cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Antonio, Tx on the way home.

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Spending couple weeks in Arizona, then headed back to Alabama. Plan on spending a couple days in San Antonio on the way. Would like to see the Alamo of course. What else would YOU recommend that we see ? Any recommendations on campgrounds on the northeast of eastern side of the city ? We have a 31' 5er and prefer FHU. Thank you for your advice.
20 REPLIES 20

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
We were there this time last year.
I second all the places that people have mentioned.
In addition, when doing the mission trail (which generally follows the river) you may want to rent bikes and just ride from one mission to the next. We did that and it was a very enjoyable day to spend. Lots of history and culture and a beautiful day spent riding the paved trails along the river. There are bike kiosk every couple of miles, or you can just rent for the entire day (probably the best idea).

The Alamo itself is a mission. A lot of tourist seem to dismiss it as being "much smaller than they thought" but if you take time to really explore, there is incredible history there if you spend the time to really read and explore everything. Many tourists, especially those with kids, simply run through the place and are done in a very short time. The remains of Bowie, Crockett, and Travis are (allegedly) located nearby at San Fernando Cathedral. There is a tomb there and it has their names on it, but no certainty that it contains their remains or someone else's.

Some photos of the mission trail (not mine, just grabbed from internet)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
About the Alamo..
If there is a line to get into the actual chapel, blow that off.
But what ever - Do Not Miss the museum.

Again the river walk boat trip.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
We stayed at Traveler's World and liked it. As previously mentioned, don't miss the river walk. There is a famous steak house that serves blocks of cheese and bread as a starter. Great food, but for the life of me I can't remember its name.

X3
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with timandsusan, am also a San Antonio native and they have great suggestions. Another great place to visit is The Guenther House in the King William Disteict. They have a great breakfast and a tour of the home is very interesting. The Guenthers were millers and began Pioneer Flour Mills. The King William Districrt is where the German merchants built their homes and is really worth a visit. The Steves Home is another great home to tour in this area. King William is also close to Traveler's World CG.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Great suggestions from Tim and Susan. I could not agree more! :C

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
I live in SA and still enjoy lots of attractions all year! But--take a day trip to Fredericksburg or stop off while heading into to SA. In Fredericksburg, visit the Museum of the Pacific War--a full day activity. Also eat some German food while there. If your trip is later in the Spring--late March-April--check out the wildflowers around town.
In SA, visit Mission San Jose, Brackenridge Park, if you play golf--lots of great courses (check out Alamo City Golf Trail website), to eat where the locals eat--try El Mirasol, El Buccanero, and yes Mi Tierra in the Market. Riverwalk--take the boat ride--we usually buy an all day ticket to use the water taxi service but no narration to tell you about the sights along the River. So--have a great time!

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at the KOA and stone creek. Both have huge dog parks, KOA is a little closer to the places you might visit in SA.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
All good suggestions for things to do.... when we stopped last year, we stayed at the KOA. Sites were large enough and there is a paved bicycle trail next to the park of you are so inclined to get some exercise riding.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good Mexican restaurants on the Riverwalk - try one. However, they are not going to pay for your meal! ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I was in San Antonio a few years ago with the wife, and we went to the Mexican restaurant Mi Tierra for dinner. Great time! BIG restaurant, crazily decorated rooms, strolling Mariachis, good food. Sure it's "touristy", but fun place with good food. In their bakery section we found chocolate bars that you use to make hot chocolate - my son loves them, they have a hint of mint in them.

At the Alamo, they have scheduled tour times - if you don't want an official tour, you can time your visit to check it out on your own. Not a really big place, but I found it fascinating.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Last year on our way back to Iowa stopped at the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. This to me is a must see. Its a great drive thru wild life park. You can feed the animals go through the park as many times as you like. We spent 1/2 day there.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a short visit we would usually go to El Mercado in the morning, for breakfast first, then shopping. We think the Alamo is best visited late morning to late afternoon, the Riverwalk in the evening (although restaurants and bars get quite crowded then).

If you have transportation, consider visiting some of the other missions on the Mission Trail. Hop-on hop-off will also take you to a couple of them, particularly the park headquarters mission.

Check on what is going on while you are there. There is always something going on in SA. Events Schedule. What's best about San Antonio are the people and the events, more so than the places to see.

There might be something that interests you, there might be something that draws huge crowds you might want to avoid at a place and time. On a winter visit when we were getting homesick for China, we particularly enjoyed the Asian Festival (February 4th this year). The Alamo schedules family events that draw large crowds (usually on Saturdays).

Between the restaurants on the Riverwalk and those in El Mercado, San Antonio can be a great foodie place.

In the RV, we've stayed at Traveler's World. Most of my many visits have been non-RV: hotel stays on business trips and family vacations, and staying with my daughter during the years she lived there.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
There is a famous steak house that serves blocks of cheese and bread as a starter. Great food, but for the life of me I can't remember its name.

Sounds like the Old San Francisco Steak House. It is long gone. It was great the many years it was in operation.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Riverwalk and an evening meal and a couple margaritas streamside. Puts everyone in a happy mood. The girls like it and...
Tia Maria in the marketplace for breakfast.
Do the Spanish mission trail. Interesting history.
Take moment and think about what happened at the Alamo.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive