cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St. Mary’s Glacier NP inconsistent dimensions??

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I was looking at St. Mary campground glacier national Park. One of the sites had what I thought was some inconsistencies in the dimensions. See the attached photo. Can anyone explain why if the driveway is 65 feet long and the site length is 45 feet why only a 27-foot long trailer?

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
11 REPLIES 11

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all of the campsites at St. Marys are pull-throughs. Depending on which site you are looking at, part of the Driveway Length may also be shared with adjacent campsites. Some of the pull throughs also have pretty tight turns, limiting maneuverability of your combination.

I have also found that vehicle length means different things at various NFS and NPS CGs. For some, it's the total of your TV and trailer. For other CGs, it's only the trailer length.

Also note that the example you posted also shows a moderate grade. They may be trying to account for how far up or down your tongue has to be to get level.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Check vehicle restrictions for your TV on Going to the Sun Highway

We will take the bus if it is running

Depending on snow depth, the road sometimes opens after July 4th.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Different campgrounds use slightly different definitions, but overall, I belive it means:

The Site Length is the length of the spot you are using. Basically, it's the private use spot assigned to you.

Driveway Length is the length of the driveway from the campground road to your actual camping site. You may be the only site on that driveway or it could be a shared driveway with another site. The driveway may not be level or straight. Generally the driveway is for access to the site but not part of your private site.

Maximum Vehicle Length can be the maximum length of the combined RV set up or the maximum length of any single piece that the campground sets based on what can negotiate the campground, the driveway or the actual spot. It may be because of a turn or narrow roads, or tight squeeze, etc. You need to verify with the campground their definition of this.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:

We will take the bus if it is running
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Geo*Boy wrote:
Norman, do yourself a favor and visit Glacier NP from the west side.

I will spend two nights at Devil Creek NFS CG and a trip to west side and if Going To Sun road is open maybe a day trip to west side.

Travel Photos

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Norman, do yourself a favor and visit Glacier NP from the west side.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Driveway length is access road.
Site length is length of site to the access road where rig sits.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:

A trick that a fellow RV.netter showed me is to use Google Earth and try to get a satellite view of the site in question.

I looked on Google Earth. No help, but could be the turn in radius.

Travel Photos

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes the data in these databases is not as accurate as one would hope.

Sometimes the maximum vehicle length is limited not by the site itself but by the turn into the site or the access road.

Having local knowledge is a big help. Sometimes the pictures of the site they post on the reservation site (or others post elsewhere) are a big help in figuring out what is up, if they are available and show things from useful angles.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vehicle length may be limited by the room you have to back in, even though the site is able to handle a longer rig. The driveway may bend around a tree or two which would account for the length.

A trick that a fellow RV.netter showed me is to use Google Earth and try to get a satellite view of the site in question.