cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Orlando Bound

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to Orlando this summer. Our primary purpose of the trip is to take a disney cruise, however I want to take my family down the week before so that my daughter can experience Disney. I am also thinking it might be cool to see Universal Studios while we are down there as well. We will be taking our camper to stay in on the trip there and back. Here is my questions that I am coming up with since we have never done this kind of trip before.

1) If you are going to visit Disney and Universal, where is the best place to stay? I have been looking at Fort Wilderness and it looks nice, but am I spending too much money just for the sake of staying at Disney?

2) I have read in the forum on some recommendations for the best sites at Fort Wilderness, but do you recommend anything or anypace better that a family would enjoy?

3) I have googled the benefits of staying on property vs. staying off property, but most of those opinions are over a year old. Do you have any advice you would be willing to share?

Thank you in adavnce to sharing your opinion in helping create an ultimate family memory!
9 REPLIES 9

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Louisa is the closest State park about 15 miles out, $25~ and in the woods. Tropical Palms is `$40-60 and maybe 6 miles out. The Kissimmee KOA is $60-80, 8 miles out and a very nice, small (spotless)clean, urban park. My kids like the Fort and the KOA.

Disney parking fee broke $20 and its, gulp $40 for preferred; that better be a covered garage. If staying at the Fort you can use the bus system, boat to Magic Kingdom or just drive to the parks (all free). If you have never been to Fort Wilderness, it is something to experience. Yes the prices are getting crazy and that keeps us from staying there more than once a year. For us it is a destination by itself. We bring bikes and ride all over the 700 acre place. We we started camping there, my kids were more happy to return to the Fort than they did going to the parks. We like the full hook ups sites 1600, 1700 and 1800. Haven't been to a Disney park in 5 years.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
How old are the kids? We stay at the fort every time we go. There is so much Disney to do even at the campground. You can stay a week and you wont be able to do everything.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
RoaminRichards wrote:
Update on Disney parking: Now $21 per day per park. Best way to see Disney is to park at Disney Springs then catch a Disney bus to whatever park you are going to. Buses run between the different parks all day and they are free. Disney Springs parking also free. This will save you some bucks over time.

Good plan, except - the buses do not run from Disney Springs to any park. They will take you to a resort hotel, or the ticket and transportation center. From there you will have to hop a bus to the park of your choice. Plan for about an hour travel time if this is what you plan to do. The transportation system is set up to prevent people from easily taking advantage of free parking.

The benefits of staying on-site at Disney go further than just avoiding parking fees, you also get early entrance to a select park each morning, and get to stay after the park closes to the general public (Extra Magic Hours). When our son was young, we would always be at the park with the early opening and hit it hard until around 10 or 11. At that time most of the children around us were getting cranky and the parents exasperated. We would head back to the camper and enjoy a good lunch, maybe a swim and then a nap. We would head back to the park right at dinner time (having eaten just before) and spend the rest of the time at the park until they closed. Wash, rinse, repeat the next day(s).

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider staying at Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont. It is about 20 minutes from Disney and they do have some full hook up sites. When were were there last June, it was pretty empty. And at $25 per night, it is a great bargain.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
Update on Disney parking: Now $21 per day per park. Best way to see Disney is to park at Disney Springs then catch a Disney bus to whatever park you are going to. Buses run between the different parks all day and they are free. Disney Springs parking also free. This will save you some bucks over time.

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the advice. I had not heard of the Tropical Palms. I will check them out. I guess I am just nervous about her missing the Disney experience if we do not stay on the property, but I like the idea of saving money of a site so we could do more!

if I were that close to the Fort, I'd be staying at the Fort.. Just sayin
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Summer is peak season at Disney, but it is the value season at Tropical Palms. You will save close to 3X staying at Tropical Palms. However, you will have to pay for parking at each Disney Park. I've never paid for parking at Disney, but the last time I checked it was $15/day.

How old is your daughter? If she is pre-teen and not a huge fan of Harry Potter and/or Roller Coasters, Disney is probably enough. Universal is a great park for the rides, but the fit and finish it completely different from Disney; very elementary compared to Disney.

A week of Disney World and then a Disney Cruise, might just be Disney overload. Considering the crowds you'll be dealing with at Disney World and Universal, you might want to consider getting a 2 or 3 day pass at Universal and skip Disney World or at least the theme parks. If you or your daughter are into Harry Potter, you'll probably need at least a day just to do the Wizarding World at Universal.

If you want to see some of Disney, you can go to Disney Springs (used to be called Downtown Disney) and then get on any bus to see any part of Disney. We like Hotel hoping. If you don't stay at the Fort, definitely check it out. It's also worth talking the exercise trail to the Wilderness Lodge, it's only about 1 mile.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tropical Palms is on 192 SE of Disney... at half the price and close enough to both attractions plus you should be able to work a deal to store your rig plugged in while on your cruise at a reasonable price.. summer is a low season. I might do two days at Disney and then move to TPalms. Since you are going to Disney World I would not pay the 3X cost of a Disney Cruise over Carnival or NCL.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...