Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spring Break camping with Kids

skwid
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to take the kids camping for spring break for 4-5 days and we'd love to tap the knowledge here on RV.net. I have two daughters about 5 yrs old and we want to go somewhere with a lot of children's activities or Resort style place I suppose. They are usually down for anything really...

We're in the Louisville, KY area and don't mind a 4-6 hour trip pulling our camper. We've been to quite a few places around here but like always we're finding new places year after year.

Any suggestions from the community?

Thank you in advance!
25 REPLIES 25

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We liked the lake at Julian price , but the campsites and roads need serious overhauling. Drive through Linville and much better.

Moses cone was cool also.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Found it! It is called "Wiseman's Overlook". If you look on google map, Wiseman road is just a few blocks south of the parkway. It shows as about a mile of paved and then it is gravel for a long ways. Okay for 2wd in reasonable weather. I would not do it in a rainstorm. You'll be driving long enough to think you made a wrong turn, but it is clear when you get there.

The Moses Cone Memorial and house was pretty cool too.

We preferred the Linville Falls campground to Julian Price.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
A few things to research are the Hiking trails at the falls themselves, go to all 3 lookouts, they're all worth it! If you pack a picnic and spend some time sitting and soaking the view in, then it is a full day activity. It was for us. There is another trail that goes down to the base of the falls. It's fairly strenuous, but was an adventure for us and a stunning spot to hang out.

Go to the Linville Caverns....on second thought, if you're in Kentucky, you likely have seen better caves, we haven't.

There is a drive to an overlook that follows a fairly rough gravel road for about 6-8 miles. It was the most stunning spot we've seen in all of Appalachia. I'll find out the name for you if you message me before going. Or perhaps someone else knows?

The Linville Viaduct is worth seeing, but was actually a let down for me. It is an engineering marvel if that's your thing.

And of course, Grandfather Mountain itself! They have a good website that gives an idea of all it offers.

Let me know of the road you were talking about.

The viaduct is cool. Was fun to walk underneath it. Not much more than 30-45 minute visit though.

We really like Price lake at Julian price memorial park. Hope we can find more places like that where only canoes and kayaks are allowed, no motor boats.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Linville Falls / Grandfather Mountain makes a great trip too! It doesn't have all the touristy stuff, but is beautiful country. My young kids loved it, but they enjoy hiking and such as much as the city activities. The gorge itself has a character unlike anything else in the area.

wbwood, I imagine Linville is a staple trip for you?

Actually our go to place is normally Stone Mountain State Park. We've been going over to Boone a little more as well. This past year we stayed at Julian price memorial park on the BRP one weekend. The Linville falls campground there is nice. No hookups but still a neat place. Linville Caverns is fun to do.

The good part about gatlinburg/pigeon forge is that you have the GSMNP there. And just across it is Cherokee, which kids love. A good day trip.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
A few things to research are the Hiking trails at the falls themselves, go to all 3 lookouts, they're all worth it! If you pack a picnic and spend some time sitting and soaking the view in, then it is a full day activity. It was for us. There is another trail that goes down to the base of the falls. It's fairly strenuous, but was an adventure for us and a stunning spot to hang out.

Go to the Linville Caverns....on second thought, if you're in Kentucky, you likely have seen better caves, we haven't.

There is a drive to an overlook that follows a fairly rough gravel road for about 6-8 miles. It was the most stunning spot we've seen in all of Appalachia. I'll find out the name for you if you message me before going. Or perhaps someone else knows?

The Linville Viaduct is worth seeing, but was actually a let down for me. It is an engineering marvel if that's your thing.

And of course, Grandfather Mountain itself! They have a good website that gives an idea of all it offers.

skwid
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Linville Falls / Grandfather Mountain makes a great trip too! It doesn't have all the touristy stuff, but is beautiful country. My young kids loved it, but they enjoy hiking and such as much as the city activities. The gorge itself has a character unlike anything else in the area.

Hmm, I've never heard of linville falls area. I just looked it up and it looks great. I will be making a trip there for sure!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
You need to get to the smokies more often if you're only 4 hours! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol. We often forget that we are within a 4 hr drive to Gatlinburg ourselves. And we have not camped there yet! We have in Cherokee back in 2010. Stayed in a cabin numerous times, but not in the rv.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I too say Gatlinburg, Pigion Forge, Smokies in TN
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
You need to get to the smokies more often if you're only 4 hours! ๐Ÿ™‚

skwid
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for posting great Ideas. I am for sure going to mark all these up for future trips. I think we will probably do the Gatlinburg thing this time around. It's been years since Ive been there and I think the kids will probably like it. It is only about 4 hours from where I'm at.

Thank you again.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
How about Nashville? Several campgrounds in the area. We really like that city.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Another for Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge... Don't forget Dixie Stampede, Hatfield & McCoy, Aquarium, Obergatlinburg, etc. Plus you're right outside the Smokeys if you want a hike or something. So much to do around there that young kids would have a good time with (ours did) ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
I agree with Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown and Busch Gardens, but that is WAY over his 6 hour limit and would probably be better if were later in the year, like the end of May or first of June - weatherwise. I also think all kids should go to DC to experience the monuments, Smithsonian and the National Zoo. (All of which is free, it's been paid for by our tax dollars!) They have a much better grasp of these things when they get into school. I know it has helped both of ours and they are 1st and 4th this year.

All over his 6 hr limit....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L