cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Springfield Illinois camping and site seeing.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Late this month we'll be heading to Springfield to check out all the Abe Lincoln history. Do you have any suggestions for places to camp and things to do while we are there?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
11 REPLIES 11

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. You have been very generous with your time and knowledge. We are grateful; and I'm pretty sure we will have a great trip.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Most have been mentioned, but depending on the time of year, The Sweet Corn Festival, The Route 66 Festival, and the Illinois State Fair are all worth a visit. Washington Park is very nice and is home to one of the word's great carillons. City Band Concerts are a good way to spend an evening.

My hometown of Lincoln, Il (The only town named for him before he became famous) has a few things plus the restored Postville Courthouse where Abe practiced law.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wadcutter is right about the governors. ๐Ÿ™‚ Interesting state to live in. That said, I'd second any recommendation for either Lincoln's New Salem SP or the KOA. We've been to both - more amenities at the KOA, of course, and it has a country atmosphere, which we liked, but the history at the SP can't be beat. We camped at the KOA in 2012, and last camped at the SP in the 1980s, so can't speak to its current condition. We enjoyed it then, however.

Definitely make sure to see the Lincoln Museum downtown. All of the above is kid-friendly, if that applies.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
stevepk wrote:
Since I live in Illinois I WILL NOT spend my vacation money in this state. 4 of the last 5 governors are jail birds!

Setting the record straight. Actually the number is 2 of the last 5, prior to the current governor. Ryan and Blagojevich. Only Blago was convicted for crimes he did as governor. Ryan's crimes were for things he had done while secretary of state and had nothing to do with his time as governor. Quinn, Edgar, and Thompson were never charged with any crimes.
Camped in every state

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
Since I live in Illinois I WILL NOT spend my vacation money in this state. 4 of the last 5 governors are jail birds!
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed last year at Double J and had a great time. There are some satellite friendly sites there. We did eat a Cozy Dog and visited many of the Lincolin sites. I see you have a big truck so when at the Lincoln Museum, park in the bus parking lot behind the parking garage. You walk around to the pay booth and pay the parking fee. Our dually was too big (in our opinion) for the parking garage.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
New Salem State Park is a good place to camp about 20 miles nort of Springfield.
Bill and Joey the dog

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
For campgrounds there's the Double J and a KOA on the south side of Springfield. The Double J is on I-55 frontage road which is Old US Route 66. Take I-55 Exit 88. Go west then south on the frontage road about 2 miles. The KOA is the same exit but it's east. The signs are small so watch carefully. It can be hard to find particularly after dark. There's a campground at the State Fairgrounds, some FHU. There is the Riverside Campground just northeast of the Fairgrounds. One problem with the Fairgrounds and Riverside during the summer is they're downwind of Springfield's sewer plant. There are times it can get a bit 'ripe' which blows thru those campgrounds. If there is something going on at the fairground their campground can be full.
If you are looking for a state park type setting then NW of Springfield about 15 miles is Lincoln's New Salem State Historical Site. It has a very nice wooded campground. New Salem is where Lincoln grew up as a young man before moving to Springfield. There's a large reconstructed village of New Salem that's free and well worth the visit. It helps you understand Lincoln's beginnings. Weekends usually have re-enactors dressed in period clothing working around the village. The village is also nice to visit at dusk after everyone has left. You'll see deer and wild turkey roaming the area. During the summer weekends there are usually plays in the theatre at the park. Local performers. Usually well done.
North of New Salem is the town of Petersburg. Several historical Lincoln related sites. One is the burial site of Ann Rutledge who was Lincoln's first love. She died young and many historians believe Lincoln never recovered, caused him to have deep depression his entire life, and affected the way he looked at life in general. The burial site is not Rutledge's true burial. The only thing buried there are a few of her buttons and a few bones. Her true burial site is in a secluded cemetery north of Petersburg a couple of miles. It's along a grass waterway about 1/4 mile off the road in the middle of a farmer's field. It is well maintained and accessible by either driving along the waterway in dry weather or walking. Because the cemetery is away from town many years after Rutledge died the relatives wanted to move her body into Petersburg. Very little was found so Ann is buried in 2 places.
Between New Salem and Springfield is the town of Athens. Visit the Long 9 Museum. It's generally regarded as the unofficial location for the beginning of the Republican Party. The "Long 9" were 9 guys, including Lincoln, who were dissatisfied with the Whig Party, met at the Museum location, and planned strategies. They were called the "Long 9" because like Lincoln they were all taller than average.
For things to see - Of course, Lincoln Presidential Museum. It's not like any other presidential museum. If you just want to take a quick walk thru then plan for at least 4 hrs. You'll leave disappointed that you didn't stay longer. Arrive early and plan to spend the day. Take your time inside and don't miss any of it. It's a mixture of museum and Disney displays.
A 1/2 block south of the Museum on 7th St is the Springfield Visitors Bureau. Stop by there to get maps and info on events.
Lincoln's home is a few blocks south the Museum. It's a National Park. Must see. In the downtown area there are Lincoln's law office and other Lincoln related sites. Visit the Old State Capitol.
On the north end of town is Oak Ridge Cemetery where Lincoln and most of his family are buried. It's the 2nd most visited cemetery in the US behind Arlington. It's a walk thru tomb. Guides will tell the story of Lincoln's first burial location, how tomb raiders tried to dig up and steal his body, and how he is buried now so that no one can ever attempt to steal his body again. One night a week military re-enactors do a lowering of the colors. Nice presentation worth the visit. They give the flag to one of the visitors.
Just a few blocks from Oak Ridge Cemetery is IL's Military Museum at Camp Lincoln, IL National Guard HQ. A hidden gem in Springfield that few visit. A couple of unique exhibits you won't find in any other museum. There's a target that was fired by Lincoln when he was president. A guy named Spencer showed up a the White House with a new rifle he'd invented. He knocked on the White House door and asked the butler to see Lincoln. The called for Lincoln who met the man carrying the rifle. Lincoln called a few others who were in the White House to come along and they went to the area near the Washington Monument, set up targets, and shot the man's new rifle. Lincoln ordered 5000 of them for the Army. Another exhibit is Santa Anna's wooden leg. Santa Anna of the Alamo fame. The IL Militia was deployed to Mexico in search of Santa Anna and they raided his camp early one morning while Santa Anna was still asleep. In Santa Anna's haste to escape he left before he could put on his leg. The IL Militia captured his leg and it's now on display.
About every town in the area has some connection to Lincoln as he traveled extensively as a surveyor, mailman, lawyer, and debate sites when running for president. One of Lincoln's opponents was Stephen Douglas, also an IL person. Most of the presidential debates occurred in IL. 45 miles west of Springfield is Beardstown. That's the site where Lincoln's famous 'almanac' trial was held. Lincoln was representing a man accused of killing another. A witness claimed to recognize the accused in the middle of the night as he was lighted by the light of the full moon. Lincoln used the almanac to show that on the night of the murder there was no moon. About 30 miles SE of Springfield is Taylorville. It's the site of Lincoln's famous "Writ of Quietus" filing. The courthouse at the time was an old wooden building on rock pilings with an open underneath. The buildings were built with open underneaths to aid in air flow for cooling. Pigs would get under the courthouse because it was cooler. During one trial the pigs were making so much noise that Lincoln filed a motion for a "Writ of Quietus" to force the judge to silence the pigs. There's now a statute on the courthouse lawn commemorating the filing.
If you're a Route 66 fan there are lots of Route 66 sites as the route ran right thru Springfield. South of Springfield on the north side of Auburn, IL is the only remaining in-use brick paved stretch of Route 66. It's about 2 miles in length and still used everyday.
A couple of local foods visitors need to try. One is the Cozy Dog. Buzz Waldmire is credited with inventing the dog on a stick. It's not a corn dog. It's a Cozy Dog. The Waldmire family still owns and operates the Cozy Dog which is a Route 66 site.
Another local food is the horseshoe. Smaller portions are called ponyshoes. Texas toast with your choice of meat, or vegetable if you're a vegetarian. Topped with French fries. All that covered with cheese sauce. The cheese sauces vary with each restaurant having their own recipe. D'Arcy's Pint is usually voted as having the best horseshoe. You won't find a restaurant in Springfield that doesn't sell some variation of the horseshoe. Be sure you're really hungry if you order a horseshoe. Usually a ponyshoe is big enough.
If you need more suggestions of things to see and do let me know. You can easily stay busy for a week visiting the sites.
Camped in every state

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Riverside Park in Springfield, about 4 miles north of downtown.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Double J south of Springfield on the old Route 66. The Lincoln museum is a must and his grave site. The Lincoln Library is basically for researchers. Have a corn dog at the Cozy Dog Drive Inn; or maybe two. For a complete list of things to do try a Google search for `Springfield, IL tourism'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
The Lincoln Home
The Old State Capitol
Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices
The Old Train Depot
New Salem State Park
Ann Rutledge gravesite
Lincoln Tomb
The old, first tomb

Non-Lincoln Activities
Boat ride on the Sangamon River
Springfield Memorial Gardens
The Zoo
Lake Springfield

There are a number of campgrounds just off I-55 south of town and Riverside Park a small park with limited facilities at the north end of town. And a couple of state parks but the best place is the Springfield KOA southeast of town in Rochester, Illinois. It's a complete campground and very quiet.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance