cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sugarloaf Key KOA - thoughts?

tammytomandgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I've read multiple different opinions on this campground on tripadvisor and it has only confused me. I would REALLY like to be at Bahia Honda if we drive all the way down there but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen..so, I'm considering this campground but some of these reviews are TERRIBLE. Thoughts?
Tammy & Tom ๐Ÿ™‚ our two girls Tyler (12) and Paige (6)
1997 3/4 ton Suburban 454
2006 Coachman Chaparral 280BHS
23 REPLIES 23

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Since we have an older RV we would stay at the KOA over Bluewater Key at Bluewater Key " All units are subject to management approval". We would not want to get there and find that we did not measure up and told not to let the screen door hit you where the good lord split you.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
tammytomandgirls wrote:
I've read multiple different opinions on this campground on tripadvisor and it has only confused me. I would REALLY like to be at Bahia Honda if we drive all the way down there but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen..so, I'm considering this campground but some of these reviews are TERRIBLE. Thoughts?

If you want to be near Bahia Honda, but can't get in, check into Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. Great place,owners,staff.
But--- if you travel with a dog, forget it as they aren't allowed due to the protected key deer wandering the grounds.
Back to the Sugarloaf question - we stayed there once as we won a free stay at a KOA booth at the RV show. The place was OK, but it was in the summer months so it was sparsely populated. The sites are small, but didn't natter as we didn't have any neighbors.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Kentucky_Rambl1
Explorer
Explorer
We,ve stayed there in the past and would return. As previously mentioned, it is expensive but it is the Keys, you pay for those 80 degree days in January.

We really had a great time. It's lively, nice pool and the tiki bar is a swinging place during the evening. One of nicest things is across the street, it's a cute restaurant called Mangrove Mama's. I think it's an old stage stop from the old days. Great food and atmosphere.

Just thinking about it makes me missing the tiki bar.

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what you are looking for and how tolerant you are to not perfect conditions. We had no problem extending our awning. The sites for the most part are tight, no two ways about it. It's a lively place, has a large tiki bar with entertainment in the evening along with some of the other activities other parks offer. Some sites are on the water, sort of like a lagoon, where you may swim as well as docking for boats and a bait shop. The proximity to Key West is what we were looking for and this fit the bill. We have visited there for the last 4 years and never had a problem, expensive - yes, but you are in the Keys and pay a premium for that. If you prefer a very quiet, country-like park this is not for you, but we won't hesitate returning there next year, we stayed there a couple of weeks ago...

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
They seem about $20/night lower during the off season compared to what the off season rates at Blue Water key had posted earlier...Off course Blue water key is apparently nicer.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Packed in like sardines, and very expensive.
We wouldn't stay there

jack L
Jack & Nanci

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Darn expensive - very narrow sites not even room to put out awning
I am not a KOA hater but I would not recommend this to anybody
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE stayed there once but it was on one of those stay two days get the third free that KOA does a couple of times a year. It was OK, right on the beach. I don't recall anything bad about it and I think we were there during the off season so the prices were probably lower. We use the Jolly Roger in Marathon now when we go down there.

During the season all the prices are outrageous down in the keys.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We found that the KOA was over priced.
We stayed here Bluewater Key for less then KOA and is much nicer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker