cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas Beach Camping

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re looking at a first week of April camping trip to South Texas. Weโ€™ll spend a few days in San Antonio, then head to the beach somewhere, per our 14 year old daughters request. I grew up there, but havenโ€™t been back in 30 years, and my daughter never has been there. I remember back in the day, we used to take our pop up down on the beach, seems like around Mustang Island. I also remember my dad getting stuck in our Ford LTD!

We have a 37โ€™ fifth wheel and diesel truck. Several folks have told me to camp on the beach for the experience, but we have nearly 20,000 lbs of truck and camper. Is the sand really that compacted? Any recommendations on where to go? Were driving from TN, so South Padre is a little too far. Weโ€™re wanting to do three to four days in San Antonio or Hill Country area and three days at the beach, probably around Corpus Christi.
10 REPLIES 10

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Lived near Corpus and often camped on Padre Is Natl Seashore. But that's been years ago and I don't know if its still allowed or not.

Beach sand compaction is an entire other issue. Short version is: It Changes. And it can change on a single tide or 2. Way too much 'if-thens' to cover in a forum. No Way I'd take a RV there, but truck camping may work out...depending on that sand thang. Good Luck- great area to visit imo.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch Oven Man wrote:
Weโ€™re wanting to do three to four days in San Antonio or Hill Country area and three days at the beach, probably around Corpus Christi.

If you haven't been there the river walk in San Antonio is beautiful. And it's amazing to see The Alamo around the corner like something out of 200 years ago in the middle of downtown. I also like San Marcos and New Braunfels a lot. But the last time I was there 30 years ago the original Schlitterbahn had gotten too popular for me. It was the best vacation spot back in the 80s before it got popular.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Port Aransas. Lot more for the kids to do there other than just beach.

Other considerations would be: Quintana Beach, Brian Beach, Galveston Island, Crystal Beach or High Island. None of which offer what Port A does. Plus the water is cleaner down south.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Staying on the beach will expose you to almost constant wind and blown sand. That's why all the trees are leaning to the West
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
These are all parks that MAY/SHOULD be able to accommodate you, with water being a short walk across

One more.. south of Houston, there's Matagorda Bay Nature Park.. not directly on beach

Another... Sea Wind county park
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these may be closed/restricted from hurricane damage...we've used them all
Goose Island state park.. beachside and interior sites
Mustang Island state park..almost on beach. . Two rows
Padre Balli county park..On Padre Island, south end of Corpus Christi...basically a parking lot, separated from the beach by a sand dune
South Padre Island...KOA, and two county rv parks..one very large and popular (Isla Blanca)
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd Port Aransas for camping on the beach. I pull a 40 foot 5th wheel with my diesel and we have camped 3 different times on the beach in Port Aransas. If you want Corpus Christi area then check out the Texas State Park there on Mustang Island about 5 miles from Corpus. We recently stayed there for 6 nights.It isn't directly on the beach but only about a city block from it. Easy walking distance to it.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Some day I will camp in Texas... hopefully Padre Island. Been a dream of mine for 40 years
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

kshayer
Explorer
Explorer
We camped last March in Port Aransas, Texas. Fun little beach town where you can rent golf carts to ride around town and on the beach. There were people camping directly on the beach, but it looked windy and too public for us. There are several campgrounds in Port Aransas that are just over a sand dune from beach, and you can take the golf cart from your campsite to the beach. That's what we did and we had a great time!
Craig and Karen Shayer
Hurricane 34

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you camp on the beach be prepared to be cleaning up sand for weeks and also salt water corrosion so you will want to flush the bottom of your fiver and truck. I guess we are lucky in FL since our sand seems to be bigger grains than the stuff most other places and does not blow around easily.. I recall, not so fondly, the fine sand on Ockrakoke for example.

Camp a few miles off the beach and drive down for swimming.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper