cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas, Port Aransas in winter

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We are still exploring places for winter trips. We are in Bradenton, FL now and have decided FL is not going to be our favorite.

Last winter we traveled thru Texas on the way to Arizona. We liked TX. We spent a few days in SA and Kerrville. We are now thinking we would try the TX Gulf coast for couple of weeks in January then head to SA, Austin and Waco (DW wants to see all the Magnolia stuff...she is a fan of Chip and Joanna Gaines).

So, looks like Port Aransas would be a good spot for the coast experience. Looking for recommendations for nice RV park there and should we start trying to reserve now for next January/Feb?
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA
12 REPLIES 12

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We have reserved a space at Gulf Waters for 22 nights in January 2018. They only had about 6 or 7 sites available so glad we called now.

Thanks for all the tips.

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
X 2 for Gulf Waters, lovely park.

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, we spent a couple months at Drifters RV in Rockport. We enjoyed the park and the area. Only a couple miles to Port Aransas and the ferry to South Padre Island. I would definitely like to go back again.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
If you cant find anything around Port Aransas, right up Tx35 a few miles is Fulton and Rockport. Rockport is big enough to have everything you need but small enough not to call itself a city. But if you need city life, Corpus is right down the road. Fulton, just a few miles north has some really nice RV parks. We stayed at Sand Dollar RV and Motel and loved the shade and the quiet. Nice restaurant in walking distance and its right on Bay.

craigandsue
Explorer
Explorer
Gulf Waters RV Resort is the nicest in the area. Beautiful nicely spaced sites right on the beach. The others pack you in pretty tight.
Craig, Sue, 2 boys
2013 F350 DRW Diesel, 2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH, 05 Alpenlite 1150 Santa Fe

X-OEM
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Marina Beach RV resort right in Port Aransas last spring. Nice smaller place, only a few pull throughs. Walking distance to lots of places to eat, some shopping.

Weather can be iffy. Was pretty windy (25 MPH and up all day)so sitting on the beach was like sitting in a sand blaster. Can be cool during the day. It was sunny the whole time however.

Lots of things to see close by in a car. Corpus Christie about 30 minutes away. Would go back, usually the weather is nicer than we had.

There are other nicer places if you like the spiffy resort feel, but they all are a ways away from the town so no place to walk to - except the beach Can't remember their names. Gulf Water was one of them, very nice and neat but too isolated for us. The beach is the only attraction.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
aerbus32 wrote:
Last fall, we did a quick road trip by car to visit my son stationed in San Antonio. We visited Magnolia Farms midday on a Monday. Absolutely nuts. Had to park a couple of blocks away. People standing in line to buy things suggested it was going to be about an hour's wait. We also did a quick road trip to both Port Aransas & Rockport looking for RV parks for future visits. We prefer the top of the line resorts with FHU's & satellite clearance. Gulf Waters RV south of Port Aransas is one spectacular park. Expensive. Worth it. We also liked a brand new park in PA itself right next to the Hampton Inn we stayed at. There's a number of facilities in the two areas, many of which would be just fine, but those are the two we liked best.

We did stop for two days in Waco on the way home from a trip out West this past November. Yes, there was a crowd at the Magnolia silos downtown but it wasn't too bad.

Gulf Shores looks like a good bet....nice with big sites and close to the beach. Going to contact them now and see if we can reserve for this time next year.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of weeks? Mustang Island State Park.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last fall, we did a quick road trip by car to visit my son stationed in San Antonio. We visited Magnolia Farms midday on a Monday. Absolutely nuts. Had to park a couple of blocks away. People standing in line to buy things suggested it was going to be about an hour's wait. We also did a quick road trip to both Port Aransas & Rockport looking for RV parks for future visits. We prefer the top of the line resorts with FHU's & satellite clearance. Gulf Waters RV south of Port Aransas is one spectacular park. Expensive. Worth it. We also liked a brand new park in PA itself right next to the Hampton Inn we stayed at. There's a number of facilities in the two areas, many of which would be just fine, but those are the two we liked best.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to be on the beach come on over to Aransas Pass/Rockport. The park where I'm at is extending, they just put in 75 new sites and now getting ready to add 27 more. Rent for next year is supposed to be between $425-$450
Name of the park is Majestic Oak 361-727-0034
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak on Port Aransas but I can agree with you on not being a fan of FL. We have friends in Ft. Meyers, Plant city and in-laws in Inverness. The only place I could tolerate is Inverness/Crystal River but it can still get pretty cool that far north.

We have been to Waco and we stayed at Quail Crossing north of Waco and I found it to be secure and quiet. Its run by a very nice family and while its not much on amenities its a good place to base for a couple of days while there.

We have also been to the Bolivar peninsula/Galveston area and enjoyed it too. All I can say about TX is be prepared for ants. Have some borax on hand to make a barrier around anything they can crawl up on....especially the power cord. I think I brought home a whole colony and it took a while to get rid of them. Happy travels.

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever we go down to Port A, we always stay at Pioneer RV resort. They may be a bit more than some of the others in the area, but a really nice, clean park, well maintained, and right on the beach.