cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our View at Anchor Down

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
View from our site. One of the best we've ever had.

DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW
29 REPLIES 29

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the area and watched it be built. For those of you who do not like "parking lot camping" then you are still in luck. Not far from Anchor Down are 2 TVA campgrounds with W/E hook-up and dump station. Look up Douglas Dam Headwaters campground and Tailwaters campground. They are pretty nice in my opinion for the price.

The pic overlooks Douglas lake, which is an impoundment of the French Broad river, yes, the very same French Broad river that flows past the Biltmore Estate in NC. The pic is oriented to the south east so you would be in luck for a beautiful sunrise.

While it may not be some peoples cup of tea Anchor Down is very nice and they keep improving it all the time. Its only about 3 years old and they have added a dog park, basketball and tennis courts. Its always nearly full through out the summer.

A half mile east there is a new campground being built right now. Not the same owners as Anchor Down. It sits on top of a hill and should provide spectacular views also. I have no idea as to how high end or what ammenities there may be. I can see that pedestals are in and final grading and grass planting is in progress now. Not sure as to when it will open as yet either.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Looks like an RV dealers lot next to a lake.

Except they are all being used and everyone is enjoying themselves. Unlike being stuck in a forest with no one around you and no views but of trees!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like an RV dealers lot next to a lake.

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Love your screen name 1Adam12 ๐Ÿ™‚ I like everything from Walmart to Ft Wilderness...variety. Florida flatlanders like my self love views of mountains, large hills and no trees to block the views.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am glad you like it.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Been twice and will be back next year. The place is relatively new and they continue to add amenities. I would hate to see the landscaping bill alone. The place is very busy so they are not hurting for business.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree we stay at various types of campgrounds. Pireateland, Cedar Point, Disney, then we stay at state parks and NPโ€™s. Along with KOAโ€™s and Jellystones and priveate family owned campgrounds. Each one has its own pluses. Personally I like all the people as I like to people watch!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Anchor Down every Memorial Day weekend. We love it there and have booked the next two Memorial Day weekends already to make sure we got the sites we wanted. We do a buddy site with family. They have plenty to do there and the lake is awesome. You can rent pontoon boats on site and you can even see the fireworks form Dollywood every evening if you look in the right direction.

We also (like the OP) stay at Ocean Lakes (SC) every year and there too already have next years week booked to make sure we get the site we want. There is not a lot of shade there either but the proximity to the beach is amazing. The eeyore's on here would hate Ocean Lakes because it is full of people, a huge water park and tons of people having fun on golf carts etc.

We have also went to nice wooded secluded campgrounds too. We take and enjoy each campground for what it is and what it has to offer.

All are different and all (if you maintain a positive attitude) do have something to offer!

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love the place. Have been once this year, and have reservations for August, again in Sept. and then another in Nov. The owner is great to talk to, the place is kept immaculant, always looking for ways to improve it. They just added a huge water slide into the lake along with the other toys they had.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

Gottahaveit
Looks beautiful to me...It's all in the eye of the beholder.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are going their with a large group of friends in August, cannot wait to go! Never been to Tennessee, but think it might be where our future home awaits! From what I recall, you will be seeing the sun rise over the lake... give the Eeyore's on the site something to complain about!

Yes, this is an RV Resort, more than a state park. It is located in the gorgeous Smokey Mountains, on a beautiful lake, close to several cities that look to be full of fun and food. Its not for everybody, but the sites look really fun for families with kids (so... my group) and people that want to hang out, drink some beer, have communal meals, visit the local sites and have a great time.

I'm jealous, but I'll be there in about 5 weeks!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Anchor Down is in Dandridge, TN. It's an easy drive to the Smoky Mountains and all the things to see there.

For any sports fans we ended up attending a Tennessee Smoky's baseball game (AA Affiliate Cubs) and it was great. The ballpark is really nice, inexpensive and 10 minutes from the campground.

The site we were on is 29. It's elevated and has a great view which is partially shown with the picture.

We've camped at every kind of campground know to man from the Ocala National Forest to Ft. Wilderness in Orlando. They each have their good points and some not so much. We enjoy another "parking lot"in South Carolina at Ocean Lakes. We've enjoyed many wooded sites in North Georgia, Bryson City, NC and all Florida State Parks.

Book early as the summer gets full quick,
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the Anchor Dawn in Tennessee? That looks great!
2000 Minnie 31C V10

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there once and like the other negative nancy, I agree, too much hardscape and not enough green. No desire to go back.