older folks remember MB for what it once was. A quick beach trip to chase girls, and Shag. The Southern Beaches have their own music. simply called "Beach Music" Like no where else in the world. And many of us keep going back even though "that" Myrtle Beach is long gone.

As for MB camping. The sad part is. Myrtle Beach has the only Ocean Front campgrounds within easy reach of folks in North, and South Carolina. There is only ONE Ocean Front CG between MB, and the OBX, and it is rather small. And the OBX are a pretty long drive from most of NC. So IF we want to camp at the beach. MB is pretty much the only choice.

One of the great things about NC, and SC. You can have breakfast in Boone in the mountains, and easily have Supper in Myrtle Beach.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Odd man out...we stayed once last summer for 4 nights. It was a neat thing to experience ONCE. Otherwise, I didn't buy a camper to feel like I was in the city...I bought it to get out of the city.

Myrtle Beach, in general, feels like the Walmart of beaches.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've been back to MB since I retired and bought my RV, and stayed at Ocean Lakes because they have pull thrus and I tow a Jeep 4 down. But before that, 12 of us guys from work would fly down for 9 days of golf. All the hotels have golf packages. We never did play all of them, but we tried.
Every year, we hit Chuck's Steak House for dinner on the final night. Highly recommended. They're right on US 17. And on a table by the front door, they had a huge fish bowl full of golf tees with "Chuck's Steak House" printed on them. I still have a few left.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use "cottages" because they are all jammed in together near the beach. That's what we called them on the Jersey shore. As for size, don't forget that the turn of the century mansions in Newport RI were called cottages as well. lol
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Here in SC beer, wine, can be sold just about anywhere, but not anytime. Counties/Towns have to approve Sunday beer or wine sales. Liquor stores can sell liquor, wine, and mixers. Liquor stores have state set hours, closed on Sunday's, and have limitations in regards to locations relative to schools and churches. There are many beverage stores that have two sides ( and two doors) one for beer and wine sales and one for liquor.

Actually it's a bible belt thing (south)...have lived in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and even Massachusetts for comparison. All the southern states have liquor not sold in grocery stores like you can get beer and wine. Just like in new Hampshire, NC has the government controlled ABC stores. SC has red dot liquor stores and Georgia has liquor stores. I remember being surprised to see liquor in the grocery stores in Massachusetts when we lived there.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
sounds pricy? but 900??????????? a small City.

They had their own Post Office when we went there!

jplante4, thanks for your post.... glad you enjoyed your self! We hope someday to get back down there!

Mike

Yes, the post office has been there for a long time. It's for the permanent residents in the "cottages"...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
zackyboy3rs wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the previous thread, but I did want to pop a quick review at the end of our stay here.

First of all, the place is huge. The sites are a mix of back-ins, pulls throughs, sand and grass, and concrete. There are also a bunch of cottages. All together there are close to 900 sites, and even off season the occupancy rate seems to be about 65%. It's hard to say because the maintenance staff plays some kind or musical chairs game with empty sites and the trailers they store for the winter, even thought there's a storage lot across the street. Also, one entire section is closed for the construction of a water park, which may explain the apparent occupancy rate. But there's no way around it, the place is big.

Everything you need is either on the property or within biking distance. On site there are several bath houses, a small store, laundry, a cafe type place to eat, golf cart rentals, and RV repair service

There's a Walmart grocery across the boulevard, a super Walmart a mile away. There's a Camping World a mile away, and mobile service from Carolina RV. Enterprise car rental in Myrtle (not the airport) has pick up service right to your site.

There's a full liquor store about a mile south on business route 17 (something funky about SC liquor laws - beer and cigarettes are in a separate store from wine and liquor), and restaurant row north on Bus 17. We can recommend the Noizy Oyster for seafood. Get the steam bucket for 1 and an order of mussels.

No back-in spots that I have seen. All are pull- thru.

Yep and while there are some smaller homes, I wouldn't equate them all to "cottages"...if some of those are cottages to you, then my hats off to you and your mansion...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Are they putting the water park between Ocean Lakes and Pirateland? I remember when the original amusement park was open. When I was a kid it had an entrance from Pirateland across a bridge.

Glad you enjoyed it. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from Pirateland and Ocean Lakes. We'd go down there every year in our '76 Winnebago Brave. Someday I'd like to get back down there, ideally in my RV.

Pirateland is on the other side of Lakewood...which is on the other side of the MB Resort (big condo building to the north).
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

First of all, the place is huge. The sites are a mix of back-ins, pulls throughs, sand and grass, and concrete. There are also a bunch of cottages. All together there are close to 900 sites, and even off season the occupancy rate seems to be about 65%.

that's in the 2000 section, pretty much Ocean Front. second row over from Myrtle Beach resort, this separates Ocean Lakes CG from Lakewood CG. glad you enjoyed
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
Are they putting the water park between Ocean Lakes and Pirateland? I remember when the original amusement park was open. When I was a kid it had an entrance from Pirateland across a bridge.

Glad you enjoyed it. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from Pirateland and Ocean Lakes. We'd go down there every year in our '76 Winnebago Brave. Someday I'd like to get back down there, ideally in my RV.

Pirateland is NOT beside Ocean Lakes. Lake wood, and Pirateland are beside each other. OL is down the beach couple hundred yards from them.

Ah! It was Lakewood I was thinking of then. I guess I've never been to Ocean Lakes. Thanks for the clarification.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of OL prefer Lakewood. I was hit by a 9 year old driving a golf cart at 11PM and security didn't do a thin. Also with all the houses being built its looking like the Bronx