Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions - Family roundtrip Orlando to Ft Myers

Natlr1234
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We are from South Africa and will be spending time in Orlando and then doing a short family RV roadtrip with our children and grandchildren (4 X 30 feet RV's - 11 adults and 3 children under the age of 4, in total) for 4 nights departing from Orlando to Fort Myers and then back to Orlando. I have booked the first night in Tampa and thought we should spend the next 2 nights in Sarasota and explore the area and the last night in Ft Myers. Christmas eve and Christmas day will be included in this trip.
I would really appreciate your thoughts/input and advise as to whether you agree with the above.
I am also concerned with transportation in these areas as we will not be towing any additional vehicles with us so will need to rely on public transportation to get out and about once we have parked the RV'S in the campgrounds.
Thanks. Nat.
7 REPLIES 7

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I really doubt that you will get into the Red Coconut at that time of year unless you made reservations a year ago. Having three RV's is going to make it even harder to get into a park. Here are a few that you "might" be able to get into, they are all Pass Port America. It would be worth the $44 membership to get the 1/2 price but keep in mind some of these parks have black out times. In Florida it is usually during the winter months.
North Ft. Myers:
Fox Mobile Home Park 239-995-4695
Jones Mobile Home & RV Park 239-768-1234
Pioneer Village 888-318-1243
Swifts Trailer Park 293-997-4636
Tamiami RV Park 239-997-2697 866-573-2041
Upriver RV Resort 239-543-3330

We've never stayed in any of these because we are from this area. If I can help in any other way please feel free to PM me.

Natlr1234
Explorer
Explorer
Renting 4 separate 27 foot (C class) RV's from Road Bear.
Will now make sure to rent separate car/van hire for these days so we can tour these areas. Was hoping to save this expense but from your comments I realize that this is necessary.
Thomas Edison as well as all the other places suggested will definitely be on our itinerary.
Staying at "Lazydays" near Tampa, then "Sun n Fun" in Sarasota, and then hopefully (not booked yet) "Red Coconut" in Fort Myers and finally "KOA Fort summit" in Orlando.
Thank you for all your suggestions and replies. I really appreciate it.

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Florida (FT Myers), and spent time in the Tampa area (USF), I must inform you that public transportation in not to be counted on; it is designed for workers, not tourists, so does not go where you want to. Ringling and Edison are excellent suggestions; St. Armand's Key, Ding Darling (Sanibel), and several colleges and museums should also make the list. But a rental van is a must!

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you staying in Tampa? Lots of construction near downtown Tampa. Not sure where they are on the project. Check http://www.dot.state.fl.us/
Tampa Aquarium is nice for kids.
Public transportation in Florida is not great. Everything is so spread out. I would rent a car.
Travel plans seem OK.
In Sarasota the Ringling Museum and home is interesting.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would rent a large van, maybe two for 11 adults, 3 kids, and luggage. When in Ft. Myers at Christmas time be sure to visit the Thomas Edison home on the river. It is amazingly beautiful at Christmas time.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Natlr1234 wrote:
Hi,
We are from South Africa and will be spending time in Orlando and then doing a short family RV roadtrip with our children and grandchildren

(4 X 30 feet RV's - 11 adults and 3 children under the age of 4, in total)

for 4 nights departing from Orlando to Fort Myers and then back to Orlando. I have booked the first night in Tampa and thought we should spend the next 2 nights in Sarasota and explore the area and the last night in Ft Myers. Christmas eve and Christmas day will be included in this trip.
I would really appreciate your thoughts/input and advise as to whether you agree with the above.
I am also concerned with transportation in these areas as we will not be towing any additional vehicles with us so will need to rely on public transportation to get out and about once we have parked the RV'S in the campgrounds.
Thanks. Nat.

Does this mean you are taking 4 separate RV's?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
You can not rely on public transportation. Rent a car. The distances are not bad plan a day to each destination.