cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tucson/KOA/Lazy Days now $52/night! Alternatives you like?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
We have enjoyed the LazyDays/KOA/Tucson park for years, but now, they are priced so outrageously ($52/night, with no weekly rate either) that we are seriously open to considering alternatives. This is a wonderful park with nice, wide spaces, but sheesh... $52 a night???

Do you have a favorite RV park in the greater Tucson area, other than KOA/LazyDays?
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
34 REPLIES 34

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, 2gypsies. Thanks.

I'm wondering how somebody here got their post removed? Somebody named WesternRVParkOwner, or something like that?

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Go the the KOA when in Tucson. Simple as that - in Tucson, like most park areas anyplace (in general) you get what you pay for (sites very important to us to as we are not interested in all the hoopla). There are not many good private parks in Tucson. And it is centrally located....location has advantages.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Our personal wealth/rolling stock, and the value of our property in Scottsdale, has nothing to do with this discussion. I didn't become wealthy by ignoring the costs and valuation of things. So, save it.

I wanted to learn of other parks in the area which might be less costly than Lazydays KOA.

I made it perfectly clear that we have stayed here at Lazydays many times and enjoy it here, and will certainly stay here again when we are so motivated.. But since they have raised their rates and eliminated the weekly rate, I wanted to know if there might be other good options in the area to stay for a week, or two, or a month... PERIOD.

As for on-site restaurants, laundry facilities, pools, rec rooms, organized activities, proximity to shopping, etc., those are not of much, if any, interest to me. The size of the sites, quality of the hook ups, and relative quality of the surroundings are meaningful to me. We're not looking to be entertained, nor for social activities.

I don't care what the going rate of sites may be in other parts of the country, nor how attractive $52/night may be to those who pay much more elsewhere. Rght now, I'm interested in Tucson.

To those who want to tell me to go elsewhere if I don't like the rate, that someone else will come along to take my place when I vacate (this park is about 1/2 full right now!), or want to attempt a lecture on capitalism - save it. You're wasting your time, effort, and our bandwidth. I pay attention to the cost of things, even when I can easily afford them. I am a big spender and splurge on the things I would like to have, but I'm always looking for good pricing and value, even with relatively inexpensive things.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
In all respect to 2gypsies I can't disagree with the numbers. But being center located makes it best to go to EITHER the east or west side...both of which have desirable things to see. I like Voyager; have stayed there. DeAnza is south of where we live in Sahuarita and is a nice park but you are about 40-55 miles south of Tucson (depending on where you are going in the city). You do have Madera Canyon down there which we love and spend a lot of time at.

He might have missed the point on the rv and park costs though.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to the folks who replied with suggestions of other parks around Tucson - as I asked for.

The others? Well, like every public place, there will be some losers with bad attitudes.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
First - what you own has absolutely nothing to do with what you'll pay for an RV park. We had a 40' motorhome and our first choice was always boondocking or public parks. We disliked having to pay the prices of RV parks because we enjoyed outdoorsy things to do in natural surroundings and didn't enjoy looking at other RVs parked in a row.

I gave a link above for the Voyager RV which Lauren said is way on the east side. It's actually only 8.3 miles from the KOA - 12 minutes according to Google maps. ๐Ÿ™‚ It has a lot more activities than the KOA.

Rates:

Voyager - $294/week ($42/night)
Voyager - $828/month ($27/night)

Cactus Country - which would be at the bottom of the list is:
$617-$774/month; $252 - $288/week

Tucson Fairgrounds - $125/week

South of Tucson is a very nice RV Park which would give you a chance to explore a different part of Arizona and yet you could do day touring in Tucson. It's called DeAnza RV in Amado.
DeAnza RV: $260/week; $675/m + electric

Catalina State Park is $30/night

Gilbert Ray Pima County Campground is $20/night

Out of all of these, Gilbert Ray would be our first choice followed by Catalina State Park.

It all depends what you plan to do once parked. You have plenty of options.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Supply and demand. The demand has overtaken the supply so the suppliers can charge what they want to (and do) but then my wife and I rarely stay in any campgound. We prefer disbursed camping.

We don't like crowds anyway and If I want to be around people I can visit my friends in the city. Not us, never has been.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
It's not bad behavior. It's supply and demand. If enough people choose to stay elsewhere, the price will drop or weekly rates will return. That's American capitalism. If they are full every night, they aren't charging enough.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
OK, have lived just south of Tucson for 15 years and have checked out the RV parks a few times. Voyager would be my second choice as it is way on the east side. I would not recommend Justin's and others out there for several reasons - P M me if you want more on that.

I recommend the KOA.

OK, $52. And you think that is unreasonable. It is high season here and living in Scottsdale you should know that.

Let's see, as said, look at your rig - and you live in probably the most elite, high priced city in AZ.

It is not a KOA issue at all. It is what is offered - including a very central location.

Been PT RVing 20 years and, guess what, RV parks are like hotels when it comes to pricing - location, amenities and season. Look at Yellowstone area of CA Coast (as an example) in the summer!

Merry Christmas everyone.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is always Wal Mart parking lot no hook ups or Lowes or Home Depot for free.

Fact of life is, campgrounds can charge whatever they want to, there is no set rate schedule and with the amount of units versus the spaces available it's not surprising at all.

You are a captive audience so you get jammed... and you'll like it.

In my view, Krudgrounds and experts at jamming, always have been, nothing will change.

My suggestion is, buy land, build an RV park and joint then bandwagon. I'm actually thinking about doing just that. Looks to me line a very good business model.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DesertDogs wrote:
Cactus Country looks like it might be a pretty good park. We're going to check that out.

We will still stay at Lazydays from time to time. It is a great park with much to offer by being here. We just don't like the big bump in nightly rate and no weekly rate anymore.

Sounds like supply and demand to me. I'm sure there is a lesser park to fit your budget. But it won't be quite as nice as the KOA.
I also imagine someone else will come along willing to pay for the spot you vacated.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Cactus Country looks like it might be a pretty good park. We're going to check that out.

We will still stay at Lazydays from time to time. It is a great park with much to offer by being here. We just don't like the big bump in nightly rate and no weekly rate anymore.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be patient. Greed spreads....
2015 Backpack SS1500

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
your rv has wheels. if you don't like then price just keep on trucking.
it is a supply and demand business,if the majority agree with you they will either sell or go out of business.if most people feel it is a reasonable price they will be very successful and live happily ever after.it is the great American way

Your post was a waste of time. I wasnโ€™t asking for donkey dung, but rather for people to share other parks in the area that they like.