cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Queen Wilhelmina State Park

jparker66
Explorer
Explorer
We are camping at Queen Wilhelmina State Park in November. I welcome any site suggestions or information. We will be driving from Wylie to the park.
Thanks,
James
James & Sharon
2016 Flagstaff Superlite
2011 3/4 Chevy Diesel LTZ Loaded
CAMPING IS GREAT! ENJOY THE OUTDOORS!
3 REPLIES 3

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a night there in 2013 on our way west. It was so foggy coming in that we could hardly find our campsite. Neighboring campers helped us back in, The next morning we woke up to a gorgeous view. Our site was fine; level and spacious. The restrooms were clean and we had a great experience. lizzie

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't stay but visited the Lodge and scouted the campsites last Sept.2015. Looks really nice and I saw many fifth wheels with very nice spots that had great rear views.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
There are three ways up the mountain.

Hwy 272 from US-270/59 is the shortest, steepest and has three or four blind turns with no shoulders or way to avoid traffic coming down the mountain.

Arkansas Hwy 88 from Mena is a bit of a climb, but not as steep as 272. A longer run. Not any shoulders but trees are not right at the edge of the pavement as much as Hwy 272. Definitely a better route to the top in my opinion.

You can OK-1 in from the west in to AR-88 at the state line to the park. This is the route we prefer. We go up to meet US-259 at Broken Bow. Go north on US-259 to the junction with OK-1 and follow that to/ from the park.

I will go down AR-88 if I have to - I will not go down AR-272.

I have not tried to tow the entire length of the Scenic Drive from US-271 north of Talihina, OK. But in general - the OK section of the route has wider lanes than the AR site. Also the 'shoulders' of the road are cleared in OK for 6-12 feet in most places while in Arkansas the shoulders have trees right up close to the pavement.

As far as the actual campground - when we were last camping there in mid-October 2011 - the spaces were tight and several at near 90 degrees from the single access road with a tight turn at the end.

I have not visited the campground part of the park since the rebuilding. I do not know if the campground was rebuilt, or only the lodge. Satellite images are from during a winter during the construction process - and show no changes to the campground.

Almost no over the air TV reception - and very little space for a satellite signal. Cell coverage is spotty.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT