cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Substancial deposit required

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if others have ran into this. When you go to make a Rez at a CG, have you ever been asked to pay either full or half at time of Rez and then bal upon arrival or just 1 nite? To the best of my knowledge, every place we've ever gone to is just 1 nite deposit and bal due upon arrival. For those CG that are requiring half/full payment, they are using your $$$ to collect interest IMO once they get it. Other's thoughts.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
29 REPLIES 29

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, a couple of the places that we really like require at least a 50%, if not a full payment at time of reservation. We have a lake we go to with a group that requires full payment. The place we go in Florida in the winter requires 50%. Places that have high demand can make those requirements, because they know that people will pay it. Both these campgrounds are worth the risk in my mind and I know that we are going unless there is a horrible weather event or personal tragedy. In those cases I'm sure I could get most of my deposit back.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
I personally thing that weekend reservations should be non-refundable, threedays or more, and pay up front.

I have no problem with the non-refundable part, but the three days might be a stretch. Many a family comes out for the weekend on Friday and returns Sunday in order to be at work Monday. A three day minimum would be a significant hit to a large group of people. Around here, many private locations have three day minimums for holiday weekends (when people stay until Monday anyway), but allow for the regular two-night stay over the weekend. That policy makes sense to me.

Johno02 wrote:
For travelers, several days including a weekend is almost impossible. Have had to Walmart because of that many times, while CGs sit unused during the rest of the week.

This is precisely why I book our entire season by January of each year. I simply don't want to worry about whether or not a site will be reserved for me. In most cases, all I've risked is a $10-$15 cancellation fee if my plans change, which they rarely do. DW and I plan out our season in the fall and winter, then by January I've got everything lined up - including overnight stays on the road. Would be a bit harder for someone full-timing, but it's an increasing need in the growing demand that's out there right now.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Very common for most national state and COE parks to require entire payment up front. big reduction on the "reserve the weekend, then don't go" folks. Especially for non-refundables. I personally thing that weekend reservations should be non-refundable, threedays or more, and pay up front. For travelers, several days including a weekend is almost impossible. Have had to Walmart because of that many times, while CGs sit unused during the rest of the week.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just an observation that may our may not be accurate.

Deposit requirements at private RV parks are higher in the East (typically 1/2 or full down) than in the West (typically a 1 night or no deposit).
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Had one instance that we were unabe to make it to the campground to keep our reservation. They had a no refund policy that I was fully aware of so they issued a credit for future use. I was happy with that and used it on our return trip only a few weeks later.

When on the road and need an overnight we call ahead for availability. Some ask for a deposit which I decline and say I will take my chances that we arrive before you are full. Never been shut out...but then we like to be off the road by 5pm. Around 7pm I see a rush of people coming into the park where ever we stay.

Early in our beginning camping days I made reservations with deposit that I lost because of one reason or another not being able to make it to the CG. I learned. I will not make reservations unless it is a destination we are staying at for a week or more. Then I know the rules and their policy and if something goes wrong I talk with the owner nicely and usually come to a happy agreement on future use or if I miss the first night I eat the loss. That's the way it goes.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've encountered it from time to time.

I'd actually often prefer to pay the full fee with the reservation, rather than have to bother with two separate transactions. Regardless, it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Quite a few other businesses work in this basic way, too. If you book a round-trip flight, you have to pay for the whole thing up front, not just for the first leg.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The more popular campgrounds want 1/2 deposit and sometimes paid in full a week or 2 before you arrive.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
If you plan to stay there pay the deposit no harm no foul.
If you don't plan to stay there don't pay.
Once you understand the problems no shows create. You'll understand the need for full deposits.
Small $$$$ deposits lead to abuse.
If you only make a small deposits there is a higher likelihood that you will encounter a last minute death in the family. If you pay a full deposit you will be there as planned and the deceased will be put on ice...lol
This pretty much sums it up. And no, park owners don't have some secret investment account that earns us some fantastic amount of interest on a deposit. We keep our deposits in our normal operating accounts that might earn .15%. Even if your deposit was for $1000.00 and we held it for 6 months we would earn a whopping 75 cents. Considering each credit card transaction costs over 2% of the transaction amount holding that money has cut our costs of that deposit from $20.00 all the way down to $19.25. Simply another example of the rich getting richer....not.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - I run into it all the time. Around here, the higher demand/holiday weekends often require full payment at the time of reservation. I can still cancel and get a refund if need be (usually for a $10 fee or so), but about 1/2 of my 2020 camping costs are already paid.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We've experienced all variations from no upfront fee to full amount charged to your card when you reserve(Florida state parks I think). Georgia requires a down payment and balance upon arrival.
Jayco-noslide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you plan to stay there pay the deposit no harm no foul.
If you don't plan to stay there don't pay.
Once you understand the problems no shows create. You'll understand the need for full deposits.
Small $$$$ deposits lead to abuse.
If you only make a small deposits there is a higher likelihood that you will encounter a last minute death in the family. If you pay a full deposit you will be there as planned and the deceased will be put on ice...lol
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
At State Parks, NP's, USACE campgrounds, you pay for the entire reservation upfront, there are no partial deposits. You pay it when booking, sometimes up to 11 months in advance, or you don't and go elsewhere.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Their campground: their rules.
No shows are a big problem, specially with multi night reservations. If three nights are reserved and they don't show the first night, what does the CG do? Have an empty space for the second and third night, or rent to someone else and have the original renter show up and find is reservation is gone, or keep the spot open and turn away business?

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Have run into multiple types of deposit situations. If I don't like it I just go elsewhere.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I would not pay more than a one night deposit! Unless your staying longer and the deposit is for electric which is billed seperately.