Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to do around Hunting Island State Park

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We have reservations for Hunting Island early next month. It was going to just be my son and me, but we've had three more people join our group. I'm glad they're coming, but I sort of feel like I need to find some things to do while we're there. Maybe some good restaurants...something besides just hanging out at the campsite. I know the island is a state park and there is nothing commercial there, but is there anything we should do in nearby Beaufort or Fripp Island?
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle
14 REPLIES 14

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
One of our group is allergic to shrimp...and one eats no meat except for shrimp. Should be an interesting trip. Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. Ray and Anne...we'll be there 7/6-7/10 in site 126. ๐Ÿ™‚
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle

Krease
Explorer
Explorer
http://hwy21drivein.com/
2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if they still do it, but several years ago but they used to take small groups (8-10 people) out seine net fishing in the wake. They provide the nets and a guide for instruction. Check at the office.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

parrothead48
Explorer
Explorer
Eat at the Shrimp Shack!! Doesn't look promising from the outside, but some of the best and freshest shrimp you'll ever eat!! Beaufort is a neat little town. If you're on FB, check out Beaufort Pics FB page. He has awesome pictures of both Hunting Island and Beaufort.
2007 Rockwood UltraLite 8388SS
2004 Ford F250 4x4
"We are the people our parents warned us about" Jimmy Buffett

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
Beaufort has a about 4 block river front area, very nice. And hemmingways bar.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing on the pier is free, they will loan a rod and reel, no license required, you buy the bait. For the kids, there is a lot of ranger classes, crabbing, nature, kayaking, etc on the island. We went and had dinner on Fripp last year, no problem.
We will be on lot 69 from 6/30 to 7/14. Stop for a visit. Ray and Anne

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go in the mid-summer, check out the tomato field off hiway 21 between HI and Beaufort. There is also an abandoned church off the same hiway. I think it may be St Helena. The walls are still standing, as is parts of the wrought iron fence surrounding part of the grave yard. The church dates from the 1700's, and the roof and interior was destroyed but fire many years ago.
Now I do not believe in haunted spirits and such, but there is a mausoleum that has been opened and the coffins removed. Several slots for them. Look in and down and you can see a hole below ground level. This place gave me the heebie geebies and it was noon when we pulled in. It may have been called Chapel of Ease. McClellanville is nearby.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Great campground. You can fish off the Pier without a license, they sell bait and rent poles, also can climb up the Light House. Lots of jelly fish on the beach long beach,few people, can swim and play. If like the Marines you can go to Parris Island in Beaufort and go through the museum, no cost.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
If you go into Beaufort, here is something very unique!

http://www.kazoofactory.com/index.html

Have fun the island in fact the whole area is great!
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocks on Weds. night for shrimp.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We go to HI every year. At the park itself, you can make an easy hike to the lighthouse and climb it if you want to, small fee I think. Beautiful beach, of course.

Near by on St. Helena Island, you can go to Gay Fish Market next to small docks with shrimp boats for a Forrest Gump photo, and take home some local catch.

The Penn Center tells the story of slavery on these islands.

About halfway to Beaufort, there is the Bella Luna restaurant for decent Italian food.

Beaufort is very atmospheric, a lot of cute shops. Pretty waterfront park for strolling and sitting with several good restaurants, some with outdoor seating. I've never taken one, but there are carriage rides through town.

Enjoy the Lowcountry!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Fripp has a gated entrance, Beaufort is a nice town to visit
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there a few years ago as well, but never left the island. I wasn't sure what else might be in the area. I suspected that Fripp was off limits unless you were staying there, but wasn't sure.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle

Camp_Wilson
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Hunting Island once about 6 years ago and loved it. However there is not much as for restaurants "nearby". The Island is about 30 minutes from Beaufort and Fripp is a private Island that you can only go on if you are staying there. Beaufort does have some great seafood restaurants, the one I remember most was actually in Port Royal on the docks but can't remember the name. Anyways the park is them most natural park we have ever stayed at. We had to have locks for our outdoor fridge cause the raccoons will get in the fridges and can even unscrew the lids off of items. And one night we were sitting by the fire and deer came up behind us and our boys got to feed them out of their hands. One of the things we enjoyed doing there was crabbing. There are several places that you can crab and fish at and was fun to boil the crab that we caught. We defiantly want to go back to the park soon. Oh if you get the chance near Beaufort is Paris Island which is the basic training camp for the Marines which was really nice to visit. Hope you have fun.
2015 Sunset Trail 270BH