cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size ristrictions at state/federal parks

Rqtpis2
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of looking to purchase a Class A motor home for retirement in a few years.I know there are size restrictions for state parks/ federal parks. For instance can I buy a 40' motor home and tow my Prius and disconnect Prius before i go to state parks and still be in the guide lines for a 40' site.What kind of size issues will I run into? Or do state parks offer additional parking for your tow vehicles? I have not yet determined what size motor home i will be purchasing.I will be towing a Toyota Prius with me and will be living in Motor home full time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been full timing for 11 years and traveled (over 100,000 miles) to every state in the union. We've stayed in many State and Federal parks in that time. Rarely have we had a problem finding a spot. The biggest hurdle is the roads within the parks. Sure there are some with severe size restrictions but mostly we've found the "problem" lies within the State's inability to competently design their web pages to reflect what's actually on the ground. For instance, we've camphosted at San Clemente State Park. If you go to California State Parks webpage you'll notice they have a 30' MAX LENGTH. Their SMALLEST site is 37' and most of their sites are 60' or more. Same with NorCal parks. They never update their websites. Best to call the park you're interested in and ask...some on here say the cheat and lie about their length then wonder why they damage their rigs trying to maneuver through the campground. Call the campground and ask....Dennis

MOD'S EDIT: Please watch your language.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've found that sometimes the site length restrictions are related more to the access roads than to the actual site dimensions. We've in a few where we just met the length limit and the road in or access to the site was really a tight squeeze for us. The site itself though, was plenty big enough. On the other hand, we've also been to a few parks where the length limit on some sites either just don't make sense or the park has update the sites without updating the limits. That has caused us to fib about our length a few times when reserving sites that we knew were plenty long enough and easily accessible.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. The site length refers to the coach length but there will also be room for a tow car. Not all State parks will fit a 40' so be sure you know the length restrictions before you go. We have run into many which have 35-36' max length.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only way to be sure is to take a car or pickup to the park and check it out THEN decide.. I have been to several state/national parks where I'd not want to take even a small RV the turns are too tight. It was tight for a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV mini-van let alone an RV. I've been to others where the compuer says "25 foot maximum" It really means 125 feet. What can I say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Basin, jdc! My Winnie, per manufacturer specs, is 21’ 11”.

OP, rent a 40 foot A and try it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that sometimes the restrictions are not about the sites but are about the turns to get to the sites. Been to several that had pull-throughs big enough to accommodate but getting to it was almost impossible due to trees and tight turns, especially the 180s where you have lanes that are one-way.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others said, it really is something that must be considered on a case-by-case basis. There's no single magic cutoff value where suddenly site are no longer available, generally speaking, but rather the largeer the rig the fewer sites it will fit in, until possibly at some point it's impossible to fit in any site at a particular campground. Even if there are some sites that would fit you, if they all happen to be occupied or reserved it's no help, even if many other sites you can't use are free.

Here in Vermont, a 40 foot motorhome would be quite restrictive for the state campgrounds, many of which were built by the CCC and have not been vastly changed since then. Even my 32' motorhome can require a little flexability as to when and/or where to go camping. In other states and areas it's less frequently a big concern.

It's also worth noting that sometimes--certainly not always--the maximum lenghts stated online for particular sites are extraordinarily conservative and larger rigs can easily fit (and navigate the roads to get to the site). Other times, they are precise and accurate. It can be helpful to call and speak to a ranger or someone familiar with the actual campground. Reservation clerks often don't have detailed local knowledge, particularly if the reservation system is statewide or national.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rqtpis,

First, know the over all length of your rig as it travels.

You pretty much will have to consider this on a single park basis. Many places have pull-though slips that could accommodate your whole rig as it travels. Most do not.

As I recall, a Prius cannot be towed 4-down, so you need room for it and the dolly.

Those that can accommodate a 40foot coach (In my experience) can also park a towed and dolly. But, you will have to confirm that before you give them money.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Size is normally based on the living units length. The toad does not count.
40 foot is a big rig! Many have numerous slides which can be come issue in many government campgrounds and some commercial.
You may want to look at shorter rig with the slides.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some parks in California have a 22' restriction due to the root system of the ancient trees.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forty feet is pushing it very hard. Here are California’s and the National Park’s limits. Most states have a chart. Many NPs you’d be at the limit but forget most boondocking possibilities at that length...and dirt roads. For me a 40 footer would be toooo limiting.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/National-Park-Trailer-Length-Chart.pdf
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad