cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Canadian Snowbirds: Prescription medications

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what you all do about prescription medications. When we crossed the border, for the first time we were asked about prescription meds. This is the first year I've had anything of note, and we were told we were only allowed to bring a 90 day supply. We're in the U.S. for 5 months. The border patrol agent said that this has always been the rule, it's an FDA thing, and it just hasn't been strictly enforced, but now it would be. I think he saw the look on my face (I was nearly in tears at this point, I simply could NOT believe this was happening) and said he would let it go this time, but we should be aware of this rule. We don't dare come across again with all the meds we need lest we end up getting barred from the country for good.

Would your pharmacies courier refills? (We're not sure yet if ours will.) Or does one member of your party take a quick flight home every 90 days to fill a prescription? Vancouver and Calgary airports have pharmacies. Or do you find a doctor in the U.S. (Keep in mind meds can be a LOT more expensive in the U.S. A medication I am on costs nearly 10x as much in the U.S. as it does in Canada. Flying back would be cheaper, even if I didn't have points to pay the air fare.)
30 REPLIES 30

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
MamaGoose wrote:
joebedford wrote:
MamaGoose wrote:

The way I understand it is you are allowed 180 days (six months) in a rolling calendar year. That's immigration laws. If you return to Canada for less than 30 or 31 days during your trip, for immigration purposes that does not count as time in the U.S. Any less than that and they still consider it as time in the U.S. So for those people heading north for Christmas for a couple of weeks, it still counts as time in the U.S.

Please provide a reference for "it still counts as time in the U.S."

http://www.snowbirds.org/CSADownloads/csa_travel_guide_en.pdf

Specifically on this subject, page 20, "Time to Allow Between Each Trip".

This link also answers a lot of questions, and one can ask more in the comments section. It's a lot of reading, though, and pertains more to tax issues, but I still found it useful.

http://www.mnp.ca/en/media-centre/blog/2011/2/1/canadians-wintering-in-the-us

I don't think those documents say what you said in your original quote. However, they DO say that if you enter the US and say you're staying for (say) 180 days but return to canada for two weeks, you cannot add two weeks to the 180 days to get 194 days.

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
MamaGoose wrote:

The way I understand it is you are allowed 180 days (six months) in a rolling calendar year. That's immigration laws. If you return to Canada for less than 30 or 31 days during your trip, for immigration purposes that does not count as time in the U.S. Any less than that and they still consider it as time in the U.S. So for those people heading north for Christmas for a couple of weeks, it still counts as time in the U.S.

http://www.snowbirds.org/CSADownloads/csa_travel_guide_en.pdf

Specifically on this subject, page 20, "Time to Allow Between Each Trip".

This link also answers a lot of questions, and one can ask more in the comments section. It's a lot of reading, though, and pertains more to tax issues, but I still found it useful.

http://www.mnp.ca/en/media-centre/blog/2011/2/1/canadians-wintering-in-the-us

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
MamaGoose wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Mama,

Yes you can do 180 days. But the next year you can not as they "carry forward" some of the days. If you go each and every year the maximum stay ends up being 120 days per calendar year. You can stay longer--but there is a form that must be filled out for the US income tax folks where you must prove you have stronger ties to Canada than USA. If you are full time, as I am, that might get dicey.

I think I agree with you but your way of expressing it is a little misleading. The maximum stay is 182 days per year (immigration), but if you average over 120 days per year you MUST fill out a form 8840 for IRS.

I honestly don't know what the rules are for the OPs drugs. We usually get our prescriptions for 180 days and carry them over the border despite stays usually 120-150 days.

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
From the link posted above:

"It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply."

Note: A "rule of thumb" is not a law or limitation.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the correct approach to this is as below...

First, go to your doctor and explain that you will be in the US for up to 180 days. He/she will give you a prescription for 180 days. Call your provincial medicare org. (Pharmacare in BC) and tell them that you need 6 months of meds. and that your doctor gave a prescription for 6 months. They should remove the normal 3 month limit. If you have an extended health care provider as well (Blue Cross, ex.) call them as well and explain the same thing.

Some pharmacies could possibly refuse to fill for more than 90 days or there could be errors in your online records with the province or extended health care provider. I would talk to your pharmacy well in advance to ensure there will be no issues.

For any controlled substances such as narcotics, testosterone and some others (which normally would not be available for more than 90 days), I think what you need is special permission and a prescription renewal from your doctor. He/she will set it up as needed by the provincial gov't. Then you need to take the prescription to a US doctor who will fill out a new one for a US pharmacy.

Be aware of the medications that are considered controlled substances in the US. List here Also, some medications may not be available in the US or are under a different name so I would make sure that there are no difficulties with this. Some over the counter meds like codeine based aspirin (222) are not available in the US.

In any event, the first step is to go talk to your doctor. Also, check the US Customs information online. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure you know about all rules and regs. and any recent changes and that is even more important if you have Nexus cards (otherwise it's cause to have them taken away). Here is link to CBP on 90 day supply of meds.

naysmitj
Explorer
Explorer
If the customs officer noted it in the system, the next time you go through it may show up on the U.S. customs terminal.
Our transporter
2015 Forest River 3051s

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
We have never had any problems with Customs and Our Prescription pharmaceuticals . We spend six months away from Home each and every Winter. All Our Meds go with Us and require Refridgeration.
DW requires an injection every second Week to control Her Arthritus. We can't buy the Drug on the Road so stock pile a six months supply before leaving Home.

You never had problems because you were not questioned.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had any problems with Customs and Our Prescription pharmaceuticals . We spend six months away from Home each and every Winter. All Our Meds go with Us and require Refridgeration.
DW requires an injection every second Week to control Her Arthritus. We can't buy the Drug on the Road so stock pile a six months supply before leaving Home.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Mail the drugs to a friend in USA.
Bear in mind that mailing drugs is illegal on both sides of the border.(check you package declaration)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mama,

Yes you can do 180 days. But the next year you can not as they "carry forward" some of the days. If you go each and every year the maximum stay ends up being 120 days per calendar year. You can stay longer--but there is a form that must be filled out for the US income tax folks where you must prove you have stronger ties to Canada than USA. If you are full time, as I am, that might get dicey.

MamaGoose wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi PackerBacker,

As of June 30, 2014 the Border personnel have access to how many days you have spent in USA. This may cause some grief with the 180 day rule in the near future. The only way to avoid the paper work that I am aware of, is to limit stays to 120 days per calendar year.

Tax issues, the IRS, that's a different thing and that goes by calendar year. That's probably been discussed on this board somewhere already. If you meet the substantial presence test according to the IRS formula, you need to file a form 8840 to prove a closer connection to Canada, otherwise you are a U.S. resident for taxation purposes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Truthfully any drug you take or condition you have is all body related.Doesn't matter what your doctor says about going and having a good time.It is ALL upto the insurance company,not some agent travel office person either.You have a claim it is upto you to prove you get the claim.Not quite like life insurance,when you are dead you are dead.lol.Do you know what tests are all possible and what conditions are tested for in a simple urine test.One or more questions is usually worded "Have you ever been tested for?????"You answer Nope,they are not asking if you have the condition,just have you ever been tested for it.Better be careful.Insurance companies are owned by your next door neighbor who is in it for the investment income,not for your health.Not being paranoid just isn't worth the grief any more.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
pianotuna wrote:
Hi PackerBacker,

I'd love to know whom you insured with and if they operate in Saskatchewan. I had great difficulty in finding any extended coverage this year because I had a minor stroke with no permanent symptoms in March 2014.

As of June 30, 2014 the Border personnel have access to how many days you have spent in USA. This may cause some grief with the 180 day rule in the near future. The only way to avoid the paper work that I am aware of, is to limit stays to 120 days per calendar year.

PackerBacker wrote:
It really depends upon your insurer and medications; mine is 30 days for my blood pressure and asthma medications. That's something you really have to shop around for.

We usually head south in October, return to Montreal in November for the holidays then return south right after Christmas. I absolutely avoid scheduling any routine doctors' appointments during the time we're back for that reason just in case.

I sent you a PM.

... Eric

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi PackerBacker,

Tax issues, the IRS, that's a different thing and that goes by calendar year. That's probably been discussed on this board somewhere already. If you meet the substantial presence test according to the IRS formula, you need to file a form 8840 to prove a closer connection to Canada, otherwise you are a U.S. resident for taxation purposes.