cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turning your heat off at home while in Florida

napanee_ted
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if its a good idea to turn your heat off and drain the water pipes while in Florida.Will this hurt the foundation and cause problems.

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We winterize the plumbing (in case of power outage) and then set the thermostat to 50. No problems

I also added some Amazon Cloud cams, which allowed me to see that a person was shining a flashlight around our living room at 3:15 AM one night... they must have noticed the stickers near the doors that say I have surveilance, because nothing ever happened
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I set the thermostat at 10C and shut off the water. We have a smart thermostat and s service that I can log onto and look at the temps minute-by minute, it also is set to send me and our house checker an email if the temp goes below set point, it also warns loss of connection (for example power failure if power is off for longer than the battery backup lasts).
I don't want to go through the hassle of winterizing the water system if I shut off the furnace, don't like pink showers when we return!

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a "Ring Spotlight Camera" over our garage door to compliment the "Ring Doorbell". I may add another Spotlight Camera for the backdoor/yard before we leave this winter. The Ring allows me to use my smartphone to see when anyone approaches our house and anytime I want to see what it's like back home.

I use an Ecobee thermostat on our heatpump to monitor the temperature inside the house. It alerts me when temperatures exceed my settings and when the auxiliary heat runs more than an hour in any 24 hour period. I can adjust the thermostat from my smartphone.

I don't drain the pipes but I do shut off the water as it enters the house and flush a toilet to relieve the pressure. I turn off the water heater and unplug as many power supplies as possible. Several lights are controlled by smart switches according my schedule to give the house a lived in look.

Cancelling the trash pickup saves us a bunch too. I submit a "Vacation Watch" to the local police and they check the doors on an irregular basis to make sure the place stays secured.

I contract (POA) with a lettercarrier out of our post office to collect my mail in my absence and forward it to me at the addresses I supply along our route. This has worked better than any method we've ever used including relying on relatives.

These measures allow me to enjoy our trips without worrying about the house or relying on others to stop by and check things (which never worked anyway).
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about 300 miles west of your 10-20.
We just turn the furnace thermostat down, and don't touch the water.
For thermal backup, I've got 2 X 30K BTU gas fireplaces, one up, one down, standing pilot, thermostatically controlled, set to fire up at just slightly lower than the furnace thermostat setting. If the power were to go out, the 2 fireplaces can heat the entire house, and keep the pipes warm. We hardly use our furnace in the winter at all any more, it's become the backup. We let the fireplaces handle the heating, and just keep it for summer cooling.
I can check the temperature via remote security camera access, if necessary.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We turn the heat down to 55โ„‰ in our upstate NY cottage and turn off the water heaters and pump plus depressurize, not drain, the water system. We monitor the cottage temperature with an Acu-Rite system that alerts us by text message if the temp drops below our alert settings so we can notify family to check on it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
not off, down. we haven't drained water as we have a whole-house genny in case of a power failure.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a PM

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask a neighbor that leaves during Winter. They will leave the heater on.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
in ohio we turn stat to 50deg and drain pipes ,you just never know about the weather. and have a friend check every week.

In Seattle, X2.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
in ohio we turn stat to 50deg and drain pipes ,you just never know about the weather. and have a friend check every week.