cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas in January

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
Just now looking at possibly going South from Missouri to Texas for a week or two in January. How far South do you need to go for fairly warm weather? Will we be able to find places to stay at this late date. Not looking for activities just someplace scenic. Also really like anything with historical significance.
19 REPLIES 19

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Perfect here in North East Texas today. In the mid 70s. Great day to be working outdoors. Thinking about washing off the front of my RV.:)

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
It was 84 in San Antonio as I was sitting on my porch yesterday. They are forecasting a high of 50 on Monday. So, you can never tell further than a week or so out. I've spent New Year's Eve in Kerrville (northwest of SA), and it was fine. As many have said, depends on what you consider cold, and what you want to do. The further south, the warmer, but it will be harder to find an open site.
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in San Antonio in early Mar of 2014. San Antonio was on the way to Death Valley NP which was a major "to do" on my cross country trip.

When we entered Texas the day before on I-20, we broke out our t-shirts and shorts, because we had finally gotten to some warm weather.

After dropping the TT at the RV park, we took the bus to down town just to look around a little. A cold front came through while on the bus to down town. It got down in the upper thirties. All I had on was a thin nylon jacket, with no lining, a short sleeve t-shirt and shorts. I was freezing.

After getting back to the TT, we changed clothes and took the dog for a walk. Got hit with a lightening and hall storm. That night the water hose froze solid. Fortunately not plumbing was damaged.

To top it off, the next day the temperature was still low. So low, no one was at the River Walk and boat rides had been suspended for the day due to "inclement" weather. No rain or wind, just cold.

Temperatures didn't moderate until we moved on to Fredricksburg, TX.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
According to Weatherbase with 50 years of data, Amarillo, in the northern part averages Highs of 48 and Lows of 22 in January. Laredo, in the south, averages Highs of 68 and Lows of 46.

And, further south in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas where a lot RV'ers spend the winter, in Brownsville, average high in January is 70.6, average low 51.6.

And, some judge "warm enough" by saying "if an orange tree is happy, I am happy. So, drive south until you see citrus trees!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
According to Weatherbase with 50 years of data, Amarillo, in the northern part averages Highs of 48 and Lows of 22 in January. Laredo, in the south, averages Highs of 68 and Lows of 46.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this is not a lot of help but you never know. We have been iced in for two days in Beaumont TX which is on I-10. We also have stayed south of Galveston on the Gulf and been in the high 70's and wake up the next day to 30 degrees. Hopefully you have good timing on your trip. Enjoy.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
Several full-timers I've spoken with who winter in Texas say to stay south of I-10 to avoid the cold. I've lived in Amarillo, Fort Worth and San Antonio - avoid the first two in the winter... San Antonio is better, but can still get chilly (of course, nothing like Missouri).

Rob

I've spent winters along the Gulf for years. South of I-10 is good rule of thumb. How far south depends on your definition of "fairly warm".
Larry

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Big Bend. Boquillos Canyon is a very nice, easy hike. So is Hot Springs. Bring a change of clothes. We like to camp near Terlingua. Allow about 4 days to get a real good feel for the park. If you're coming in from the north west try Davis Mountains SP. Univ Tex has a major telescope there and Fort Davis is real good for history. If you go through San Antonio Rudy's BBQ is a must. "Worst BBQ in Texas". It's been featured on either food or travel channel. Can't go wrong with the coast from Corpus to Galveston.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Concord, you have several choices but, with your time frame.
If you want to get away, I'd drive almost straight south to the Galveston area. Then if that isn't warm enough for you, you can drive a little farther down the coast.
The Hill country area is another option.
Sometimes, even in a state as big as Texas. Scenic, historic and WARM don't all align. But IMO Galveston would be a good start.
Enjoy your trip.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
You might want to check out Lake Corpus Christi state park it is about 45 minutes out of Corpus.

In Corpus Christi The aircraft carrier Lexington is now a floating Museum you can tour and the State Aquarium next door to the Lexington is also nice.

Padre Island National seashore is also not far from there.

Great fishing around the Corpus and Rockport area also!

One loop of this state park has 50 amp and sewer hookups. Nice lake facilities, and evidently a popular stop for birders. We stayed there for the first time last month and loved it.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out Lake Corpus Christi state park it is about 45 minutes out of Corpus.

In Corpus Christi The aircraft carrier Lexington is now a floating Museum you can tour and the State Aquarium next door to the Lexington is also nice.

Padre Island National seashore is also not far from there.

Great fishing around the Corpus and Rockport area also!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be near or at 80 today and tomorrow here in San Antonio. If you go further south to the Valley you will find very mild temperatures all Winter. We can have a couple of weeks of chilly (for us) weather here. Generally it is the same weather as you would find in the Jacksonville/Orlando areas minus the humidity most days.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Rockport, TX and most RV parks are almost full and completely reserved for the Jan/Feb time frame. Right now the weather is just wonderful! You would need to call around to the various RV Parks to see if there had been any cancelations. The RGV has allot of openings from what we hear.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We normally have warm weather all winter in the Rio Grande Valley. Plenty of places to stay. Don't need a reservation. Pick a spot and take time to look around.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/