Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV'ing in/near Yosemite in 40 Motorhome

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there everyone,

DW and I have a 40 foot Allegro bus with slides on the Drivers side. We'd like suggestions on what camp grounds we should look at if we want to visit the Yosemite Valley as part of our camping in the area. We would be coming from the Sacramento Area.

Happy Camping!

Eric and Carol Anderson
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Blog
6 REPLIES 6

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in our signature coach at the Yosemite Pines near Groveland, CA a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. It's about a 45-75 minute drive to the valley from almost anywhere outside the park. Groveland also has close access to both Tuolumne Meadows via the Tioga Pass Road and Hetch-Hetchy. The drive along the Tioga Pass Road is very remarkable as you are driving along the top of the Sierras.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You might also check out the KOA in Mariposa.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
+2 to Yosemite Lakes! Trout fishing (and catching) on lures (catch and release) right there on tthhe river, and yes, 5 miles from the West Gate of Yosemite. 50A service and as Executive said, you don't need to be a member to stay there.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We usually stay at Yosemite Lakes. It's a Thousand Trails campground, but they accept the general public. The TT campground is on the south side and the public one is north of the hwy. About 5 miles from the entrance to Yosemite...Dennis

Yosemite Lakes
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
First there is only one Yosemite Valley CG that can take longer RVs and that is North Pines. The roads in the CG are narrow and twisty with trees and boulders right along the road. I doubt you'll get a 40 foot Class A in there. Check the Reserve USA website for that CG, they have length limits for each site. There are some CG in the park outside of the Valley you should check those. I've never camped in any of those.

The big problem is that if you plan to get there before August you are out of luck barring a cancellation. They hold a lottery online six months ahead of time for sites and those go within minutes. You might have to camp outside the park which means a long drive. And I wouldn't dawdle on making reservations if you plan to go this summer. It is a very popular park.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to follow this post as we are in a similar situation. I would prefer to stay in the Valley but it is limited even for our Allegro 36ft. With that being said we will probably stay in El Portal and use the buses from there to access the Valley.

Indian Flat Campground: http://www.indianflatrvpark.com/accomodations.htm