cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Resorts

jeffengle
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about heading south next winter, do you have a favorite RV Resort that you go to & cost. Could be in Fl., Texas, Arizona.
20 REPLIES 20

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
jeffengle wrote:
We are thinking about heading south next winter, do you have a favorite RV Resort that you go to & cost. Could be in Fl., Texas, Arizona.

Actually, you asked the wrong question. Because there are thousands of places that would suffice. What you needed to ask was "we like to do x,y,z and are looking at FL, TX, or AZ {pick one} can you recommend a place for us to try."

1st task to to identify the state you want to try because they each are different. Then you need to identify the things you want to do, explore while you are there this winter. If you just go by the recommendations you get here, you will be spending someone else's winter, not yours. You have to do some of the work. And nothing wrong with it taking 3 winters to figure out which state works for you - then starting to look at different areas within the preferred state. That's what we did.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you should ask what RV parks to avoid and why.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Florida Keys... Encore Sunshine Key Resort. Amazing
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
While I mentioned a resort in NE Oklahoma, since I live here I would not winter in my RV (house with fireplace is more comfortable).

When my daughter lived in Biloxi, I traveled there frequently, and found a place enroute where I think I could comfortably winter in a RV at low cost. The area is around Lake Chicot on the Mississippi-Arkansas border, west of Greenville, Mississippi. A lot of the RV parks/resorts are between Lake Village and the bridge. I've not checked out prices, since when my daughter was in Biloxi I would just go stay with here and hang out with the grandkids.

It all depends on how warm you want to be, how much you want to pay. Warmest is in the Florida Keys, which are consistently expensive, a lot of demand for for very little available real estate. It gets cheaper for places less desirable.

However, if cost is really the issue, RV snow birding is probably not the best answer, if you really want to be warm for the winter. Do you know that you can rent an apartment in Cozumel, Belize, or Costa Rica for about $200 a month? (I have friends that do this). Try finding that price for a RV lot in the U.S., anywhere, any time of the year, not to say snowbird country in snowbird season. But you do need airfare and a passport.

While I'm at it, about $250 a month for Changmai in Thailand, $300 a month for Bali. Difference between that and the cost of a RV lot in Florida will buy you a houseful of servants. I've lived in Asia, been there done that.

Southern Spain is also a good fly in destination. Andalucia region. Great and VERY interesting country with amazing history and culture. You can only stay for 90 says though. We still work 6 months a year and enjoy our RV property at Outdoor Resorts Palm Springs but our US snowbird days are over when we hit 60 and fully retire. Then we'll split up our snowbird time overseas. I'm not sure we find it any cheaper but there are seemingly endless interesting places to visit. Headed back for a month again this winter. Always come back feeling tired. Just too much to do. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

jeffengle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody, very helpful

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Too much of an open-ended question. The first thing you should decide is do you want to wear shorts all winter or a jacket. The next question you should ask yourself is how much do you want to spend per month and how long are you staying.

You can probably find a place "south" for $400 a month. You won't be wearing shorts and they probably won't have a pool.

You could go south of Sarasota Florida and be in nice warm temps all winter long, find a cheaper RV site for between $700 and $800.

You could stay further in SW Florida, keep them shorts on, find an upscale RV resort that has everything including a 50' x 120' site, for between $1500 and $2500 a month.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis M M wrote:
All depends on how much of a "resort" you are looking for.

We like Desert Trails in Tucson. Next winter will be our seventh. Lots of activities and friendly people.

Voyager is more of a "resort" and the price reflects it.

I too am considering Desert Trails...I like the idea that it has a "younger" feel to it (at least from the site and things I've heard) I would rather be out on my Mtn Bike than sitting around drinking and playing cards or shuffleboard. But thats just me.

Good to know you like it well enough to go back for so many years that is a good endorsement.

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
Just north of Tampa. This is a nice park. Rates are on link below. Big Rig friendly

Quail Run

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.citrusvalleyrv.com/ Best in Central Fl.

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Cocopah RV and Golf Resort in Yuma AZ is as good as it gets for the money. It is warm, quiet, and has activities second to none. They are currently investing huge amounts of money on the resort. If you don't golf, no problem. More than half of the people don't golf because of all the activities and amendments. Next fall will be our 11th year there. We spend 6 months at Cocopah paradise.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I mentioned a resort in NE Oklahoma, since I live here I would not winter in my RV (house with fireplace is more comfortable).

When my daughter lived in Biloxi, I traveled there frequently, and found a place enroute where I think I could comfortably winter in a RV at low cost. The area is around Lake Chicot on the Mississippi-Arkansas border, west of Greenville, Mississippi. A lot of the RV parks/resorts are between Lake Village and the bridge. I've not checked out prices, since when my daughter was in Biloxi I would just go stay with here and hang out with the grandkids.

It all depends on how warm you want to be, how much you want to pay. Warmest is in the Florida Keys, which are consistently expensive, a lot of demand for for very little available real estate. It gets cheaper for places less desirable.

However, if cost is really the issue, RV snow birding is probably not the best answer, if you really want to be warm for the winter. Do you know that you can rent an apartment in Cozumel, Belize, or Costa Rica for about $200 a month? (I have friends that do this). Try finding that price for a RV lot in the U.S., anywhere, any time of the year, not to say snowbird country in snowbird season. But you do need airfare and a passport.

While I'm at it, about $250 a month for Changmai in Thailand, $300 a month for Bali. Difference between that and the cost of a RV lot in Florida will buy you a houseful of servants. I've lived in Asia, been there done that.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
In south Texas, Victoria Palms, Bentsen Palm Village Resort, Green Gate Grove, Casa de Valle and many more. Friendly folks, great prices, fun in Mexico & much more.
pawatt

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few Florida parks you might want to research. I've stayed in all of them from a few days to a few months. They are good solid RV parks with plenty of amenities. Prices vary and the further south you go the prices rise.

http://www.crosscreekrv.com/

http://www.riversidervresort.com/

http://rockcrusherrvpark.com/

http://oldemillstreamrvresort.com/

http://miamicamp.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
About 10 different state and national parks in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
Jayco-noslide