cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Places to rv camp in Colorado

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to rving and are wanting to plan a trip to Colorado next June and would appreciate any suggestions of good campgrounds. We enjoy hikes, fishing, kayaking, and beautiful scenery. We also have a pup (border collie) we'll be bringing along so pet friendly is important too. Would really like a more private campground rather than rvs on top of one another but not sure if this is possible? Our specific loaction of interest is flexible....a lake and 14 footers would be ideal. :)We will be pulling a Trail Manor 2720SL pull behind camper. Thanks for any and all input.
36 REPLIES 36

jkmac408
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite part of Colorado Is the San Juans of southwest Colorado. Lots of fourteeners and Lakes and streams. Our favorite base area is Lake City and campground is Castle Lakes about 10 miles out of town on the Alpine Backcountry Scenic Byway. They have two lakes one for any tackle and one for flyfishing catch and release. You can't beat the scenery and there are tons of ghost towns and old mines everywhere. Also there are several hiking trails and great fishing.
Kenneth

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Great info here that I have looked into. Thanks! We are coming from SW MO and looking at a 1 week-ish trip

Thom02099 wrote:
If you do a Google search on "dog friendly camping in Colorado", you'll get a lot of valuable information on what to expect at various locations around the state. As a proud Weimie owner, we've used these resources when making plans.

Additionally, H E R E is a link to information on where pets are allowed in the multiple National Parks and Monuments in Colorado. Notably absent from this list is Mesa Verde National Park. It's restrictions are similar to RMNP, adding in archeological sites as prohibited.

If you could provide more information on a particular area of the state you're interested in as well as how much time you've got, would be helpful in our providing more substantial answers. Some great suggestions so far!

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the links. Good info that I have searched. I also looked at Boondocking but not brave enough to try that yet. Although I am positive that is the experience I would like but with all the amenities.

Off Pavement wrote:
Rocky Mountain National Park doesn't have hookups but sure is a nice place to stay a few days if you can.

This article may help you learn a bit about where you can camp with your RV...

***Link Removed***

Colorado allows camping all over. This web site has links to just about all its public camping possibilities, as well as research ideas for RV parks...

***Link Removed***

Many of us that have been RVing for a while have learned that "boondocking" is perhaps the best way to find great RV camping sites.

This page will likely help you too. ***Link Removed***

Practice boondocking in your driveway to get the hang of it. It's the only way to get away from crowds!

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, definitely lots to do and seems like the park had good reviews. Thank you.

Pop-Pop C wrote:
KOA just south of Carbondale. Great park. Pricey. Lots to do,around.
We were there in July. 40' MH. And toad. Fultimers.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
a lake and 14 footers

I am presuming you're referring to what we call the 14ers out here...the mountains over 14,000 feet. Well, there are 58 of them at last count, which changes sometimes when new ones come on board.

One of the best places to have lakes/rivers and 14ers would be the Arkansas River Valley. LOTS to see and do in that general area, in which I would also include the Taylor Park area west of Cottonwood Pass.

Lakes/Rivers and the northernmost 14er (Longs Peak) in the area in and around Rocky Mountain National park, to include the Big Thompson Canyon, the Poudre Canyon, Red Feather Lakes, the Grand County area of Granby/Grand Lake/Fraser/Winter Park and the North Park area around Walden.

These are just 2 of many considerations.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Thunder Mountain.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like water come to Buena Vista!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
>>>"We enjoy hikes, fishing, kayaking, and beautiful scenery."<<<

Then Colorado is right for you! Just about anywhere you go throughout the Rockies you'll find all of your wishes.

I've camped in several areas in a tent over the years, but 4 years ago was our first RV trip. Camped at Ridgway State Park north of Ouray. Electric on all sites, but some loops have FHU.

Our next campground was Island Lake in the Grand Mesa National Forest. It's located in the NW portion of the state. Plenty of fishing available on some beautiful lakes. See my review on the clicky from 2011 for this campground.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/colorado/cedaredge
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 is right, CO is a large place....we lived in Estes Park for 8 years and love Rocky Mtn N P. However, we now go back and concentrate on SW portion of the state and love it. Not sure where you are coming from or how much time you have. Or how familiar you are with mountain driving, etc.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do a Google search on "dog friendly camping in Colorado", you'll get a lot of valuable information on what to expect at various locations around the state. As a proud Weimie owner, we've used these resources when making plans.

Additionally, H E R E is a link to information on where pets are allowed in the multiple National Parks and Monuments in Colorado. Notably absent from this list is Mesa Verde National Park. It's restrictions are similar to RMNP, adding in archeological sites as prohibited.

If you could provide more information on a particular area of the state you're interested in as well as how much time you've got, would be helpful in our providing more substantial answers. Some great suggestions so far!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocky Mountain National Park doesn't have hookups but sure is a nice place to stay a few days if you can.

This article may help you learn a bit about where you can camp with your RV...

Where You Can Go Camping

Colorado allows camping all over. This web site has links to just about all its public camping possibilities, as well as research ideas for RV parks...

Colorado RV Camping

Many of us that have been RVing for a while have learned that "boondocking" is perhaps the best way to find great RV camping sites.

This page will likely help you too. Boondocking - Dispersed Camping

Practice boondocking in your driveway to get the hang of it. It's the only way to get away from crowds!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Mueller SP near Colorado Springs
Ridgway SP
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
KOA just south of Carbondale. Great park. Pricey. Lots to do,around.
We were there in July. 40' MH. And toad. Fultimers.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to

RV Park Reviews Colorado

It lists

Highly rated campgrounds
Popular Campgrounds
Popular Destinations in Colorado

You can also search for campgrounds meeting your criteria (full hookups etc) and compare ratings.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rifle Gap State park does have nice sites with full hookups in the Lakeview Loop. Ridgeway State Park also has some full hookups and both are on the western slope with lots of attractions nearby. X2 on booking as soon as you can.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags