Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SoCal attractions and HWY1 help...

seal13il
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy All,

Got our new Super C and have family coming from overseas in April so we decided to do a week long trip, we bought the California passes for everyone(two of us with our 4yo, my mother, sister, brother in law and their two kids, 4 & 1) starting April 1st in Reno, NV, heading up old 395 to the San Diego area, here is the big question? do I stop one night in an RV park (and which one) in Carlsbad, than move to an RV park in san diego close to SeaWorld?(and which one:), or stay in one place and use transportation to go to parks and back? than, heading to Disneyland, what park would you recommend? than I was thinking heading out of Disney Thursday after lunch, try and pass LA area before traffic starts and head up the coast with a night stop somewhere along the way (recommendations?), than Saturday head all the way back up to Reno....

any help will be great....we are new to the whole RV thing and this will be our first time for such a length and with so many....
9 REPLIES 9

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun and congrats on the new rig! Let us know how it all goes. Trip reports are fun to read.

seal13il
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone:), I am a SoCal refugee to nv ๐Ÿ˜‰ (LA), decided (and booked), Carlsbad for 1st night, drive to LEGOLAND and park there, than to campland for two nights, than Disney, I think we will skip the coastal drive and just head back up 395 to Reno....

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis said, "At no time does our LA traffic stop." Gosh, I disagree. It stops every weekday from 5:30 am to 10 am, and then again from 3 pm to 7:30 pm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And for folks back in the US who have never driven in California, check out clips of "The Californians" from Saturday Night Live on Youtube. Those skits accurately capture the flavor of the routine Southern Calif conversation about traffic and routing. It is a documentary, not a parody.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
What everyone else said and I'll add that you should make your reservations as soon as possible. Spring Break and all. Of course, you are almost a Californian in Reno so you likely already know this. ๐Ÿ™‚

Camp Land on the Bay in SD will work well for you with the entire family and more in tow. A bit pricey but worth it I think. Lots of acrivities with a casual resort feel to it.

Traffic never stops here but if you leave Disney at 12pm instead of 5pm you will save hours driving as you suspected. The key is to be past the West Valley by 3pm.

Have fun and congrats on your new rig!

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mean to be picky, but the route numbers are misleading. The 118 at Simi Valley does not connect to the 126. Following the 118, you either continue at Moorpark through farm land or join the 23 to 101 at Thousand Oaks. Living in Ventura, I always drive my RV south on the 118 at Saticoy to the I5 to I 210 after morning drive time.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo, close but no cigar, Kalyzoo is correct. To use the 126, continue on the 5 past the 118 and Magic Mountain to the 126. In my opinion during heavy traffic time on the 118 and 101, I prefer 126, the DW won't even try it. It used to be a local St Hwy but now it is pretty much freeway. Prettier that 118/26/and the 101 through Thousand Oaks.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Kalynzoo, Good directions there. I use that route quite often. Minor correction its hwy 126 not 26. Also we like Flying Flags and have stayed there many times.

In Buellton I recommend Industial Eats (walking distance from F.F.), Anderson's Pea Soup, Hitching Post II (featured in the movie Sideways, great food).
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"try and pass LA area before traffic starts"

At no time does our LA traffic stop. Drive carefully in the right hand lane you'll be fine. Consider avoiding I5 from the Orange County line to Sylmar.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
For San Diego our family favorite, for more years than I can remember, has always been Campland On The Bay. Large, rustic campground with family, children activities planned all day long. Enclosed, with only one road in or out makes it a great place to let the kids run off by themselves. Many playgrounds, lovely bay beach, boat rentals, bike rentals. We try to get there almost every year, previously with the kids, not with kids and grandkids. San Diego KOA is also a gem in the KOA group. Our first choice has always been Campland.
There are a few parks near Disneyland. All offer shuttle service. None are much to talk about. Just clean parking lots with hookups. It is expected that you wake up early, head to the park, stay till late, and come back to sleep.
There is no end to LA traffic. Either head out after 10am before 2pm or stay for dinner and leave after 8pm, and you will still hit traffic. Take any road, a bit out of the way, to catch the 210. Up the 57, or 5 to the 605, or if your lucky you can stay on the 5. Your goal is to get to the 118 North. The 118 with go through Simi and turn and become the 26. The 26 will reach the 101 in Thousand Oaks near Oxnard. The head up the 101. You may hit traffic between Oxnard and Ventura, then it will open up as you drive by the Ocean until Santa Barbara, where it will be congested through the small city. Then wide open again. In Buelton, near Solvang, on the 101 is Flying Flags RV Resort. Wonderful place to stop. Large grassy sites, big playground, nice pool, children friendly. Walking distance from FlyingFlags is a little whole in the wall restaurant, Ethel's I think, grey building across the street from the Windmill. Fantastic food, historic, been there for ages, great for breakfast or dinner. If you want to stay on the 101 then Santa Cruz KOA is a great stop. Otherwise you head east on 46 to pick up the 5. Not much to look forward to on the 5.
Happy Trails.