cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picacho Peak Az

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Any information on Picacho Peak RV Resort in Arizona would be appreciated.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!
16 REPLIES 16

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interesting article for those poo-pooing the dust storms. We've been in them as a first-hand experience - not good.

Arizona's Deadliest Corridor
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
. . .I am with rocmoc. . .

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remote? Gates of the Arctic National Park is Remote. Death Valley is Remote.

Picacho Peak? Near freeways, stores, Truck stops, grocery stores.

If this is your definition of remote so be it. But I dont think it really fits.

Dust Storms? Oh Good Grief!

Possibly the OP should consider Seattle, definitely not remote and no dust storms.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always stay at the state park too.
If you are into hiking, the hike up the peak is one of my all time favorite hikes. We have done it 5 time. Not an easy hike, but fun!!

Heres my pictures of it
Hiking Picacho Peak
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
The RV park itself is o.k. but the area is really not attractive. There are so many nice things to do in the greater Phoenix area (60 miles away just to reach the southern edge) and also the Tucson area, that spending a long period of time in Picacho would involve a lot of driving and very long days. It's not a place to see Bisbee or Tombstone from or Patagonia/Nogales - just too far. That's what I meant by being 'remote'.

Here's an interesting article on dust storms in the Picacho Peak area. When the Phoenix area gets the storms, many originate from Picacho Peak. It's a cotton farming area and the land is scraped so there's nothing to hold down the dust.

Arizona's Deadly Corridor

I guess some folks would like this environment.

Some people value remoteness much more than being by a city or a tourist location, we do!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
OP is asking about Picacho Peak RV Resort not the state park. Picacho Peak RV Resort has some good reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com . Dick

IMHO, I find it more helpful when suggestions are made for an alternative than just saying a location is CR@P! Anyone can cop-out to an review but stand-up and offer a solution.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The RV park itself is o.k. but the area is really not attractive. There are so many nice things to do in the greater Phoenix area (60 miles away just to reach the southern edge) and also the Tucson area, that spending a long period of time in Picacho would involve a lot of driving and very long days. It's not a place to see Bisbee or Tombstone from or Patagonia/Nogales - just too far. That's what I meant by being 'remote'.

Here's an interesting article on dust storms in the Picacho Peak area. When the Phoenix area gets the storms, many originate from Picacho Peak. It's a cotton farming area and the land is scraped so there's nothing to hold down the dust.

Arizona's Deadly Corridor

I guess some folks would like this environment.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Picacho Peak RV Resort last spring but it was for a few days in May and was quiet as most snow birds had left. The rate wasn't much more than the state park next door, but we wanted to use the pool of the resort.

Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
OP is asking about Picacho Peak RV Resort not the state park. Picacho Peak RV Resort has some good reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com . Dick

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
First of all Picacho Peak is NOT a destination place but a place to visit and take in some of the ambiance and history in this area of the SW. Like visiting Tombstone, Bisby, Benson, Katchner Caverns, Nogales...and the list goes on.

If traveling 5 miles to stock up on food, fuel etc. is to far for some so be it. :h
Food Town IGA is a full-service grocery store with an on-site butcher shop, bakery and deli in Eloy. Link to store.

If one wants the big box stores, more choices for dining, a Regional Medical Center then Casa Grande is only 18 miles N on I-10. Oh, and there is plenty of things to do in Casa Grande and the area surrounding. You don't have to stay cooped up in your rig or the clubhouse where you stay.

Someone mentioned dust storms...good gracious. Dust storms are all over the SW and South...it's desert!!! :S
One year driving through the Phoenix area we encountered a dust storm...we still go to Phoenix.

To the OP: With all that said enjoy your travels and Picacho Peak could be one you'll enjoy.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
dtappy3353 wrote:
OMHO, this park is "not" remote. It sits right on I-10; on a slope; you can see the freeway but the scenic view is spectacular.

Agree that little amenities are available however the location of the sites are spaced enough as to not be on top of one another similar to the parking lot effect of the resorts in Casa Grande.

There a tons of parks around the area that would serve ones interest.

Casa Grande has good shopping.

It is remote as in not near civilization. Yes it is near I10 but there is nothing near it you have to get on I10 to go to any good store for groceries
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The RV park is far from doing any activities - even buying groceries. Also, Casa Grande doesn't have much to do except in a RV park clubhouse. The area also gets horrific dust storms. We've driven through a few during the winter months...actually had to pull off the road because couldn't see but a couple feet in front of us.

If you're not staying long-term, the state park is much nicer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Although we did not stay there the Picacho Peak SP looks fine for a stay and the scenery is stunning.

We visited the area last March to take in The Battle of Picacho Peak reenactment...an annual event.

Our Trip Journal entry.

We stay in Casa Grande which is not far at all (18 miles) and there are smaller towns closer like Eloy (less than 5 miles) that have services including RV Parks with all the amenities including full hookups if that is what you want.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Too close to I10. Major road noise! The Arizona State Park on the North side of the peak is better IMHO.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico