cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting Carlsbad Caverns. Need RV Park. Where to U stay?

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Carlsbad. Have read all the reviews I could find and wasn't all that impressed with the RV park reviews.
Visiting on Christmas Day. Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Happy Holidays and safe travels.
14 REPLIES 14

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at KOA and would stay again. The park is very well maintained, the personnel are very friendly and helpful. Also, at the time we were there you could have your dinner delivered to your site if wanted. We did that....after spending the day at the caverns it was nice to come back to the motorhome and have dinner delivered. Enjoy your stay and have safe travels and a Merry Christmas.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the escapees park and it was a wonderful stay. Lakewood Ranch- near Carlsbad - $14 /night or $50/week +electric & taxes etc. That park did get flooded out a few months later. I think they are all repaired by now...just keep an eye on the weather and pick your cg accordingly.

Lakewood Ranch SKP's CGhttp://www.skpranch.com/location.htm
Kathy

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Was just checking and hope you realize Carlsbad Caverns are closed on Christmas Day. Also, their elevator is out until further notice. This means you must walk in/out of the natural entrance which is a steep 750' trail. More info can be found at the nps.gov web site.

Wow, we were there in April, saw the natural trial in decided on the elevator in an INSTANT! That would be a tough walk out!

We stayed at Whites City, not too impressed with that place. Nice and close is about all it has going for itself.

Dan

Savary_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
Also stayed at Brantley in 2013 and was very happy with the park.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was just checking and hope you realize Carlsbad Caverns are closed on Christmas Day. Also, their elevator is out until further notice. This means you must walk in/out of the natural entrance which is a steep 750' trail. More info can be found at the nps.gov web site.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We normally boondock but Brantley Lake SP worked for us when we wanted amenities.

If you're in reasonably good shape, the Lower Cave tour is a great addition to your Caverns visit.

For us, other points of interest in the Carlsbad area include
the zoo http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/livingdesertstatepark.html

Sitting Bull Falls http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lincoln/recarea/?recid=34238

Dog Canyon http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lincoln/recarea/?recid=34238

McKittrick Canyon http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lincoln/recarea/?recid=34238

and driving the FS roads in Lincoln National Forest

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If you can do without services there is a really neat free boondock spot on BLM land se corner of nm 720 and Black River crossing. Place a spotter at the top of the west bound hill while you back in off 720. Believe me, its worth it.
The pond there is good bass fishing, Edit-- you must back in,off 720 there is no room to turn around. Look at google maps nm 720 and black river crossing.
Max

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at both Brantley Lake State Park and Guadalupe Nat'l Park...and climbed up that mountain. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, visit the Guadalupe Mts NP. Guadalupe Peak is 8749ft. The highest point in Texas. The best view is from the highway just passed it. Impressive!!!
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Since the park was mentioned, there is a campground at Guadalupe Mountains NP headquarters. I think it is just a paved parking area with no hookups.

x2 on Brantley Dam but it is about 50 miles from there to the caverns.
I need some wild

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We also stayed at the KOA. And would again. Not exactly convenient to the caverns or town, but the best around anywhere close that we found. There is a small RV park right at the turn off to the park. But rvparkreviews.com reviews are poor, and from looking at it from the road I would guess valid.

Walking in the natural entrance is great (if you are in reasonably good condition). But you better be in great condition to walk out.

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
While I have not stayed at any of these parks I am living nearby and have looked at them. As suggested the KOA seems to be the best choice and I believe that you will see several votes for it. There is also Brantley Lake State Park in the area if you are inclined.

One suggestion and one caution if I may.

The suggestion is to try to drive a little farther down the road and visit Guadalupe Mountains Nat Park if you have time. A stop at the visitors center and Frijole Ranch house would be a nice stop if you have never been in this area.

The caution is to be aware of the weather. I don't know where you are coming from or your schedule but the weather is being forecast to change significantly on Sat with forecasts of rain and snow with much colder temps. This area has a tendency to have freezing rain as well and the roads do get closed at times so just be informed.

The last thing that comes to mind is that some time back there was a report that the elevator into the caverns was out of service so the only way in and out was the walking entry. Don't know if this is still the case or if it is important to you but wanted to share.

Hope you have a great trip.

Terry

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Brantley State Park, and were very well pleased with the campground.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Carlsbad KOA which is actually about 45 minutes to an hour drive to the Caverns. There are parks a lot closer, but we would not have wanted to stay at any of them. There is also a Escapees park nearby the KOA, but we did not check it out.

Honestly it was one of the nicest parks we have stayed at and we normally are pretty picky about where we stay, but like most KOAs not cheap. Nice large spaces, neatly maintained, nice laundry, good dog park, decent WIFI, good 50 AMP service and spotless bathrooms. The office personnel were professional and friendly. At the time we were there, there had been torrential rains thru the area and the area by the office for check in did have some potholes open up, but other than that the roads where well maintained and easy to navigate. They provided pizza and bbq meals that you could have delivered to your RV or eat in the meeting area by the office.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie