cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quebec driving permit in Georgia

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I was told that Georgia has enforce the request of having an english driving permit this was also started in Florida last year but they did not enforce it because of the money brought in the state by snowbirds,
Is this a reality?
I have renewed my international driving permit.
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd
19 REPLIES 19

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Packer wrote:
We have relatives in Atlanta and none of the family from Quebec who visit there have ever had an issue.

...that's because perhaps none of them have ever been stopped by LEOs in Georgia ?

:B
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Gaetan wrote:
I did gel an IDL, I was just wandering why would Gorgia act like this the only state in the USA
Gaetan

Can't answer that, other than 9-11 changed the way people think. On our side of the border (IMHO) we do not travel enough outside of our borders. This can lead to a very limited view of the world and the people in it. Maybe the powers in Georgia are in that group.

I'm happy to hear you got an IDL, it's a simple thing to do, and something I do prior to renting a car overseas just to avoid any issues.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I drive everywhere in the US with my Quebec permit. We have relatives in Atlanta and none of the family from Quebec who visit there have ever had an issue.

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I did gel an IDL, I was just wandering why would Gorgia act like this the only state in the USA
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Spend the $20 and get an IDL. ...........
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Just tell them you could not understand the rule because it was written in English.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, not legal. It seems pretty specific about that... It needs to be in English.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

SARGUY
Explorer
Explorer
How is a LEO in Georgia supposed to deal with a person that he stops for speeding for example when he is handed a Drivers License printed in a language that he does not understand and can t read. So I guess illegal aliens can just use their Mexican or Guatemalan Drivers Licences also. What about all the OTR truckers from Quebec that travel through Georgia, are they also driving on a license nor recognized in that state.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Or avoid Georgia, and write to them (and the many Chamber of Commerces involved) about the tax dollars that they are losing by this requirement that is outside the norm.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Drivers From Other Nations

Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid (not expired). Generally, you may drive in Georgia for up to one year on a valid foreign license. Please note that if the driver's license issued to you in your home country is not printed in English, then you will also need a valid International Driving Permit (IDP).

Information for Non-US Citizens

Non-US citizens holding a valid foreign driverโ€™s license are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia for tourism or business purposes. If the foreign license is not printed in English, the driver must also have an International Driving Permit (IDP) or similar translation issued in accordance with the provision of the Convention on Road Traffic, any similar treaty, international agreement, or reciprocal agreement between the United States and a foreign nation. Non-US citizens must obtain an IDP from their home country prior to coming to the U.S.

Non printed in English....need IDP

Don't see anything about 'fines' but I'm sure they will fine you accordingly if not in compliance. Probably have to do a court appearance. Could have trip delayed. Could have vehicle impounded.
They could..........well best not have to find out :B

Get your IDP BEFORE trip then come and enjoy!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottnSherrie
Explorer
Explorer
On the CAA Quebec web site it says the Quebec DL is good everywhere in North America...except Georgia. It is on the page about getting an International Driver's Permit.

So, maybe there is something to this technicality.

I would worry about this if you haul illegal contraband, are caught driving drunk, speeding excessively or get stopped in some podunk speed trap town. In other words, they might tack that on if you did something really bad or are unlucky enough to get stopped in a town that gets most of their revenue from traffic fines.
88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
This says that a "foreign" driver's license is allowable. but that all documents must be in English.

Georgia Department of Drivers Services
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Georgia most of my life and a retired law enforcement officer from Georgia, I can tell you I never heard of such a thing. I have a steak dinner bet that this is just rumor without merit!

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Why not telephone or email the Georgia Highway Patrol. They will be able to give you and answer or the number or email address of the department to contact for clarification.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.