cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traverse City, MI - Need a place to park July 1-2

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I am out of luck in trying to find a camp site in the Traverse City, MI area on July 1st and July 2nd for the big Cherry Festival. All the nearby state parks and Sleeping Bear NP are full up

So, I am sending out an SOS for any and all suggestions/help!!!

My DW and I are in a small 24' Class C and are looking for any available spot to dry camp or anything for a night or two.

Are any Traverse City folks open to renting out a driveway or a private parking spot?

Really want to be able to enjoy the Cherry Festival and the Air Show, etc..

Any and all information or leads, etc.. would sure be appreciated.

Thanks, John S
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
12 REPLIES 12

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
John S wrote:
Thanks so much for the camping suggestions.. Thinks we are set now at the Fairgrounds....
http://www.bata.net/maps-schedules/city-loops.html
Any suggestions on where to park our RV during the day in order to get a good view of the Air Show and festival highlights?

TIA, John S

Leave the RV parked and take a BATA bus down to the beach. They'll have extra busses on for the crowds.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the camping suggestions.. Thinks we are set now at the Fairgrounds....

Any suggestions on where to park our RV during the day in order to get a good view of the Air Show and festival highlights?

TIA, John S
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

slbjw
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked Interlochen State Park? It's very large and seldom fills. It's an easy drive to Traverse City (maybe 15 miles) and has the bonus of being across the road from the world famous Interlochen Music School.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try rvparkreviews for Traverse City for parks listed, then on left hand side will be cities with distances that are around the area where you may find parks. There should be several up that way.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Try the fairgrounds:

http://www.northwesternmichiganfair.net/campground-information
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Paradise Park is about 5-10min outside of town. We stayed there for the cherry festival a couple years ago.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
How far are you willing to drive? Send me a PM, this is my area, I have a lot of local knowledge to share that may help.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bloomis2925
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nice KOA about 15 minutes South of Traverse City that we always stay at in the town of Buckley. Very nice park and a straight shot in for the Cherry Festival. If you are going for the air show day, we get there around 8:30-9:00 and stake our spot on the beach and get a good parking spot. Then we will tour the arts & craft fair and do lunch and then back to our seats for the air show.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Timber Ridge.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind primitive, there are a number of state forest campgrounds in the area. No electricity, vault toilets, etc. but they probably won't be full by any means. Use this map to zoom in on the Traverse City area, then click the campground icon to show the name, location, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
when you say dry camp, do you want just a parking spot?

Many stores in the area. Even a gas station in chums corner with truck parking. Use city bus to get around

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Have you searched private parks in the area? rvparky shows 5 in the area but do involve a little bit of driving to get to downtown area. Closest I find is Timber Ridge, 877-978-3866. Traverse Bay Resort, 231-938-5800.