cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report: boondocking in Sequoia in rain -- it was fun!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole trip report is too long to post here, but the bottom line is that we enjoyed a week by ourselves, even though it was wet and cold. (For drought-ridden Southern Californians, wet and cold are exotic conditions!) Here are a couple of pictures as an appetizer -- this is our site, complete with dark clouds:

And this is the view we had on the last morning, when the clouds finally cleared:

Here is a link to the blog post -- if you have a few minutes, please feel free to check it out!

Blog post -- a week in the rain in the Sierra
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed the full report! Thanks for posting. One day...
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr. Wizard and Outdoor, you are both right! Sunset and Azalea are the coolest campgrounds -- literally -- because they are at 6500 feet, and are located next to Grant Grove.

The campgrounds down at the Cedar Grove end of the road are at a lower elevation but are right near the Kings River -- this shot was taken in Sentinel Campground, right from our campsite, in early May of 2011:

Not a very dramatic shot, but you can imagine the sound of the rushing water tumbling over the submerged boulders -- built in white noise, and built in air conditioning!

Which was a good thing, because the valley floor can get pretty hot during the day, since it is below 5000 feet in elevation. Fortunately, the nights almost always cool off substantially.
About our trailer

MrWizard
my favorite kings canyon campgound has always been Sunset
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the photos and jogging memories! Surprised those black bears weren't CA Blondes.

Kings Canyon is one of my favorites and while we would normally go to Grants Grove, the one time I camped in Cedar Grove may be my favorite campsite of all time. First come first served, arriving on Saturday morning because I got off work too late on Friday and a guy pulling out as I entered said, "Go to site # X. I just left. Great site." Bam, he was right and if he hadn't pointed me to it, I wouldn't have gotten it. Sadly, I couldn't tell you the actual number.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jbrowland, if this is your first time at Lodgepole, you are in for a major treat --and if you hike, it gets even better. Tokopah Falls, Heather Lake, Alta Peak (if you are in great shape -- I'm not), Muir Grove, Lost Grove . . . . . endless possibilities!
About our trailer

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing! We are heading to Lodgepole in about two week for the first time. Very excited!

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Ralph, we saw three in a week -- very unusual. Maybe it's the drought driving them into the moist meadows, looking for roots to munch on??
I was wondering if it was drought related, too. Sounds very possible.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph, we saw three in a week -- very unusual. Maybe it's the drought driving them into the moist meadows, looking for roots to munch on??
About our trailer

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Just spent a week in Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. Exact opposite of OP's weather. Always sunny and daytime temps of around 85 in the canyon (4500 ft) and 70-75 at 6500 ft. Lows were usually around 45-50, but was 38 last night.

Saw 5 bear in Round Meadow, near Giant Forest, at the same time! I rarely see even one in all my summer travels.

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Poncho donkey?

As always, your photos and narrative are a pleasure to peruse and your adventures a testimony to being fit, well-outfitted, and darn lucky. Thanks for sharing.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats the beauty of being campers - can get to experience all of the seasons when you want to...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, we just came back from 10 days in Oregon ... most of the time in rain forest conditions at very quiet campsites along the coast or drycamp in farming country in a lush green field set within an equally green valley. All rivers and streams were full ... with no evidence of drought where we were in Western Oregon.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking camp spot.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab