cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The truth about Boondocking

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
I want to know the truth about Boondocking, the pros and cons.
I don't want it to turn into a 'story telling' thread but a thread about concerns, issues, advantages etc.

Some examples I wonder about are where to boondock, how do you know if you're allowed to camp there, how to know if you're not on private land and not get shot for camping there. What do you do with gray and black water? Do you pee in the woods or behind a rock if in the desert to save tank space? Yeah, seems like silly questions but I wonder what people really do?

How long do people stay in one place, do they move when they run out of water or food etc. Do you leave the TT there to get water or whatever?

Do you worry about theft, people roaming around near or in your campsite? I read somewhere about people being attacked by wild animals at night while letting their pet relieve themselves nearby. Is it the 'wild west' shoot first ask questions later?

I've read on the net lots of honky dory stories about boondockong but never the truth about some of the examples I listed above.

These are just some of the questions I'm asking myself and very interested in hearing from others who do this type of camping.
Please add other examples good and bad I love to hear about it and what to do.
Thanks
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!
90 REPLIES 90

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
highplainsdrifter wrote:
As indicated through out this thread, there are many "variations" of boondocking. My style of boondocking does not include a campground, no matter how primitive. To me, boondocking must include:

A location where I can step out of my travel trailer and take a whiz without fear of being seen. This has always been a key element in my definition of boondocking. Obviously, this requires ELBOW ROOM.

A location where I can let my small dog roam the immediate area without fear of a big dog coming along.

A location where I can run my cheap, noisy generator and not bother anyone.

A location where someone else's activities will not disturb me.

Thankfully there are millions of acres in the Rocky Mountains where I can find these conditions. I am so very thankful for our federal lands!

Great definition of "boondock" camping!

I would add:

1) A location where we and our small dog can roam the immediate area without fear of encountering poisonous snakes.

2) A location where we can feel comfortable getting our 24 foot 2WD Class C into as opposed to a location requiring a 4WD truck camper or 4WD Class B to get to.

I like your mentioning generator use also ... as I value good generator systems for the main power in RV's far above good solar systems as the main source of power.

24/7 versatility to camp reasonably anywhere anytime is the name of the game in a good boondocking rig, IMHO.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

highplainsdrift
Explorer
Explorer
As indicated through out this thread, there are many "variations" of boondocking. My style of boondocking does not include a campground, no matter how primitive. To me, boondocking must include:

A location where I can step out of my travel trailer and take a whiz without fear of being seen. This has always been a key element in my definition of boondocking. Obviously, this requires ELBOW ROOM.

A location where I can let my small dog roam the immediate area without fear of a big dog coming along.

A location where I can run my cheap, noisy generator and not bother anyone.

A location where someone else's activities will not disturb me.

Thankfully there are millions of acres in the Rocky Mountains where I can find these conditions. I am so very thankful for our federal lands!

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi icanon!

Yes, this is certainly a good thread. Typically I stay far away from these discussions as my style and practice is often considered extreme and very different than the weekend Boondocker. What I have learned in the years I have been exclusively Boondocking, it is far from dire as many would like to make it out to be. My answer to them, they need to sharpen their skills and be willing to push the envelope beyond the normal areas they frequent. Which, for the weekender and the short and long tripper is often not in their comfort zone. Imagine if you will, I am always traveling in new areas and have never been forced to seek out a Campground or RV Park for lack of finding a Boondocking Site, how do I find these spots?

O.K., I will bite too. I spent more than 40 years backpacking all over this country, from the depths of the Grand Canyon to the Highs of the Cascades and Sierras to the beauty, as well as being part of the food chain, in Yellowstone. I worked for many years in the outdoors from carrying a pack on my back and educating those on and going on the trails of our National Parks, in how to do it safely. As well as carrying a gun on my hip, helping a child who had been terrorized by whom they thought, loved them. From this I bring a bit more to my table of โ€œtoolsโ€ than many of you. But like you, I have learned and practiced my Boondocking skills. Plus made many mistakes along too, but have learned from these, as well.

We all have our life experiences and these experiences often shape and drive us in the choices we make. For me, for decades I hated RVโ€™rs. Everything about them, their size, noise and the individuals seemed not to be at peace with the environment. Like many, I mellowed and my opinions changed and how I saw the world was definitely colored in warmer tones. Now, decades later I find myself one of these RVโ€™rs, too.

Jefe4X4 is right, I was not blessed with a Boondocking gene and it is through necessity and desire to be away from populated areas, sorry guys, but people too, that honed my skills. Boondocking places are there, even near Wal-Marts, because I am always finding them. But it does take practice and my best advice in learning how, is to make it a game. To and from work, or the next time you take a road trip. Start watching for spots and judging them as you go along. This way you begin to recognize what will work for you. Donโ€™t expect others to tell you where they are, or in a book you can buy at the store. Start figuring them out yourselves and spend less time lamenting the loss of Boondocking site.

Donโ€™t expect to find that perfect spot the first night. But arrive in an area you want to explore, such as the Escalante or Nashville, camp in a safe spot and the next day go scouting around the area. Just like a Wal-Mart. There are often many spots better, within blocks, than Wal-Mart to boondock. Roswell New Mexico is a prime example. I saw a Police Officer and waved him over, and asked. He then shared a location that I have now used for years, as I travel through the area.

Use your Spidey skills and you will find these storied Boondocking spots.

As always, travel safely.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Life is sometimes backwards but atleast we can enjoy it whatever we have or do.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
icanon wrote:
I too started out tent camping way out in the sticks with my faithful dog Rover and with my 12 gauge, we used to go for 3 to 4 days at a time. I miss those days with him but today I still hike with my backpack filled with instead of food and sleeping gear it's my camera. Nothing beats the views and experience of being in nature oh the the silence...

I backpacked a few times after we had bought our small motorhome and soon found myself on those backpacking trips daydreaming "boy ... wouldn't it be nice if I could get my motorhome right into this spot where our backpack camp is!".

I don't backpack anymore, but instead enjoy taking all the comforts of home (our motorhome) drycamping to places where I can at least pretend that the campsites are "way out there in nature".

Sometimes I think life is backwards: One should be young with all the time and money and health so as to be able to take an extreme expedition type RV to the far ends of the earth to visit nature .... and then in one's old age have to slow down with no money and no health and no desire to go out in the middle of nowhere in an RV anymore.

I guess you can't have it both ways.

flgator4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for asking this. I've wondered these things too!

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
mrw8i wrote:
I've enjoyed camping since I was a young child. Camping with my parents. They were in an RV, I was in a tent outside the RV. I enjoyed back packing; having to bring everything to survive for 1 week, all on my back. Later in early adult hood, lots of tent camping. Eventually better vehicles could get me further off road with my tent, carrying more and more water to survive. As I grew older had harder and harder time sleeping on the ground and graduated to a pop up trailer; still going to the same out of way places we could tent camp from the car. One night about 10 years ago, got so cold overnight I was done with the pop up trailer and graduated to a small bumper pull trailer. Still going to the out of way places with a trailer that I enjoyed while tent camping.

I found rv.net and found out I was boondocking. Oh okay, I guess that's what I do.

Great story. I too started out tent camping way out in the sticks with my faithful dog Rover and with my 12 gauge, we used to go for 3 to 4 days at a time. I miss those days with him but today I still hike with my backpack filled with instead of food and sleeping gear it's my camera. Nothing beats the views and experience of being in nature oh the the silence...
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
I've enjoyed camping since I was a young child. Camping with my parents. They were in an RV, I was in a tent outside the RV. I enjoyed back packing; having to bring everything to survive for 1 week, all on my back. Later in early adult hood, lots of tent camping. Eventually better vehicles could get me further off road with my tent, carrying more and more water to survive. As I grew older had harder and harder time sleeping on the ground and graduated to a pop up trailer; still going to the same out of way places we could tent camp from the car. One night about 10 years ago, got so cold overnight I was done with the pop up trailer and graduated to a small bumper pull trailer. Still going to the out of way places with a trailer that I enjoyed while tent camping.

I found rv.net and found out I was boondocking. Oh okay, I guess that's what I do.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4
hi thanks for taking the time to reply.

First let tell you and folks here who I am and why I posted this thread.

I used to hunt(big and small game) and fish needless to say I use to hunt big game and camped out for a week or so. I had a pickup truck and made a home made 'portable carport' style tent, backed the truck up into it a bit and voila a living room and used the bed of the truck for sleeping I also had a small wood burning store to keep the place cosy. We also use to relieve ourselves behind some tress away form camp and bury it.
Back then I'm talking 25 plus years ago we didn't worry to much about private land and could practically camped anywhere in the forest. Today it's other story you do a search and find out if you can camp (boondock, you have to look for signs, ask permission and whatever just to legally camp a few nights and in some places if you don't do your homework or see a sign posted "NO TRESPASSING" you could get shot!. Yes times have changed. That said, I just wanted to know the truth about boondocking, I just want a place to lay over for a couple of days/nights and not do it in some walmart, I don't want a concrete forest. I wanted to know what folks do and what are their concerns be it legally camp, how long, cost, equipment, solar or generator or both, water issues, wildlife, Here in Canada I'm use to wildlife but not poisonous snakes, spiders etc. that we don't have here, well at least not yet maybe in the future do to global warming but that's a whole other story.

This thread has lots of great info and I'm surely will read it from time to time before I go out venturing in no-man's land.

Thanks everyone who posted.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
icanon,
I"ve read this entire thread and feel I can actually add some clarity. Boon docking is not for everyone. If you have big fears, stay away. If you want to try it, do it in steps to see if it is right for you. It's fun to dream and talk about this stuff, but the best way is to jump right in; make your mistakes; and reaccess.
There are two major issues you face: decide on which style you embody:
1. Are you a go to one spot and stay a while type camper or are you a 'one-night-one-site' camper, moving every day or so. The later is more of a traveller than a camper. This polar opposite difference in style does affect your choices. How long can you realistically stay off-grid? Most of us are limited by the size of our black tank. What about power? Fresh water? Ability to self-extract (aka: get unstuck)?
2. You are only limited by your technique at finding and getting to a remote site and the vehicle's ability and limitations at getting you there. A lot of that is nose, and lot more is experience. Do you think BKA (Bryan) was as good at finding a cool spot for a day or two 7.5 years ago as he is currently? A sidebar on the vehicle limitation is whether you have carry over technique from another interest, like jeeping or off-roading, truck driving, heavy equipment operating, or back packing. I come from a lifetime of off-roading and chose a conveyance that fits well with that paradigm.
I wish I could say, "go as a group with other like-minded people." Alas, every time we've tried that, it was a no-fit. Every time, except with my brother who has a similar background and drives a rig with the same abilities as ours. No one marches to the same drummer you do. You just need to find that drummer.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
RE_Todd wrote:
LenSatic wrote:
The jack case fits perfectly between the Tahoe's second row of seats and the third row was removed the day we bought it. That's where the dog's travel cage is. He can watch DVDs or listen to his favorite music. He even has his own cup holders. ๐Ÿ˜„

LS
I want to see the dog hold the cup ๐Ÿ˜„

Long tongue. Changing the DVD is a challenge for him, though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
The jack case fits perfectly between the Tahoe's second row of seats and the third row was removed the day we bought it. That's where the dog's travel cage is. He can watch DVDs or listen to his favorite music. He even has his own cup holders. ๐Ÿ˜„

LS
I want to see the dog hold the cup ๐Ÿ˜„
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Gary, thanks for the encouragement and invite to the outstanding area of Penticton ... we'll keep that in mind if we wind up near there.

Maybe we shouldn't get anywhere near Penticton, though. It could be life-changing cuz doesn't Penticton mean "a place to stay forever"? ๐Ÿ˜‰

But it doesn't mean 'stay forever at Gary's place in Penticton'.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary, thanks for the encouragement and invite to the outstanding area of Penticton ... we'll keep that in mind if we wind up near there.

Maybe we shouldn't get anywhere near Penticton, though. It could be life-changing cuz doesn't Penticton mean "a place to stay forever"? ๐Ÿ˜‰

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Phil...the biggest fear you need to adress re:ferries is the cost. Holy doodle..but as far as wide, naw..they guide drivers and there is huge room. Propane is off for 1.5 hrs-2hrs...and you are not down there opening and closing the doors anyway, so...it is no problem. There are literally hundreds of RV's cross everyday.

Still and all...if you keep in touch, I have a spot for ya in Penticton, BC.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/