Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer Trip 2016 Advice Please

Ryanjb01
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Looking for input as we begin planning our 2016 Summer Trip.

Leaving from Syracuse, NY and headed Southwest through Ohio to Tennessee. Continuing south to Mississippi and then East through Alabama and North to Kentucky, then home.

We have 21 days. Late July through mid August.

Looking for full hook up sites that can accommodate a 40' 5th wheel.

Clean campgrounds with activities for kids ages 11 and 9. Pet friendly.

Also interested in exploring the area around the areas.

Wondering what others have done and what campgrounds are not to be missed. Hoping that someone has made a trip similar to this and can help get us started in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ryan
2018 GMC 3500 Denali Crew Cab Dually Duramax/Allison ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
Ryan, Marsha, Alyssa and Emily

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" ~ Thomas Edison
14 REPLIES 14

Ryanjb01
Explorer
Explorer
mkl654321 wrote:
Have you considered that the entire area will be uncomfortably humid and often, hellishly hot that time of year? I hope you're used to feeling like someone has soaked a horse blanket in hot water and then draped it over your head, because that's what it will be like.

Oh, and mosquitoes! Lots and lots of mosquitoes. The good news is, if you're on a diet, the bugs make it easy to lose weight due to blood loss.

I would head north instead. Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin can be very nice in the summer (though maybe not all that much less humid), and you really can only find decent weather there in the summer anyway. Save the Upper South for winter.

Unfortunate I am unable to travel during the school year due to our work schedules. It is my goal to have our daughters see all 50 states before they graduate from high school.

Believe me, I am not a huge fan of southern summer temps/humidity. We were in disney fort wilderness last August. Yikes!!!

This trip will be a little more relaxed. Disney was go, go , go all day long. I can tell you I never slept so good though. Wore out!

Thanks for the gentle words of encouragement!!!

Our plan is as follows. Reservations are made. Looking forward to the trip. Thank-you to everyone that gave information.

If anyone has stayed at these places, please feel free to comment.

Total trip is about 30 days total, round trip.

Home is outside of Syracuse, NY
1. Whispering Hills RV Park - Just East of Louisville, Kentucky
2. Nashville KOA
3. EZ Daze RV Park, Southaven, MS - Just south of Memphis, TN
4. Sugar Sands RV Resort, Gulf Shores, Alabama
5. Anchor Down RV Resort, Danbridge, TN Near Pigeon Forge
Back home again

Looking forward to the trip. Lets see what your thoughts are.

Camping season is just around the corner for us here in CNY.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" ~ Thomas Edison

mkl654321
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered that the entire area will be uncomfortably humid and often, hellishly hot that time of year? I hope you're used to feeling like someone has soaked a horse blanket in hot water and then draped it over your head, because that's what it will be like.

Oh, and mosquitoes! Lots and lots of mosquitoes. The good news is, if you're on a diet, the bugs make it easy to lose weight due to blood loss.

I would head north instead. Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin can be very nice in the summer (though maybe not all that much less humid), and you really can only find decent weather there in the summer anyway. Save the Upper South for winter.

qadlo
Explorer
Explorer
I see you are staying in Georgetown, KY, just outside of Lexington. This is horse country and, if you get a chance, you should take a drive along Old Frankfort Pike to see the incredible horse farms that line both sides of this road for 20 miles or so.
Larry & Ramona

Ryanjb01
Explorer
Explorer
ifd22 wrote:
If your looking to stay near the gatlinburg/pigeon forge area check out Anchor down RV resort, by far one of the nicest campgrounds I have seen.

WOW! is all I can say, as well as THANK-YOU!

I just cancelled reservations at the KOA and made them at Anchor Down RV Resort. Cant wait.

Thanks for the information. Not sure how this one slipped by.

Ryan

ifd22
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking to stay near the gatlinburg/pigeon forge area check out Anchor down RV resort, by far one of the nicest campgrounds I have seen.
2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

Ryanjb01
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I'd suggest the Blue Ridge Parkway for the return trip, in part or in whole. I'm not up on full hookup campgrounds along the parkway, but the road itself is magnificent and has many short and not-so-short hiking opportunities along its length. Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground (Swannanoa, NC, near Asheville) is one place that I haven't been at but looks spectacular, particularly the top tier sites. It's not aimed primarily at kids (no playground or pool, etc.).

If you can spare the time/distance, the St Louis City Museum is fantastic, particularly but not exclusively for the kids. The St Louis RV park is within walking distance few blocks away; it's basically a parking lot with (full) hookups, but from what I gather a decent example of that sort of thing. I have not stayed there myself. There are, of course, other fine things to see and do in St. Louis (the zoo and the arch, among others).

HersheyPark and Knoebels both have campgrounds. Knoebels would be my preference of the two, though they're both fine amusement parks. HersheyPark is considerably larger and more modern/"corporate," while Knoebels is more of a traditional park.

I have been on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I seem to remember vehicle restrictions(height/length), but cant remember for sure. Seems like I remember switchbacks and low bridges. At 13'4" its a real concern for me. My GPS sent me in a direction I was not familiar with last summer outside of Lancaster PA. Low bridge in 2 directions at a 4-way stop = not a very good feeling.

I think I am going to try Knoebels on our way home. Never been there but I have heard a lot about it.

Thanks for the information.

Ryan

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Ryanjb01 wrote:
Here are the campgrounds that we made reservations for:

1. Whispering Hills RV Park - Georgetown, Kentucky
2. Nashville KOA, Tennessee
3. EZ Daze RV Resort - Near Memphis but in Mississippi
4. Sugar Sands RV Resort - Gulf Shores, Alabama
5. Pigeon Forge KOA - Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with The Pigeon Forge KOA. I am scheduled for site "C" which is a back-in deluxe site, but according to google earth, the site looks very small. I would like to have personal knowledge of this site before we arrive.

Thanks again for the information. Looking forward to another awesome experience.

Ryan

We didn't stay in Pigeon Forge (it's very, very touristy and busy there, just fyi) but if you're in the area, I do have a couple of kid friendly suggestions. Our kids were 11, 9, and 5 at the time when we visited the Smokies last year.
Drive into Gatlinburg one day and go to Ober Gatlinburg, the parking lot is just before the entrance to the Smokies. There's a chairlift and alpine slide that my kids absolutely loved, not to mention the tram ride to the top was a lot of fun.
We also walked to the the top of Clingsman Dome. It's the highest point in the Smokies and it was a very memorable experience; gave the kids bragging rights.
Also, stop into the first rest stop from Gatlinburg entrance, it's the Chimney tops picnic area. Your kids can rock hop there. It was the highlight of my son's vacation.
Have a great time.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Ryanjb01
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the campgrounds that we made reservations for:

1. Whispering Hills RV Park - Georgetown, Kentucky
2. Nashville KOA, Tennessee
3. EZ Daze RV Resort - Near Memphis but in Mississippi
4. Sugar Sands RV Resort - Gulf Shores, Alabama
5. Pigeon Forge KOA - Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with The Pigeon Forge KOA. I am scheduled for site "C" which is a back-in deluxe site, but according to google earth, the site looks very small. I would like to have personal knowledge of this site before we arrive.

Thanks again for the information. Looking forward to another awesome experience.

Ryan

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest the Blue Ridge Parkway for the return trip, in part or in whole. I'm not up on full hookup campgrounds along the parkway, but the road itself is magnificent and has many short and not-so-short hiking opportunities along its length. Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground (Swannanoa, NC, near Asheville) is one place that I haven't been at but looks spectacular, particularly the top tier sites. It's not aimed primarily at kids (no playground or pool, etc.).

If you can spare the time/distance, the St Louis City Museum is fantastic, particularly but not exclusively for the kids. The St Louis RV park is within walking distance few blocks away; it's basically a parking lot with (full) hookups, but from what I gather a decent example of that sort of thing. I have not stayed there myself. There are, of course, other fine things to see and do in St. Louis (the zoo and the arch, among others).

HersheyPark and Knoebels both have campgrounds. Knoebels would be my preference of the two, though they're both fine amusement parks. HersheyPark is considerably larger and more modern/"corporate," while Knoebels is more of a traditional park.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. We stayed at the Jellystone there and it was great for the kids. Pool and water slide.

We also all really enjoyed Chattanooga, Tennessee. The aquarium was a really nice stop for the kids and the city itself felt safe and was interesting. Go to the top of Lookout Mountain for a history lesson. My kids really enjoyed walking around at Point Park. Beautiful scenery.

Enjoy
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite Alabama campgrounds:

Nocalula Falls, Gadsden, AL
Desoto State Park, Ft.Payne, AL
Oak Mountain State Park, Pelham, AL
Gulf Shores State Park, Gukd Shores, AL

All will fit a 40' fifth wheel with no issues.

Cheaha State Park is beautiful but fitting a rig that big will be hard but not impossible.

Have fun, we will be doing the reverse trip in May 2017 heading to Elmira to show my kids where I grew up.

Merry Christmas
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably too ambitious; many are, but my suggestion would be to do a Google search (let the kids do it) for `________ tourism' and put the state or area or city in the blank space and read what the experts suggest about their area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez MS.
Ohio Amish country around Berlin, Oh. NOT LIKE Lancaster, PA. The area is home to the largest population of Amish in the United States.

Cedar point in Ohio is a large amusement park
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't miss Mammoth Caves NP in KY. There is a good COE CG near, called Cave Creek you can ride a free ferry back and forth to the caves. Otherwise we've always found that to be a dead area in the middle of our trips.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper