cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer 2016 at Acadia

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
This year is the 100th Anniversary of Acadia NP, and as such the Park is being aggressively promoted. Expect even larger crowds than usual, and increasingly heavy traffic at places like Cadillac Mountain. Jordan Pond House, Thunder Hole, Seawall, the Park Loop - heck, anywhere! Add to all this the Cruise Ships docking just about every day and disgorging thousands of tourists that shop in Bar Harbor and ride the Trolleys, both public and private, all over the Island. We made our usual reservations at the Oceaanside KOA for September/October 2016 when we left last year, and hope the Island will have quieted down a bit.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie
9 REPLIES 9

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We'll be there late June till about Sept 1. Thanks for the link on the boat tours
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
Hiking Hunter wrote:
Thomas/NH wrote:

I really wanted to stay there this time, but I was afraid my RV would be to big and I really like Oceanside KOA.

The sites on the new B-loop are BIG. 50-70 feet in length, and from a satellite view they are wide and well spaced out.

We'll be there in June.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sites, but 'I'm already booked in at the KOA. Maybe next year... or maybe I'll do it in September, I'm only 2.5 hrs. away.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas/NH wrote:

I really wanted to stay there this time, but I was afraid my RV would be to big and I really like Oceanside KOA.

The sites on the new B-loop are BIG. 50-70 feet in length, and from a satellite view they are wide and well spaced out.

We'll be there in June.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another thought for you... They just open the new Schoodic Woods Campground is located on the Schoodic Peninsula section of the park. It's in Winter Harbor which is across Frenchman Bay from Bar Harbor. Here's the best part, they offer free water shuttle service to Bar Harbor which you can pick up several different tours of the Park (even hiking tours).

Here's a link to it:
https://www.nps.gov/acad/learn/news/acadia-announces-the-grand-opening-of-schoodic-woods-campground.htm

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
We try to make it up there every year or so, usually in September for "Open Lighthouse Day" (second weekend in September). This year we are doing the Grand Slam Lighthouse Tour (17 lighthouses by boat) 7/30/16. then we'll do the self-guided tour of Acadia NP. If you haven't done it before you really should, get the CD at the welcome center best $12 I've spent. While I was listing to the story I kept thinking "I know that voice", I looked at the CD case only to find out it was an old friend I was in the Camera Club with years ago (small world).

Here's a link to it:
http://www.barharborwhales.com/whale-watching-tours/lighthouse-and-national-park-tour/

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ddndoug wrote:
Sure... Now you tell me, we have reservations at Oceanside KOA in June.

Doug

Yup, same here.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Sure... Now you tell me, we have reservations at Oceanside KOA in June.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be there in May-will be interesting to see how busy it gets. Renting a cabin at the Oceanside KOA. Can't wait!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the heads-up:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus