cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sugarloaf Key KOA - thoughts?

tammytomandgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I've read multiple different opinions on this campground on tripadvisor and it has only confused me. I would REALLY like to be at Bahia Honda if we drive all the way down there but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen..so, I'm considering this campground but some of these reviews are TERRIBLE. Thoughts?
Tammy & Tom ๐Ÿ™‚ our two girls Tyler (12) and Paige (6)
1997 3/4 ton Suburban 454
2006 Coachman Chaparral 280BHS
23 REPLIES 23

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Upon looking online at Sugarloaf and Bluewater, I found that the Sugarloaf sites were cheaper for a family like us. Bluewater charges an extra $10 per night for each person over 12 years old beyond the first 2. They also charge you to store a tow dolly ($6/day in off season). They won't allow you to keep it on site. For us, we would be paying an additional $16/night past the nightly stay.

On another note, I was just told that Bluewater's prices increase yearly between 10-12%. They won't have rates for the off season posted until March/April. You can make reservations now, but you won't have the correct price. But if you stay at Bluewater, price doesn't matter, right? lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
JoeH wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Since we have an older RV we would stay at the KOA over Bluewater Key at Bluewater Key " All units are subject to management approval". We would not want to get there and find that we did not measure up and told not to let the screen door hit you where the good lord split you.

I have seen all different ages of RV's at Blue Water.. they just expect that it is maintained in good condition ... as is the case in many places we have been

My point is that you or me have no clue what they will approve or not approve and it would ruin a planned trip if they disapproved and all the other places on the Keys were booked.
Example after long day pulled into Napa Valley Expo to be told by camp host we did not meet age requirement to stay even though the written, published and posted rules had no age requirement. They stated no missing doors. Long story short we were allowed to spend the night and the big NEWER DP with missing compartment doors was welcomed with no problem.
If you have a older RV and you want to risk your trip to the Keys on management approval then that's fine however you need to know that there is that risk.
That is truly an amazing story. In all the years I have owned RV parks I can't say I have ever had a rig pull in missing compartment doors even though we don't mention any prohibitions against it. And there you are staying in a park that specifically prohibits it and lo and behold a rig shows up missing bay doors. What are the odds? A park with a specific policy about missing doors and a rig missing a door arriving at that park on the same day you were there for a one night stay. Guess my Powerball ticket has a chance after all.

Was the inaugural trip for the people and they cut it to sharp coming out of a fuel island and nailed the end post on the end of the fuel island.
Rule 12
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
JoeH wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Since we have an older RV we would stay at the KOA over Bluewater Key at Bluewater Key " All units are subject to management approval". We would not want to get there and find that we did not measure up and told not to let the screen door hit you where the good lord split you.

I have seen all different ages of RV's at Blue Water.. they just expect that it is maintained in good condition ... as is the case in many places we have been

My point is that you or me have no clue what they will approve or not approve and it would ruin a planned trip if they disapproved and all the other places on the Keys were booked.
Example after long day pulled into Napa Valley Expo to be told by camp host we did not meet age requirement to stay even though the written, published and posted rules had no age requirement. They stated no missing doors. Long story short we were allowed to spend the night and the big NEWER DP with missing compartment doors was welcomed with no problem.
If you have a older RV and you want to risk your trip to the Keys on management approval then that's fine however you need to know that there is that risk.
That is truly an amazing story. In all the years I have owned RV parks I can't say I have ever had a rig pull in missing compartment doors even though we don't mention any prohibitions against it. And there you are staying in a park that specifically prohibits it and lo and behold a rig shows up missing bay doors. What are the odds? A park with a specific policy about missing doors and a rig missing a door arriving at that park on the same day you were there for a one night stay. Guess my Powerball ticket has a chance after all.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
TyroneandGladys wrote:
JoeH wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:

You can also solve this by sending them pics of your rig ahead of time.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:

Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
soricobob wrote:
I think Bluewater Key is the only one around that only allows Type A motorhomes.
When we stayed there a C class and a 5er were there also. we rode thru the KOA while we were there and would not stay there, sites just to close and price was about the same as Bluewater. Comparing Bluewater Key and KOA is like comparing a VW to a Rolls.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
soricobob: If you are talking Class A motorhomes then you are wrong. There was a TT, 5er and a truck camper there last year.

2 sites from us over xmas was an airstream trailer.... they do not allow pop-ups and units ( whatever they might be) must be 20ft long or longer. I never saw a truck camper ( pickup with a slide in unit) there, unless you are referring to a Super C or OTR truck conversion.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
soricobob: If you are talking Class A motorhomes then you are wrong. There was a TT, 5er and a truck camper there last year.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

soricobob wrote:
I think Bluewater Key is the only one around that only allows Type A motorhomes.

Not true....we spent a week there last year in our 5th wheel....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
soricobob wrote:

Flat wrong.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is a "Type A " motorhome?
Our rig is a 1993, we stayed at Bluewater Key last year. We were not the oldest rig there. A couple other rigs were definitely older and much more worn then ours.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
TyroneandGladys wrote:

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there in 2010 and had several inches of rain overnight which flooded several sites. Check on it
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat