cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell me about Cape Cod

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
We're arriving noon on a Thursday in our Class C. Looking to do beaches with our kids (10, 8, and 5) and enjoy P-Town and anywhere else that we should see. Staying at Nickerson State Park that night, then have the whole next day.

Looking specifically for ideas about parking in Provincetown and which beaches to go to. Anything else we need to see in our 36 hours in Cape Cod?
27 REPLIES 27

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Not enough time.

X2
Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I assume we will be able to park the RV there at the port in P-town?

Don't count on it. Very limited large vehicle parking/parking in general. Streets are VERY narrow. You don't say what you have for a unit but if it's much bigger than a small Class C it will difficult. Whale watching out of either spot is fine. If you like to "putter" there's tons of antique stores and the like along the Cranberry Highway. And don't worry about finding food-the vast majority of the restaurants sell other items in addition to seafood.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I convinced my wife to do one more night in Cape Cod and one less in Connecticut!

Booked the very last site at Atlantic Oaks and we'll be there for two nights now.

Thanks everybody! Can't wait.

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you guys are making me want to spend a bit more time there.

Unfortunately I'm the only one in my family who will eat seafood. :R Crazy people.

This gives me a bunch to check out. We were thinking of doing a whale watch cruise, I assume we will be able to park the RV there at the port in P-town?

The alternative is to do a whale watching cruise out of Acadia / Bar Harbor a few days later when we make it up there.

Thanks everybody.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
WHALE WATCH in Provincetown!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Cobies right down the street from Nickerson. Great clams and burgers, black & white frappe, but tourist priced. 36 hours I wouldn't bother spending 8 of it going to P-town, especially with young kids. Too many things to try to explain.

Just go to one of the Dennis beaches, Corporation or Chapin. See if Nickerson has a day pass to a Brewster beach. Also, if you saw the movie "The Finest Hour", the actually boat in that rescue is on display in Rock Harbor.

Finally, if you can't get to any beach, PM me. You can park in my driveway and walk to one of the best beaches on Buzzards Bay.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The General Store & ice creme shop down the street in Brewster. Maybe the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History - walk down to the beach. +1 for Arnolds, we bike there on the Rail Trail. Yes, Coast Guard beach & skip P-town. 36 hours doesn't scratch the surface on what's there & things to do.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the responses in this Forum do a Google search for `Cape Cod tourism' and read what the experts recommend.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If you only have 36 hours and you are at Nickerson, I would go to Coast Guard Beach. I love Race Point but it is a long drive. P-Town is fine for kids-there are a lot of people who lead "alternative lifestyles" but it's now going back to its roots as an artist area. Lots of tourist shopping and fun stores. Waterfront has been redesigned some as well but you will eat an entire day between visiting the town and driving out there. I'd bike along the canal starting in Sandwich. Go to Seafood Sam's for their stuffed quahogs or fried seafood. The trout hatchery in Sandwich is good for an hour or two. Heritage Museum and Gardens, also in Sandwich, has multiple things to do for both kids and adults.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
tohare wrote:
How about first encounter beach on the bay side instead. A bowl of ne clam chowder and a lobster roll at Arnold's right on rt 6 in eastham. Enjoy!

X2

Atlantic Oaks Campground is down the street, bike path behind the campground, also down the street is Salt Pond and Salt Pond Bay, great for Kayaking! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
Short amount of time, so here goes. National seashore for sure. Wellfleet if you like art stuff. Why P-town? It's a long slow trip to a small very funky town with not a lot for kids, with the exception of first landing Monument, or whale watching trip which will take at least half a day. How about first encounter beach on the bay side instead. A bowl of ne clam chowder and a lobster roll at Arnold's right on rt 6 in eastham. Enjoy!

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough time.
We spent a whole week there.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The national seashore is a good beach to go to and you can park anything there.