cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Organ Pipe National Monument

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just about the only corner of Arizona we had not explored was Organ Pipe National Monument. Normally by the middle of May it is far to hot to even consider but this year has brought the coolest May in recent history. We drove the 177 miles from our home north of Tucson taking state 86 southwest to its intersection with 85 at the "Town" of "Why/Y" (mostly a wide spot in the road) and continued south to the park.

The entire drive was scenic, about 90% 2 lane asphalt, with lots of medium grades as we wound through the high Sonoran Desert. There is next to nothing out in this part of southern Arizona but the given all of the rain and the resulting bloom), we have had this spring the ride was gorgeous with very little traffic. Here is a shot of the namesake "Organ Pipe Cactus":

The Visitor Center has some interesting displays and a small gift shop. Being a National Park the $12 a night camping fee was cut to just $6 a night courtesy of our "Geezer Cards". There are water spigots throughout the CG, with spring loaded handles and tapered without threads but they do have a nice two lane dump station that includes potable water. The campground which lies 1.5 mile further in has 208 sites, including us, three were occupied.

There are about half a dozen sites that have massive steel Ramada's one of which we were happy to select. All of the sites have mostly level concrete pads and the restrooms have flush toilets and solar heated showers that are not so hot on cool cloudy days.

The first day (Wednesday), the high of 87 had me running the generator for a couple of hours to cool the coach down to a very comfortable 74 degrees. The massive storm rolled in out of California on Thursday/Friday cooling things down nicely with highs in the low 70's.

Friday morning we elected to run all the way north on 85, through Gila Bend and on up to I-10 where we turned east transiting Phoenix from west to east arriving at lost Dutchman SP just outside of Apache Junction just ahead of the storms arrival. I guessed correctly that this would be the optimum location to enjoy the storm (as they are extremely rare in the middle of May). It poured through the late afternoon and early evening and really started coming down (like what a cow does on a flat rock), around 10. Saturday morning was gorgeous:

The whole trip was just about 475 miles, we averaged our usual 9.5 mpg and had a blast.

:B
12 REPLIES 12

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
Organ Pipe Cactus was one of my wife's favorites. She wants to go back.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I saw this posting. And so good to hear all the positive.

We were there - I am guessing - about 11-12 years ago and not gone back.

But we will be in Indio mid Dec to about Feb 1st and were going to stop in Yuma for a few days coming home.

Going to alter that and include Organ Pipe - it is a gorgeous place.

We want FHU's so will stay in Ajo I guess.

Thanks for the info.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Is South Puerto Blanco Drive (along the Border) open now? Has been closed in the past.

This is an interesting article as all roads are now open and the park is deemed 'safe'.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/after-12-years-organ-pipe-national-monument-reopens

Closing came about when a park ranger was killed. We personally knew him, Kris Eggle, as he was a ranger at Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore, Michigan when we volunteered there. He was an awesome person and a tragic death.

The visitor center at Organ Pipe is named in his honor.

:C

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Is South Puerto Blanco Drive (along the Border) open now? Has been closed in the past.

This is an interesting article as all roads are now open and the park is deemed 'safe'.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/after-12-years-organ-pipe-national-monument-reopens

Closing came about when a park ranger was killed. We personally knew him, Kris Eggle, as he was a ranger at Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore, Michigan when we volunteered there. He was an awesome person and a tragic death.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer

We have been down there hiking years ago but not for a few years; neat mine to hike to back in there.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Gottahaveit
We spent a few days there in Jan. 2014. The park was pretty much empty and very nice. Had a great time taking the 21 mile loop trip as well. Nothing much to do but it is beautiful.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you hit it perfect with Spring rains and only 3 other campers, I'd have stayed longer under those conditions, but i'm retired and have lots of time, thanks for sharing.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

In November
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love OPCNM and the town of Ajo is nice, too.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report. We need to make that trip one of these days.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Spent part of December 2014 there and had a great time. The solar hot water was quite cold but we understand a week before we got there it was scalding.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Organ Pipe Cactus NM was one of my favorite parks this last year. There is a 21 mile loop (gravel) to take that is absolutely breathtaking. ๐Ÿ™‚ We're planning on a couple of weeks there next year....if you haven't caused it to be overcrowded by announcing what a cool park it is!!!!!! :B
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend