cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tucson/KOA/Lazy Days now $52/night! Alternatives you like?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
We have enjoyed the LazyDays/KOA/Tucson park for years, but now, they are priced so outrageously ($52/night, with no weekly rate either) that we are seriously open to considering alternatives. This is a wonderful park with nice, wide spaces, but sheesh... $52 a night???

Do you have a favorite RV park in the greater Tucson area, other than KOA/LazyDays?
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
34 REPLIES 34

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
your rv has wheels. if you don't like then price just keep on trucking.
it is a supply and demand business,if the majority agree with you they will either sell or go out of business.if most people feel it is a reasonable price they will be very successful and live happily ever after.it is the great American way

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
We like Sentinel Peak RV Park near downtown. It is close to a lot of things, including the trolley.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Nice thing about the Lazydays KOA is you're within walking distance of three RV dealers: Lazydays, La Mesa, Pedata. Freedom RV is down the street but it's a hike.

And Camping World is right around the corner.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been our experience that in general, KOA employees have no sense of humor and even less bedside manner.

I did realize that Jerry LaPlante commented on East Coast camping. 52 bucks is super cheap on the east coast. I've seen 80+ and it wasn't a Krudground either.

Actually, I draw the line at 70 because I can Super 8 it for that and park the RV in their back lot.... and have done that, many times in the past. I'm not a 'have to camp in the RV person. I'm cheap. We've been known to have dinner in the camper, parked in the motel parking lot and retire to our room to sleep and bathe. All good with me.

I prefer Quality Inn's because I'm on their bonus points program (free stays with points) but I can do anything where I can park and it costs less than an RV campground.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Nice thing about the Lazydays KOA is you're within walking distance of three RV dealers: Lazydays, La Mesa, Pedata. Freedom RV is down the street but it's a hike.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from $100+ on the coast, I really don't remember what we have paid at campgrounds. If we just need a place to park, we will likely be at the Walmart, Flying J or BLM land.

We have stayed at some really nice KOAs - live bands, coffee houses, restaurants, dog parks, huge no-waiting laundry rooms, etc. I remember a KOA somewhere in the northeast that had an indoor heated swimming pool. Swimming in a warm, steamy pool with a light snowfall outdoors was fun beyond a small price.

For Tucson, Gilbert Ray Campground is beautiful and slightly rustic. Electricity and water, central dump station. No activities other than enjoying beauty.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
we too stayed at Lazy in 2015 the rates were much lower - this winter I moved to Butterfield in Benson AZ for a week it is $240
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a park is staying full or near full at the current rates, expect those rates to increase periodically until the occupancy starts to fall off. That's the way it works...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
A legitimate question quickly turned to a bash KOA. You have to camp the entire country to compare rates. KOA usually is in line with the area if looking at similar amenities. I just completed a trip from Louisiana to Arizona. KOA West of Ft Worth for around $25. I stayed at the Picacho/Tucson KOA for $39.37 with my discount. $43.75 without. It was my cheapest option West of Tucson for an overnight stop. Winter in AZ. Rates go up. Yes, I pay for the KOA membership. See the price on the app no hassle. Book on the app at a fuel stop when I decide where I'm stopping for the night.

For the record, I paid $80/night for crappy hotels with uncomfortable beds and trying to avoid bedbugs on the drive over to pick up the fifth wheel.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, you campers out west are spoiled. Spend a few nights on the east coast.

Our personal cutoff price is $75 a night. If we pay more that that, someone is coming in the morning to change the sheets.

We averaged $38 a night over the 6 month winter trip all around the southeast.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
The going rate at a KOA near Washington, DC that I stayed at earlier this year was $78. I stayed there during VKR appreciation day and got a BOGO rate of $39 a night.

At this point in time there are many RV's being sold but few new campgrounds being built. So I see crowding and higher prices for the foreseeable future. The only way to get around this is to boondock, camp during the week or utilize PA, GS, Escapees or some other discount program.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
$52 a night sounds reasonable. Gone are the days of $25 a night campgrounds. On our Yellowstone trip the average rate was $45, some nicer places were a bit more, some so-so places were cheaper. Iโ€™ve paid as much as $90 a night for a campground that is close to attractions with nice amenities.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
$52 per night for FHU actually sounds reasonable for A KOA if you like such places. The one 4 miles from our home in PA is more than that I think (they don't put their rates up so you can check them on the websites without a lot of BS), and IMO it's a sort of dumpy, crowded place filled with about 75% seasonals. I'm certain it was more than $52 a few years back. I just played with the Tucson KOA site and it shot me back $100 per night.

Heck, for full hook ups here at any of the PA state parks that have them, you'll be set back $44-$46 per night and no pool, goofy golf, etc.

I think if $52 is too much for a FHU at such a place, you may want to re think the RV thing? I don't see rates going down.......anywhere.

I wish we had the millions of acres of BLM facilities and all the dispersed camping available like out west. If you want cheap AZ has what? 12 million acres? From what I can tell the BLM developed campgrounds are cheap. But if you absolutely need hook ups and pools, bring the checkbook I guess.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Catalina State Park up in Oro Valley.

+1

Never stayed there but thereโ€™s also Cactus Country near the fairgrounds and have heard good things. https://www.cactuscountryrvpark.com

X1!!!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would shy away from the Prince of Tucson. When we stayed there, there were a lot of work campers staying there working on the highway projects. Because of the crews start very early in the morning due to the mid day heat, the workers would go roaring out of there before 6:00AM on their Harley's waking everyone up.

And certain sections of the park are too tight for RV next to each other for both to put their slides out.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.