cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pigeon forge/ Gatlinburg

Not applicable
Week of oct 8. Never been there. Is it best to rent a car or take their trolley to go around that area? Or uber? I know everything is close and it may be crowded, so looking for ease of getting around for 2 adults. Our park, camp river landing has a trolley stop. Advice appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Not applicable
Wow!! Sounds like my town. Branson. Guess the best thing is to sit in the smokey mountain brew pub or a moonshine tavern. Thanks. I got it figured out.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I live outside of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and a car is a definite need to get into the park and explore the entire area!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
We like Creekside RV Campground in Pigeon Forge. It is our Wares Valley Road. We will be there this weekend. To see everything you do need a car.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Pigeon Forge - cheesy road side attractions, chain motels, and every chain restaurant you can think of. It makes the Wisconsin Dells look classy.

X10!
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

JOHN_LAURA
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed, if I remember at the River Edge campground in Pigeon Forge. We took the trolley one time and hated it. No matter how many people is on it, they stop at every stop. Took forever to get back to campground, and the kids were done. I would walk Gatlinburg, much easier and you will see more things other than tail lights.
2018 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
2017 TOYOTA CAMRY
2019 GRAND DESIGN REFLECTION 311BHS
THE WIFE AND I
SON 21 DAUGHTER 15
WONDER DOG LUCY

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Trolly without a doubt.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Pigeon Forge - cheesy road side attractions, chain motels, and every chain restaurant you can think of. It makes the Wisconsin Dells look classy.

Gatlinburg - As said you can easily walk the length of Gatlinburg. It's interesting mix of cheesy attractions, unique shops, locally owned restaurants, and moon shine tasting. Also far more attractive looking than the 6 lane boulevard through PF. Lots of little allys and walkways with shops behind the main drag. There is a decent brewpub (Smoky Mountain Brewery) on the west end of town.

If you take a car to Gatlinburg there is a by-the-hour city owned parking structure on the east end of town. Far cheaper to park there then in one of the commercial lots on the middle of the strip. Not to mention the traffic through there can get really heavy.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, we wouldn't want to do the area without a car. Gatlinburg is a walking town, but Pigeon Forge is quite spread out, and getting into the scenic areas of the mountains definitely takes a car. I'd suggest you'd be missing a lot by trying to limit your transportation.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gatlinburg is a walking town... It has a slow hill to go down walking but of course you to go up hill to get back haha... Have to park in a parking lot for a fee haha... There is only one main drag and everyone walks up and down both sides of the street...

Pigeon Forge is much larger and everything has a parking spot close by...

We always camp out inside the SMOKY Natl Park at ELKMONT camp and most of the time just go down to the small town of TOWNSEND for groceries and things...

Both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is way too busy for us haha... COLEMAN STORE does have a corner in the local MALL at Pigeon Forge that we like to go to...

Have never used the trolley service...

People sure likes to walk up and down the streets at Gatlinburg. We have gone through there at 2-3AM in the morning and they are still doing it haha...

We found BENNETs BBQ place in Gatlinburg had the best self serve breakfast bar. Its on the Natl Park side so not all the crowded...

All of our roads go through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge - perfect spot for us to spend a couple of nights in our few long distance travel outings...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
You can walk around Gatlinburg and see just about everything. However, if you want to check out Smokey mountains park, get a car for a day and drive it. Quite beautiful!
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos