cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report, Yellowstone.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 2 week trip from Pennsylvania which included 4 days in Yellowstone.The first night we spent at the Richmond,Indiana KOA. Decent over night stop close to I-70. Pull through sites,friendly staff.2nd night was at Pershing State Park in Missouri. Nice state park,electric hookups and nice restrooms. $19 a night. 3rd night was spent at Ogalalla State Recreation Area in Nebraska. It's about 15 miles off I-70. Very nice setting right by the lake. Lots of trees,plenty of space between the sites,some of which are right on the water.New electric hookups. Showers were coin operated and they could use some work. $18 a night plus $5 for entry.4th night in Boulder,Wyoming at High Trail RV park. Nice private campground with full hookups. Nice bathhouse and laundry. Friendly staff.Good separation between sites.I believe we paid $40.

5th day we were in Yellowstone. Stayed at Madison which was one of 2 campgrounds open while we were there.Decent campground with alot of tall trees. With the America the Beautiful geezer pass,entry to the park was free and camping was $13 a night. While not everything was open,there was still plenty to see. We ate at the Inn at Old Faithful which is beautiful and is supposed to be the biggest log structure in the world. We had dinner in the dinning room. Food good and staff friendly.The next day on the road from Norris to Canyon,we came across a mother grizzly with 3 cubs.They walked right towards our van then past the drivers side and went into the woods. My wife got some good video of them. At the Canyon Visitor Center we showed the video to a ranger and another couple. The other couple said they were in Yellowstone 4 times and never saw a grizzly so I guess we were very lucky. The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is beautiful.Mammoth Hot Springs has a nice visitor center. The campground there looks very nice. It looks like there is alot more room between the sites than at Madison.The weather was good with no rain or snow. Most days were in the 50's and 60's and sunny. Nights got into the 30's. Glad we had the generator with because the furnace fan really ran down the batteries at night.
I bought several books while there. One was called " Death in Yellowstone". Very interesting. People killed by bears,freezing, murder,falling. In one instance a couple were killed when the woman backed their car through the railing and over the cliff into the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.
We left Yellowstone Saturday, late afternoon and drove through Grand Teton National Park.We stayed at the Long Horn Ranch RV Park and motel. A very nice private campground in Dubois, Wyoming. Nice sites on the wind river.They get an award for best bathrooms.They were like your bathroom at home with toilet,vanity and shower with tile floors.This was the most expensive campground on our trip. $49.50 with tax.The next day we went to Minden, Nebraska because I wanted to see the Harold Warp Pioneer Museum. If you like history or old cars,tractors,trucks,snow mobiles or motorcycles,you need to see the place. They have a campground which isn't the best,but it was ok for one night. The price was $35 but included one pass to the museum.The next night we spent at an Iowa State Park called Wabonsie State Park off I-29 near Nebraska City.Electric hookups,nice bath houses.Only $16 a night. There weren't too many sites for larger trailers but since it was mid week we got one. The next night was in Ramsey State Recreation Area in Illinois. Nice park with electric hookups.Last night was spent in Ohio at Buck Creek State Park. This park was very beautiful.All sites were paved with electric hookups. We could see the lake right from our site. They have a nice store and bath houses were good.

I know alot of people complain about Pennsylvania's roads,but after going through 10 states,Pa's were some of the best. Missouri was good. We got off the interstate and took Missouri State RT 36 across the state. This is a very good highway with 2 state parks along the way ( Pershing and Long Branch Lake). The only downside was get gas where it's available because there are long stretches without a gas station. The worst roads we were on were in Nebraska,Illinois and Ohio.Gas prices ranged form $1.95 to $2.49.
If you've never been to Yellowstone,go. May was a good time.It wasn't crowded at at and the weather was good. I'm sure September would be a good time too.Make sure to do some research before you go and hit the visitor centers while there.
15 REPLIES 15

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Say....were you the one that folks were telling "you can't do that trip in 2 weeks". ๐Ÿ™‚

It sounds like a great trip for you!

haha yes,we were told that plus we were told it was a bad time because it could snow and most things weren't open. I guess I'm the type who doesn't listen to the naysayers.It would have been nice to be able to take a little more time on the way out and back,but 4 days in the park was fine. On the way home,we met a couple from Florida who was taking a month.That would have been nice but my wife only has 3 weeks of PTO.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
You actually picked one of the best times to go to Yellowstone. End of season (after Labor Day) is the other. That is a good time, because everything is still open for a few weeks but the crowds drop dramatically and the staff are relaxed after a hard summer...and everything is on sale in the stores.

This time of year you get to see spring in Yellowstone and that can be beautiful. You were extremely lucky to see momma bear and cubs. Remember it. People go for years and don't see something like that.

Here in a week it begins and there will be 5 to 10 times as many people as when you were there. As soon as the kids are out of school it starts... Watch the rental RV's carefully...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Say....were you the one that folks were telling "you can't do that trip in 2 weeks". ๐Ÿ™‚

It sounds like a great trip for you!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
FYI there is cell phone reception in parts of Yellowstone.Old Faithful we had reception and 3G data. Near Mammoth Hot Springs we had some reception. My wife has Verizon and I have Sprint.Verizon seemed to have the edge but Sprint wasn't bad.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
AGC wrote:
How many hours/miles did you drive per day

We are also planning a trip with our two boys and want to see how we should break down the hours

First day was about 10 hours. The rest of the trip we did anywhere from 6 to 9 hours. We got to Yellowstone on the 5th day.

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
How many hours/miles did you drive per day

We are also planning a trip with our two boys and want to see how we should break down the hours

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Great reading! Helped take me back to when we visited a few years back. Can't wait to get back someday!

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent trip report. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish more folks would post their trip reports.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Was there much snow about at Yellowstone? By the way we love Madison also.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report. Lots of info on places to stay!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the CG reports on the way, as well as in the park (YNP). We also enjoy state parks; glad you got a good sampling along the way.

You indeed got lucky to see that grizzly and her 3 cubs; postings in the last couple days on Yellowstone employee sites indicate that one of the cubs has already disappeared. Grizzlies are more commonly seen now than they were in the 60s & early 70s; I worked in the park 3 summers and only partway thru my 3rd year did I see a griz. (Saw plenty of black bears in those days; now it's more rare.)

"Death in Yellowstone" is a good book but a harrowing read. I think parts of it should be required reading for some visitors to the park (ahead of time). ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another book is Tracking the Spirit of Yellowstone written by a former Ranger. In it he stated that there are parts of the Park never visited by man.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a fun trip and a great time of year to go!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a fun trip.