cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip report: Boondocking in Mojave Desert -- blog post

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took a quick trip to the desert -- boondocking at Kelso Dunes. Here's a link to our blog post:

Mojave Desert blog post
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
10 REPLIES 10

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all of the kind words! JDC correctly mentioned that 85 percent of the folks see nothing but "nothingness." Sadly, for many years we were among the 85 percent who had just driven through the Mojave Desert, going to and from Utah, never thinking about stopping in all of that nothingness.

And then we tried it, basically because we were forced into it -- because of Covid, there was literally nothing available other than boondocking on BLM land.

What did we find? Nothingness -- but a great kind of nothingness. Silence. Isolation. Huge horizons and astonishing stars.

We'll be back, for sure. (But only in cool weather.). 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Great report. I always love reading your posts.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Careful there, you're about to exceed your fun quotient for the year.
Cal

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks for throwing in some geology. the subject has always interested me. 🙂
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to get out all year. In the winter that means the desert. It is part of an outdoor mental health plan. There is plenty of room and no need to be near anyone. I avoid campgrounds. Boondocking is the way.

For the low desert, I like to leave the RV at home to better negotiate the turkey trails and rough roads. We use cots to get above the rocks and reptiles. No tent so we can see the stars. Simple food, a couple of chairs in the shade of the truck. All of that space and you can see 100 miles.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many people think the desert is just a mass of nothingness. 85% of SoCal residence have never visited this this area. 4 wheeling out there is an incredible eye opener.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent. Thank you.
There are some great boondocking sites near Hole-in-the-Wall CG

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Another great one! Happy New year!
Bill

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another wonderful, detailed posting. TY
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad