cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoky Mountains in Feb

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are wanting to go to the Smokies in Feb, and wanting to not be in a tight parking lot type campground, but it seems most of the ones I find like that are closed for the winter.

Any suggestions? We had thought about the east side of the park around Bryson, but everything seems closed.

We do need at least electricity since we have a resi fridge, but no genset, and only enough battery for about a day or so. That puts the park campgrounds out of the picture.

Thanks
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
12 REPLIES 12

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in GSMNP last April. I learned I'm not too good at fly fishing in snow. But then I'm not too good anyway. So yeah, it will be a bit cool in Feb.
We will be back again this spring, but later, after the Richmond NASCAR race, instead of before.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
Upthecreekrvcamp.com

Double ditto. Since you mentioned wanting some space and less parking lot style, this one would be more to your liking. Itโ€™s on the west side of the GSM. Not many campgrounds available on the eastern side.

Iโ€™m not sure theyโ€™re open in February. Call them and ask.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Maurice45
Explorer
Explorer
We were just at Duvall in the Smokies in Pigeon Forge. Small newer park with great facilities and the owners will bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable. I will not stay anywhere else when we're in the area.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we go which is usually in the SEP/OCT time frame we like to stay inside the Natl Park at ELKMONT CAMP or just inside Pigeon Forge coming from Gatlinburg at RIVEREDGE RV Park... Riveredge has nice camping spots as well as cabins...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We like mill creek resort in pegion Forge it is off the main drag .

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We like Pine Mtn in Pigeon Forge.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Upthecreekrvcamp.com
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Big Meadow Family CG in Townsend TN.
If its too cold at night, they shut off the water until the next morning. You'll need to unhook your water supply hose if that's the case. If you forget or are out of the cg, they'll do it for you. Very nice folks.

https://www.bigmeadowcampground.com/directions-and-maps/facilities-layout/

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If a CG is open make sure their water is on because most shut it off for Dec thru March. In the higher elevations it may be longer. It is still cold in Feb. here and many a night is below freezing. Spring happens in these parts around mid March but can still have fairly cold nights.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itโ€™s going to be really cold and there is a reason most CGs are closed. Good Luck on keeping things from freezing.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy holiday in Cherokee is open. A VERY nice CG. Google it, or call 828-497-9204.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers