cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain, GA and Outer banks, NC - What to do?

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-
We leave July 4 for 6 nights at the Stone Mountain CG in Georgia and then 5 nights at the Cape Hatteras KOA in NC.

We are wondering what the "must do" things are in those areas.

We have 3 kids, ages 10, 8 and 4. We like all things outdoors (tours, hiking, scenic drives, waterfalls, etc), as well as typical touristy things. We'd like day trips to be max of about 1.5 hours drive from the CGs.

I know in GA we plan on going to the park that Stone Mountain CG is attached to, and the wife and son are going to visit the Walking Dead set (any suggestion on what tour is best?). Looking for something adventurous (zip lines, etc) for the daughter (age 10) and I to do.

Thanks in advance, can't wait for your suggestions!

In NC, we are mostly clueless. I see there are a lot of nature areas to explore, but wondering what's to be done.
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
11 REPLIES 11

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
I was in Atlanta on business a few years ago and decided to visit Stone Mountain. Its a huge rock with Confederate Generals Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis carved into the side. Probably not politically correct anymore since many southern states are removing the Confederate Flag from their state houses.
Would not surprise me if the idiots in office want to remove that history also.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nightly laser light show over the Confederate Memorial on the side of Stone Mountain. Downtown Atlanta: Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, High Musuem, Children's Museum of Atlanta, MLK Memorial, Atlanta Zoo, Botantical Garden, CNN Tour, College football Hall of Fame, Civil Rights Musuem, Museum of Natural History or a Braves Game if there are in town. Want to do multiple items cheaper: http://www.citypass.com/atlanta Checkout some Atlanta home town classics with a trip to the Waffle House Museum or back stage tour of Chick Fil A.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Stone Mtn. may not be there much longer. I'd visit it while you can.:W
Why? What is going to happen to it?

OP - make sure you hike up the side on Stone Mountain. It's not that hard. You can take the cable car back down. Lots of info at the office on stuff to do there.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Atlanta on business a few years ago and decided to visit Stone Mountain. Its a huge rock with Confederate Generals Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis carved into the side. Probably not politically correct anymore since many southern states are removing the Confederate Flag from their state houses.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Stone Mtn. may not be there much longer. I'd visit it while you can.:W
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention ATV dunes rides $$ at Duck; deep sea fishing if you have the time; surf fishing; and, swimming/sunning on the beaches or sound. I took my Grandkids who live in MI and had never seen the ocean. I couldn't keep them out of the water; they enjoyed it so much!!
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome guys, thanks! Keep the suggestions coming!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
Also, Outer Banks: Currituck Lighthouse at Corolla; Mariner's Museum at Manteo; Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum at Hatteras; the Chicamacomico Life Saving Museum are interesting. In Atlanta: underground Atlanta; World of Coke; Atlanta Braves game; CNN studio tour; Grant Park/zoo/cyclorama of Battle of Atlanta; Six Flags over Georgia theme park.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Atl. go to the aquarium and see the whales.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
OBX recommendations:

Plan on a full day in the Nags Head / Manteo area. Drive up to Carolla and take one of the tours that go out to see the wild ponies (use your own vehicle if you have 4wd). Take family picture in front of Carolla Lighthouse - climbing is optional. Then back to Kitty Hawk for the Wright Brothers Memorial. Next climb Jockey's Ridge and race the kids down the face to the bottom - repeat. Over to Manteo and Festival Park for the QE II sailing ship. Next, get to Fort Raleigh National Historic Site in time to view the Park and buy your tickets to that evening's performance of The Lost Colony. This will probably take all day but, if you need to fill some time, the Elizabethan Gardens adjoin Fort Raleigh and the NC Aquarium is also nearby. Maybe check with the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge to see if there's a wolf howling planned.

Middle OBX - stop at Bodie Island Lighthouse for family photo, climb is optional. Stop at Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center

Southern OBX - visit Cape Hatteras Lighthouse; climb is mandatory here. Check ranger programs at Visitor Center to see if any are of interest, the seining and crabbing are something most kids enjoy. Nice miniature golf course and go kart track a few miles south of the Lighthouse. Take free ferry to Ocracoke. Pony pens are about halfway (6 miles) between ferry landing and town. Drive to Village and park in lot next ro southern ferry terminal. Rent golf cart and explore the town. Visit Ocracoke Lighthouse and take family photo, no climbing here.

Water is of course the main attraction of the OBX. In addition to the ocean, there are numerous public parking areas on the sound side and we like that better for younger children. Water is less than three feet deep for a hundred yards or more out in most places. The kite boarders and wind surfers will share the beach with you.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us. Post your lighthouse pics for all to see.

samsphones
Explorer
Explorer
At outer banks you have Jockeys Ridge where you can walk on top of it kids will love it and Wright Brothers memorial in Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras Light house in Hatteras, the Bodie Lighthouse along hiway 12 toward Hatteras, take the ferry over to Okracoke Island.