cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Passing gas?

mt-ed1
Explorer
Explorer

I would appreciate some thoughts regarding, "should a truck camper turn off their propane, at the tank, when moving, traveling?" I can understand the advantage having it turned off at the tank in the event there was an incident that would result in a ruptured gas line. I recently had a NON RVer tell me he has seen numerous RVs on fire because the propane was left on and do to some "activity" in the fridge, a fire started in the fridge and consumed the camper?

I look forward to any and all help offered.

5 REPLIES 5

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

I always travel with propane on and the refrigerator running.
Does it have a built in propane tank or is it a remove to fill tank? If remove to fill if it has a triangle or 3 lobe handle it's a new style tank and has a large leak the valve will shut it off.
A fridge fire happens when the system overheats and ignites the wood behind the refrigerator. I would say you are less likely to have  a fridge fire while driving down the road because there is more airflow to cool things down.
In summary, it's a non issue wives tale.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II

Mine are always open when traveling, I also run my refrigerator on propane while traveling as it is the most efficient and coldest.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

first all with the new style valves on propain tanks if there is a large release the tank valves shut off, so there is no advantage to having it shut off while you travel anymore, maybe with the tanks of old but they have been outlawed for over , dan how long has it been, 20 years I dare say as I have tanks that are 5 years over their 10 year life that have the new style.. somthing like that anyways.  

there probably has been a fridge fire or two, could be stationary or moving for all we know.. that would be from pour maintenance or a defect rather than anything else in my opinion. 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad

I have a travel trailer and always travel with the gas on.  

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II

Pure and simple: BS