cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Will be there mid-July. Anyone know what our chances are of getting a site w/o a problem? It's all first-come first-served. FWIW we'll be arriving on a Wednesday. But not til mid-afternoon at best.
7 REPLIES 7

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe is right, very high number of oil field workers in that area, even the
closest Walmart at Dickinson had to stop overnight parking. We parked overnight
at the next closest Walmart to the east, on the north side of Jamestown, a month
ago without a problem. Then you would be situated close enough to go into Theodore Roosevelt National Park the following morning. Check http://www.rvparkreviews.com for other options in Jamestown, but the closer you get to the Dickinson area , the harder it may be to find camping.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Just north of TR park is the Bakken Oil Fields. Lots of oil field workers from all over are there. Last I read, there isn't a hotel, motel or CG spot available unless you're willing to pay a very inflated price. Some farmers were renting out dry camping spaces in their fields. A spot with hookups isn't likely to be available at any price. I'd at least call a CG or two before I made the drive.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Frequently "First come" can mean 15 minutes after the previous is supposed to be out. You might consider jiggering your schedule to arrive earlier. Things happen and it could be a bunch of people all decided to be there that day.

There was a ferry I used to take that was first-come, no reservations. Normally not an issue. I arrived my usual two hours before departure, to learn not only was that sailing was full, so was the following sailing. The only sailing with openings was the last one of the day. People that arrived 6 hours before the last sailing were told there was no further sailings, that day. No way for them to get off the island that day.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
I would suggest you make reservation While they are not necessary, it is better to know for sure you have a place to stay.

Note the date on the photo. We had reservations (- I think but I am not sure.) but the both the North and South part were only about 30% full.

They don't take reservations.

thanks to all for the replies.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest you make reservation While they are not necessary, it is better to know for sure you have a place to stay.

Note the date on the photo. We had reservations (- I think but I am not sure.) but the both the North and South part were only about 30% full.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
If you miss out on finding a spot inside the south section, there is a city campground nearby which should fill your need. One of my favorite national parks, you will enjoy your time there.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go up and stay on the north end of the park, you probably won't have any problem, but check with the south campgrounds first.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.