cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas Hill Country Ideas

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to the San Antonio/Hill Country area the first week in April for a 7-10 day trip. Any campground suggestions close enough for a day trip or two into San Antonio? We stayed in the Kerrville years ago, but interested in other ideas and campgrounds as well. We have a 37' Fifth wheel.
Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
timandsusan wrote:
Great time to be in South Texas! For SA, I recommend staying in San Antonio for the visits to the Riverwalk, Missions, Market, Alamo, maybe even golf if you play. Others have given a good list of RV Parks--I would add Admirality near Sea World. For hill country, pick either Kerrville or Fredericksburg. In Kerrville, we like Buckhorn Lake RV Park. In Fredericksburg, visit the National Museum of the Pacific War, eat German sausage, and drive over to LBJ Ranch park. Maybe the wildflowers will be out but that is a bit iffy due to small amount of rain in the December-January period.

Great advise we have stayed and recommend - Admirality, Buckhorn and Fredericksburg RV Park
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Great time to be in South Texas! For SA, I recommend staying in San Antonio for the visits to the Riverwalk, Missions, Market, Alamo, maybe even golf if you play. Others have given a good list of RV Parks--I would add Admirality near Sea World. For hill country, pick either Kerrville or Fredericksburg. In Kerrville, we like Buckhorn Lake RV Park. In Fredericksburg, visit the National Museum of the Pacific War, eat German sausage, and drive over to LBJ Ranch park. Maybe the wildflowers will be out but that is a bit iffy due to small amount of rain in the December-January period.

RBDTx
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Guadalupe River State Park. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/guadalupe-river for a place near San Antonio, or further west near Fredericksburg consider Enchanted Rock. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Around 750 miles from westernmost TN to the TX hill country, I would assume 2 days to get there and 2 to get back home. Or one really really long day each way.
If as much as 10 days I would stay a couple nights in San Antonio rather than driving back and forth and trying to see it all. Riverwalk, Mercado, Alamo, mission trail, Buckhorn Saloon/Texas Ranger Museum, etc. Travelerโ€™s World RV Resort (we liked it) and KOA both get a lot of recommendations and are both convenient to downtown.
Kerrville is certainly a good place to stay (we like Schreiner Park) to visit the hill country area.
Fredericksburg (old German architecture, shopping, winery tours, bluebonnet trails, LBJ homeplace and park ) a little farther north is a beautiful area and makes for an easy drive to other old hill country towns of Llano and Mason. Fredericksburg RV park (a few blocks from down town) and KOA (3 miles east) get good reviews.
There are several lakes just west of the Burnet/Marble Falls area of the hill country with RV parks on/near the lakes but we have not stayed at any of them.